The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 13, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #11,791 of 22,434
Hey All,

Long time lurker here, and previous owner of the 1266 OG. I am taking delivery of my new 1266 Phi TC tomorrow afternoon and wanted to ask this group about my current amp situation, as I have questions...

First... My current setup was for ZMF Verite which consists of the Mjonir 2 and Gumby combo, which I like very much with the Verite. I am wondering if it's rated 5w at 50ohm will be the right type of power for the TC. Schit doesn't list the voltage, but does list the gain difference between high and low (8 (18dB) or 1(0db), via front-panel switch). My question is if the MJ2 will do well, or should I transplant the Raggy/Yggy from the basement to my upstairs listening room? Has anyone tried an MJ2 on their TC?

Previously, with the OG 1266, I was using an old speaker amp and an AudioGD R28... seemed OK, but nothing that ever made music sound.... special.

I could potentially get in to a WA33, or a 430HA, but thought it best to ask if the MJ2/Raggy would provide good power for the TC. I have quite the selection of tubes for the MJ2 btw... probably why I am hoping it will work.

Aug 13, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #11,792 of 22,434
My question is if the MJ2 will do well, or should I transplant the Raggy/Yggy from the basement to my upstairs listening room? Has anyone tried an MJ2 on their TC?
I briefly had the Mjolnir 2, I was using it with the OG but I think my impressions would remain the same with Phi or TC. I thought it was horrible -- very thin and flat sounding, something was definitely off. Not sure if it lacks current since wattage theoretically should be enough, but something about the pairing clearly didn't work IMO.

Aug 13, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #11,793 of 22,434
I briefly had the Mjolnir 2, I was using it with the OG but I think my impressions would remain the same with Phi or TC. I thought it was horrible -- very thin and flat sounding, something was definitely off. Not sure if it lacks current since wattage theoretically should be enough, but something about the pairing clearly didn't work IMO.

Wow... that's concerning to hear, but I do appreciate your thoughts on the pairing!

Aug 13, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #11,794 of 22,434
Wow... that's concerning to hear, but I do appreciate your thoughts on the pairing!
YMMV, maybe it will be different for you. I hope so since you already have the amp, but yeah, for me it was not ideal.

Aug 14, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #11,796 of 22,434
Returning to the custom cables topic, after trying the Silver cable for a few days I returned to the stock cable without regret. Except the first day which seemed like an upgrade to me, from the second on it started to give me a more detailed but artificial sound sensation, it made the listening nervous rather than relaxing.
I'll try to have it replaced with a copper cable. However, the stock has its own big why.
image.png

Aug 14, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #11,797 of 22,434
1266 TC.jpg

I took delivery of my TC about a few hours ago.I have a lot more listening to complete, but so far the MJ2/Gumby stack is pushing the ever-loving hell out of these on low gain. The Amperex Bugle Boys are adding a little warmth to the sound vs. the Raggy/Yggy in the basement. I can certainly tell it's not as detailed as the pairing in the basement, but I am happy to trade a slight amount of that detail for some warmth.

I will update with some impressions later this weekend between the two setups, but I am very pleased with what Abyss has done with the iteration of their 1266. I can certainly tell the difference between the TC and the OG 1266. Well done team Abyss.

Aug 16, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #11,802 of 22,434
What is a cheaper amp strong enough for the TC, but cheap lol
To be paired with a chord dac?
Ragnarok 2 has plenty of power for any headphone you'll ever have. Sounds great with speakers as well.

The Topping A90 is also a decent choice if price is the biggest factor. The Monoprice Liquid Platinum (on sale right now for $485) also paired well with the Abyss when I owned them.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #11,803 of 22,434
What is a cheaper amp strong enough for the TC, but cheap lol
What is your budget? Do a little digging a few pages back. Someone was compiling a list of inexpensive amps. Under $1k I thought the Cayin iHA-6, Monoprice Liquid Platinum and Flux FA-10 sounded good, all more than competent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back