The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 17, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #11,807 of 22,443
Aug 17, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #11,808 of 22,443
the TC is REALLY not a traveling HP

Aug 18, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #11,810 of 22,443
I’ve been enjoying my Diana Phi powered by Sony DMP-Z1 for several months and the issue I have now is nothing else in my collection of headphones sound good. I also love IEMs but they don’t come remotely close in performance to DP. If you get 1266 or Diana Phi, be prepared to be disappointed by the other headphones you used to enjoy. Now I am slowly listing all my headphones on eBay. ABYSS needs to make an IEM and I’ll be all set.

Pardon me for bringing an old post back but I am quite curious about the combination of Diana Phi and the DMP Z1 ( I have neither but interested in getting them) . I am very new to this hobby but I heard the Diana was reputedly difficult to drive/amp picky. Can the DMP Z1 with only 1500 mW on paper really bring out DP's full potential ? The online headphone power calculators seems to say okay but how does that translate to reality? I have a small study which I share with my family and the minimalism of the DMP Z1 quite appeals to me. Thanks in advance for you guys' input.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #11,811 of 22,443
Aug 18, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #11,812 of 22,443
Aug 18, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #11,814 of 22,443
Hi folks, I have an issue with my pads, the glue which puts the leather to frame is oozing out and makes my pads a sticky mess (right where one touches them and it stays on the fingers), plus they are also slowly getting detached. They are exactly one year old and where always nicely cared for (not wet or even sweaty). I actually think too much glue was applied when manufactured.

I do currently not have the funds to buy new pads ... so, any ideas what to do? May be take them off altogether, clean it all to get rid of the residue glue, and get a new layer on it?
Any ideas highly appreciated.

IMG_1574.jpeg

Aug 18, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #11,815 of 22,443
Hi folks, I have an issue with my pads, the glue which puts the leather to frame is oozing out and makes my pads a sticky mess (right where one touches them and it stays on the fingers), plus they are also slowly getting detached. They are exactly one year old and where always nicely cared for (not wet or even sweaty). I actually think too much glue was applied when manufactured.

I do currently not have the funds to buy new pads ... so, any ideas what to do? May be take them off altogether, clean it all to get rid of the residue glue, and get a new layer on it?

IMG_1574.jpeg
I would say even safe, gel form school glue might be commitment enough. As it won't be runny, yet it's an *amateur * lvl of a glue... Yet sufficient for function? Why not?

Aug 18, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #11,816 of 22,443
I would say even safe, gel form school glue might be commitment enough. As it won't be runny, yet it's an *amateur * lvl of a glue... Yet sufficient for function? Why not?

I am just hesitant taking the whole thing apart, and that the glue might not come off as expected. Anybody had similar issues and tried to fix it?

Aug 18, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #11,817 of 22,443

I would reach out to Abyss customer service to get their input In a potential solution beyond just buying new pads. Hell, they may even cover it under warranty. You just never know...

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #11,818 of 22,443
I have now put around 30 hours of total head time on the TC over the course of the last 4 days. I guess working from home has some hidden benefits. I will maintain that the combo of MJ2/Gumby is my personal preferred listening setup for the TC (of what I currently have available). The main area where the MJ2/Gumby excels is with female vocals. I will give you a bit of a comparison on some female vocal songs below between the MJ2/Gumby and the Raggy/Yggy.

Rebecca Pidgeon - Spanish Harlem

Now, Rebecca has a very smooth and gentle voice on this track (I am assuming that everyone here has heard it), but the song should be presented as a large room with her voice filling the center stage until the instruments come in around the 1:40 mark. The Raggy/Yggy, while doing a great job of reproducing the correct tonality of the track, it tends to flatten and compress the stage more than the MJ2/Gumby. The Raggy/Yggy makes this song absolutely sing on my 2 channel system in the basement, but on the TC I prefer the presentation delivered from the MJ2/Gumby. It's just so smooth and relaxing.

This track, to me, is quite challenging for any headphone. The vocal clarity and tonality is important to get right... if not, Rebecca can sound very strange indeed. Both of these setups did a great job of recreating her tone, but there was just more timbre with the MJ2/Gumby than the Raggy/Yggy on the TC. The TC is really one impressive headphone, as many... MANY other planars would make this track sound tiny and really hollow. Another well done for the people over at Abyss.

Holly Cole - Train Song

Again, another very popular track that does a great job of showing up gear all along the chain. Holly has such an interesting voice, and in this song she plays between speaking and singing.

I would reach out to Abyss customer service to get their input In a potential solution beyond just buying new pads. Hell, they may even cover it under warranty. You just never know...

I did reach out and was told that pads are considered wearables. The advice was to replace them.

Aug 18, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #11,820 of 22,443

IMG_1574.jpeg
too much sun maybe???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back