The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jul 2, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #11,281 of 22,406
IMO, the AIC-10 is a ridiculous investment in an amp. It's a crazy amount of money to spend for a headphone amp. Yes, I know it can still give you a Whopping 10W for speakers too, but for that kind of money, you can get a top, top, top tier speaker amp that you can use with your headphones, and then let it do double duty for good speaker, not just super efficient ones that you would need for 10W. In addition wait until you to try to sell the AIC-10. You are going to need a case of vaseline for how bad you're going to get eff'd.
Lol. No doubt on the used market.

I tend to agree, unless you have money to burn, it's not the best investment from a cost standpoint. Lots of options at that price range. Looks sexy as hell tho

Jul 2, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #11,282 of 22,406
Yes, you. What is your opinion based on?

You couldn't figure it out from what I said? Price only. It doesn't matter how great it sounds. There are many, many speaker amps that would sound as good or better, and at a better value, and pull double duty driving speakers if he comes at some point at the price level of the AIC-10.

I'm not averse to spending money on equipment as my amp and preamp is north of what that costs, but to me, it is a better value, and I won't get killed selling it.

As I originally said IMO. This forum isn't limited to opinion just based solely on the sound of a component, but also on discussing other factors in purchasing. Of course what something is worth to one person, may not be to someone else.

Jul 2, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #11,283 of 22,406
You couldn't figure it out from what I said? Price only. It doesn't matter how great it sounds. There are many, many speaker amps that would sound as good or better, and at a better value, and pull double duty driving speakers if he comes at some point at the price level of the AIC-10.

I'm not averse to spending money on equipment as my amp and preamp is north of what that costs, but to me, it is a better value, and I won't get killed selling it.

As I originally said IMO. This forum isn't limited to opinion just based solely on the sound of a component, but also on discussing other factors in purchasing. Of course what something is worth to one person, may not be to someone else.
Well your opinion that it does not matter how the aamp sounds tells me all I need to know about the value of your opinion. I am surprised you participate in this thread given the cost of the Abyss. Surely you can find something at a lower price.

Jul 2, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #11,284 of 22,406
Well your opinion that it does not matter how the aamp sounds tells me all I need to know about the value of your opinion. I am surprised you participate in this thread given the cost of the Abyss. Surely you can find something at a lower price.

You should invest in a reading comprehension class. If you were able to understand what I was saying, you would realize that:

I am not complaining about the price of equipment, as I said:
A) My amp and preamp costs more than the AIC-10.
B) There are better values out there at that price level which will sound as good or better.
C) The financial loss in selling it will be huge.

So have the common sense to pass over my post, not reply, and just read the ones that are easy for you to understand.

Jul 2, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #11,285 of 22,406
You should invest in a reading comprehension class. If you were able to understand what I was saying, you would realize that:

I am not complaining about the price of equipment, as I said:
A) My amp and preamp costs more than the AIC-10.
B) There are better values out there at that price level which will sound as good or better.
C) The financial loss in selling it will be huge.

So have the common sense to pass over my post, not reply, and just read the ones that are easy for you to understand.
...”sound good or better” and yet how it sounds doesn’t matter...? oh and you can say these other amps sounds a good or better because...? You make absolutely no sense and have no credibility.

Jul 2, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #11,286 of 22,406
Guys...

Jul 2, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #11,287 of 22,406
...”sound good or better” and yet how it sounds doesn’t matter...? oh and you can say these other amps sounds a good or better because...? You make absolutely no sense and have no credibility.

No. I'm giving it's do that it could sound fabulous. I'm just saying that there are others out there as well that can sound as good or better which would be a more intelligent option.

You can't dispute that or you're going to be guilty of the same thing that you're accusing me of..... commenting without hearing.

Btw, this may be an unusual way of looking at choosing equipment, but I think it should be a factor. It certainly is for me.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #11,288 of 22,406
Anyone ever put on their Abyss and the music gives them so much energy/smiles that they visit this thread during the song to expel some of that overwhelming positive energy? *raises hand at moment*

Jul 3, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #11,289 of 22,406
IMO, the AIC-10 is a ridiculous investment in an amp. It's a crazy amount of money to spend for a headphone amp. Yes, I know it can still give you a Whopping 10W for speakers too, but for that kind of money, you can get a top, top, top tier speaker amp that you can use with your headphones, and then let it do double duty for good speaker, not just super efficient ones that you would need for 10W. In addition wait until you to try to sell the AIC-10. You are going to need a case of vaseline for how bad you're going to get eff'd.

Leaving polemic aside, I think the point you are making is that for you investing this amount of money in a headphones amp is too much. Legitimate, understandable and probably widely shared.

Having said that I find debates such as “is it worth the money?” not very interesting, it is just too subjective. Listening impressions are always subjective, but they can be useful (and fun) to debate. When it comes to investment decisions the discussion quickly hits the wall…

Coming back to you point, and to move the discussion forward, I think that products such as the AIC-10 are “shocking” today because we have seen very few headphones’ amps at this price point (I can only recall Viva at the moment – another Italian amp!).
When the HD800 was launched in 2009 the price was a shocker. I also suspect that the range of top dedicated amps to make them shine was rather limited. Ten years later we (crazy HeadFiers) have come accept that companies can propose cans for 5 - 6k euros. Similarly, DAC specifically designed for headphones (e.g. Chord) also go for above 10k euros to no one surprise. Few amp companies are going in that direction at the moment and they are obviously raising some question marks.

Again, I am not interested in convincing anyone about the “worth” of Riviera, my point is rather than the headphones world, including amps, is catching up with a more consolidated trend in speakers hi fi. The offer is wider at all price levels and the very top we now have incredibly well designed, performing and expensive products.

Is that good or bad? I leave it up for discussion 😉

Jul 3, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #11,290 of 22,406
It's been about two weeks since I received Abyss TC.

When I take it off in the evening, I can't wait to go back and listen to it again. I didn't think such a quality of listening could be achieved through headphones.

That said, in my opinion, you don't need tons of watts to drive this headset very well. Together with the Benchmark it constitutes a mortal correspondence.

I have not yet found a song of any musical genre that is not played at the highest levels, you can turn up the volume almost to the maximum and it does not produce distortion.

Certainly, the right correspondence with the Dac source matters much more,otherwise you risk having either a clinical sound or too distorted.Then, however, each of us buys and

tries what in his way of seeing and spending, can reach the highest level of quality.It will be only the perfect combination of all the components to obtain the best result, and this

does not always correspond to a greater use of money.

Jul 3, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #11,291 of 22,406

I agree the AIC-10 is expensive. With that said I am starting to look into an upgrade for my hegel h360 for my speakers and to get into the top, top tier like you say it seems to be much more than the riviera. The new boulder integrated and dagostino progression integrated are up there in price. The dagostino starts at over $18k and to get to the momentum series you are talking like $40k or more. They are both incredible but that is alot of money.

Jul 3, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #11,292 of 22,406
Leaving polemic aside, I think the point you are making is that for you investing this amount of money in a headphones amp is too much. Legitimate, understandable and probably widely shared.

Having said that I find debates such as “is it worth the money?” not very interesting, it is just too subjective. Listening impressions are always subjective, but they can be useful (and fun) to debate. When it comes to investment decisions the discussion quickly hits the wall…

Coming back to you point, and to move the discussion forward, I think that products such as the AIC-10 are “shocking” today because we have seen very few headphones’ amps at this price point (I can only recall Viva at the moment – another Italian amp!).
When the HD800 was launched in 2009 the price was a shocker. I also suspect that the range of top dedicated amps to make them shine was rather limited. Ten years later we (crazy HeadFiers) have come accept that companies can propose cans for 5 - 6k euros. Similarly, DAC specifically designed for headphones (e.g. Chord) also go for above 10k euros to no one surprise. Few amp companies are going in that direction at the moment and they are obviously raising some question marks.

Again, I am not interested in convincing anyone about the “worth” of Riviera, my point is rather than the headphones world, including amps, is catching up with a more consolidated trend in speakers hi fi. The offer is wider at all price levels and the very top we now have incredibly well designed, performing and expensive products.

Is that good or bad? I leave it up for discussion 😉

Good post. :thumbsup:

Jul 3, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #11,293 of 22,406
The dagostino starts at over $18k and to get to the momentum series you are talking like $40k or more. They are both incredible but that is alot of money.

If I were looking for cost-no-object solid state amps, D'Agostino would be in the select few. I do think the photos make them look much smaller than in person.

D'AgostinoRelentlessMono by drjlo2, on Flickr

However, IMO great headphones and speakers SHOULD sound great even out of relatively modest gear, if chosen carefully for synergy with necessary little tweaks.
For example, I am listening to my Abyss TC right now out of of my little 5 watt EL84 amp with good caps and tubes rolled in, and the music is alive, wanting for nothing. I must confess the addition of 18650 Li batteries to power my SOtM USB card and spdif converter is what really tipped over this modest system to bliss, but there does seem to be some truth that tubes can render satisfaction at lower cost than solid state...

0703201010b by drjlo2, on Flickr

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #11,294 of 22,406
Jul 3, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #11,295 of 22,406
I wouldnt want to be the moving man tasked with relocating that amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back