The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 29, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #11,251 of 22,431
I can second the awesomeness of the Woojer vest (I was one of the early Kickstarter backers), though I use it mostly for playing games in VR. I may just grab the belt for something simpler for music...

I also have the vest and used it recently while listening to Ravel with the Abyss. The orchestral crescendos are fantastic with it :)

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #11,252 of 22,431
I can second the awesomeness of the Woojer vest (I was one of the early Kickstarter backers), though I use it mostly for playing games in VR. I may just grab the belt for something simpler for music...
Do you feel the Woojer vest would be overkill for music, lol. Serious question.

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #11,254 of 22,431
You actually did not ask me but zworykin, but well ... here m2c. Yes, it is. It is fun for experimentation, but not for daily listening. The belt is.
What is the reasoning? Is it because it is too overwhelming or more so too much of a hassle to strap it on for music?

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #11,255 of 22,431
Do you feel the Woojer vest would be overkill for music, lol. Serious question.
from the research i just did.... the vest would be best for music....

problem is how to get the signal in... if for example you are doing portable with a good DAP... in its current config you need to drive your headphones with its on board HP amp and dac. mojo or H2 should work because as you can run 2 HPs simultaneous.... thats prob the way to go... couldn't use with the fiio m15 or an AK dap.

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #11,256 of 22,431
What is the reasoning? Is it because it is too overwhelming or more so too much of a hassle to strap it on for music?

The vest is basically designed to be used while standing, it is meant for VR. It is not overly comfortable when seated. There are two workarounds: You can of course keep the straps lose, or what I do, which is putting the vest in a chair without wearing. Both works well, but when I am just listening, for me the strap is the best compromise. But I never listen to the abyss without it.

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #11,257 of 22,431
from the research i just did.... the vest would be best for music....

problem is how to get the signal in... if for example you are doing portable with a good DAP... in its current config you need to drive your headphones with its on board HP amp and dac. mojo or H2 should work because as you can run 2 HPs simultaneous.... thats prob the way to go... couldn't use with the fiio m15 or an AK dap.

That is correct. The onboard DAC is an insult for audiophiles, so the only way to transport the signal in is via 3.5mm. I use the ifi ican Pro which has three signal outlets parallel.

Another way: Using Roon etc to provide a signal to your DAC/AMP, and simultaneously output to the bluetooth of the woojer. Windows does not have two signal channels by default but it can be done.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #11,258 of 22,431
I thought I was missing the LFE only a subwoofer could provide when listening to my TCs... So I tried running my home theater sub (Paradaigm Sub 1) from one of the line outs of my Moon 600i while connected to my TCs... It was cool for a few minutes... More of a novelty.. quickly returned the sub to where it came from.

Jun 29, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #11,260 of 22,431
I thought I was missing the LFE only a subwoofer could provide when listening to my TCs... So I tried running my home theater sub (Paradaigm Sub 1) from one of the line outs of my Moon 600i while connected to my TCs... It was cool for a few minutes... More of a novelty.. quickly returned the sub to where it came from.
Yeah, but did you try sitting on it? :laughing:

Jun 30, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #11,262 of 22,431
Fascinating. I think the idea is to get some of the physical impressions of a speaker rig in a headphone system? I fancy trying it.

Jun 30, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #11,263 of 22,431
Fascinating. I think the idea is to get some of the physical impressions of a speaker rig in a headphone system? I fancy trying it.

not necessarily normal speakers, but a physical translation of music. imagine standing in front of those huge concert rigs or club systems and the feedback they create.

on another note, I started writing a review of woojer for headphone enthusiasts but never finished it. Seeing the feedback on this issue here, may be I should get back to it 👩‍💻

Jul 1, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #11,264 of 22,431
Hi I am using a wyred4sound Dac-2se and wells studio enigma from a few year back. On paper this combo seems ok to drive the abyss 1266 TC, anyone has experience with using this dac or amp for the 1266? How well can this combo perform with the 1266? Just ok, good or more than good?

With a computer to usb connection, I listen more to EDM, hip pop, pop, jazz using my th900mk2 blue / lcd4z / he1000v1.

I am also open to the idea of upgrading if needed. I am looking for the best bass possible with good mid and high. I love the bass on my th900mk2 blue, I am looking for a setup to meet or exceed the performance of my th900mk2 blue in the bass department. I read woo audio wa33 is one of the top choices, do you think the wyred4sound dac-2se will play nice with the wa33 or you suggest I replace my dac too (dac suggestion please)?

So in short, just get the 1266 and enjoy it with my current setup or dac/amp upgrade is needed in order for the 1266 to sing?

I would love to hear your thoughts. Any advice is welcome, much appreciated and ty in advance!

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #11,265 of 22,431
I am looking for a setup to meet or exceed the performance of my th900mk2 blue in the bass department.

I too came from a TH900 background. I was very concerned about not achieving the same LFE with another headphone...

Rest assured my friend... with proper fitting... the 1266 meets or exceeds the LFE of the TH900s. But they also have many, many other sonic qualities that will have you shelving your TH900s for quite some time.

Just to make sure I wasn't missing anything... I spent quite a bit of time at the Fostex booth at CanJam NYC this year. Nope! Not missing anything!

The WA33 is an incredible amp. But there are others in that price range that sound just as good or better... MOON 600I, Riviera AIC-10, etc.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back