The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 23, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #11,221 of 22,434
Pulled the trigger on the Room's stand. It's stupid expensive but one-of-a-kind. After reading about the headband issues I've been nervous about leaving them on the stand all the time, now that's no longer a concern. This thing is very well built and a perfect design for the 1266.

IMG_0901.JPG

Jun 24, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #11,222 of 22,434
Anyone here feel that the DAVE by itself powers the 1266 decently or no chance at all?

Jun 24, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #11,223 of 22,434
Anyone here feel that the DAVE by itself powers the 1266 decently or no chance at all?

Hi Frank, looking at your signature you seem very well equipped to drive the TC...
Anyway, I asked the same question to many people some months ago and most told me "yes it can, but it depends on your taste/musical choices". I agree with that. In my case I bought a TC only when I was sure I could add an amp later on if needed (which I did, as I wrote recently in this thread).

Dave alone + TC with stock cable may also be a bit on the bright side for some. Dave + M Scaler + TC + SC cable would certainly offer a more relaxed but still very detailed/transparent listening experience. Crossfeed may also help you to compensate if you like it (I don't).
In short my personal take is: Dave is good for pop, most of rock with bass in evidence. Unless you want super bass you will be fine with those genres. For jazz, small acoustic bands, Dave may be a little thin depending on the recording but still good. For symphonic classical music, Dave is not enough: both volume and physical feeling of the orchestra's sections are lacking.
If you add a very transparent amp you may end up very close to the sound signature of the Dave alone, with a nice reserve of volume.

Jun 24, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #11,224 of 22,434
Pulled the trigger on the Room's stand. It's stupid expensive but one-of-a-kind. After reading about the headband issues I've been nervous about leaving them on the stand all the time, now that's no longer a concern. This thing is very well built and a perfect design for the 1266.

IMG_0901.JPG
I'm just going lay it on my ottoman like all the rest of my cans. Cheap and effective.

Jun 24, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #11,226 of 22,434
Hi Frank, looking at your signature you seem very well equipped to drive the TC...
Anyway, I asked the same question to many people some months ago and most told me "yes it can, but it depends on your taste/musical choices". I agree with that. In my case I bought a TC only when I was sure I could add an amp later on if needed (which I did, as I wrote recently in this thread).

Dave alone + TC with stock cable may also be a bit on the bright side for some. Dave + M Scaler + TC + SC cable would certainly offer a more relaxed but still very detailed/transparent listening experience. Crossfeed may also help you to compensate if you like it (I don't).
In short my personal take is: Dave is good for pop, most of rock with bass in evidence. Unless you want super bass you will be fine with those genres. For jazz, small acoustic bands, Dave may be a little thin depending on the recording but still good. For symphonic classical music, Dave is not enough: both volume and physical feeling of the orchestra's sections are lacking.
If you add a very transparent amp you may end up very close to the sound signature of the Dave alone, with a nice reserve of volume.
Thanks!

Jun 24, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #11,228 of 22,434
I posted it 4 months ago or so and never updated and intended to keep. Buyer messaged me out of the blue and I mentioned I would not consider selling unless he/she was in the same state as I, basically brushing it off.

They happened to miraculously live in NY as well and when stuck with the choice to sell or not, I listened to the WA33 multiple times, pacing back and forth inside my own room like a mad man for about 1 hour. I decided to let it go as my business is falling apart and need to shift into "lean" mentality.

Truly an amazing piece of audio gear I had the blessings to own. I have just listed my JPS Power Cord/JPS XLR interconnect cables for sale that were companions of the WA33, both of which were bought brand new from authorized dealer with receipts provided.

The positive part of the experience was that the buyer seemed to be a genuine guy and was really nice, so glad it found a new home.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #11,229 of 22,434
I cried a tear almost and was holding it in even at point of sale, that amp is the most amazing amp I personally came across.

I posted it 4 months ago or so and never updated and intended to keep. Buyer messaged me out of the blue and I mentioned I would not consider selling unless he/she was in the same state as I, basically brushing it off.

They happened to miraculously live in NY as well and when stuck with the choice to sell or not, I listened to the WA33 multiple times, pacing back and forth inside my own room like a mad man for about 1 hour. I decided to let it go as my business is falling apart and need to shift into "lean" mentality.

Truly an amazing piece of audio gear I had the blessings to own. I have listed my JPS Power Cord/JPS XLR interconnect cables for sale that were companions of the WA33.

The positive part of the experience was that the buyer seemed to be a genuine guy and was really nice, so glad it found a new home.

Ah man sorry to hear that, hope your business bounces back.

Jun 24, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #11,230 of 22,434
Ah man sorry to hear that, hope your business bounces back.
=) Thanks, but do not feel bad for me! I was lucky to even have owned it for a period of time. 1st world problems all day, haha. Appreciate you though!

Though for sure the Abyss sounds better out of the WA33, it sounds "decent" straight out of the DAVE, so I'll live with that for a while.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #11,232 of 22,434
I believe from what I’ve heard it’s custom made cable. If you buy one get just adapter to connect to stock cable so it’s cheaper.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #11,234 of 22,434
I was going with Norne Audio and was told between 60 and 100 bucks depending on parts and length.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back