The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 20, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #11,209 of 22,434
Why dont you try as an experiment going digital straight from the CD player to there HA430, and also the streamer just to see how it sounds compared to through the preamp, and to see if it plays louder?

Go USB into the HA430 and RCA (spdif) digital into the HA430. It looks like you can do both at the same time and switch inputs on the front panel of the 430.

Jun 20, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #11,210 of 22,434
I have been happy with my XI audio Formula S / Powerman combo with my AB1266TCs. But today I finally sat down and really listened to the Riviera AIC10. It had a beautiful, rich sound compared to the XI audio stack, which while good was a bit clinical in comparison. The Riviera was definitely more musical. I particularly noticed it when I listened to familiar Joni Mitchell vocals - I don’t think I ever heard her sound so good.

I am therefore thinking of pulling the trigger on the Riviera. I am interested in what others think of it with the AB1266 TCs.

i am also intrigued by the Riviera’s potential to drive my Avantgarde Duo speakers. That might just push me over the edge. Has anyone had experience with them driving speakers?

Jun 20, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #11,211 of 22,434
Why dont you try as an experiment going digital straight from the CD player to there HA430, and also the streamer just to see how it sounds compared to through the preamp, and to see if it plays louder?

Go USB into the HA430 and RCA (spdif) digital into the HA430. It looks like you can do both at the same time and switch inputs on the front panel of the 430.

I have tried and didn’t notice much difference if any with going directly into the 430. I haven’t tried USB though

Jun 20, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #11,212 of 22,434
I have been happy with my XI audio Formula S / Powerman combo with my AB1266TCs. But today I finally sat down and really listened to the Riviera AIC10. It had a beautiful, rich sound compared to the XI audio stack, which while good was a bit clinical in comparison. The Riviera was definitely more musical. I particularly noticed it when I listened to familiar Joni Mitchell vocals - I don’t think I ever heard her sound so good.

I am therefore thinking of pulling the trigger on the Riviera. I am interested in what others think of it with the AB1266 TCs.

i am also intrigued by the Riviera’s potential to drive my Avantgarde Duo speakers. That might just push me over the edge. Has anyone had experience with them driving speakers?

I didn't realize the Riviera AIC10 costs 15,490 Euros.
As a Raal SR1a and AB1266TC user, the Riviera AIC10 and Raal HSA1a amp seem to have some similarities to me. Both are 10 watts/8 Ohms Class-A solid state amplifiers, with AIC10 having one 12AU7 tube hybrid stage. Both are meant to drive headphones but still offer speaker outputs. And they both have similar shape/form factor.
It would be interesting to try the Susvara/Abyss and some nice speakers on AIC10 and HSA1a :)

RaalHSA1a.jpg
RivieraAIC10.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #11,213 of 22,434
Riviera AIC10
I have been using the formula s/powerman combo with my abyss TC and I must say the riviera must be some incredible amp to better it by much because the formula s with the TC is simply wonderful but I notice it is multiples more expensive so perhaps it is...the formula s/powerman combo costs around 5500 dollars while the riviera costs about 18,000 so.....

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #11,214 of 22,434

I'm curious to hear more opinions on this too. Someone recommended I try out the Riviera AIC10. I probably won't due to the high cost and that I am pretty happy where I am at. If it's amazing as a combo I'd be interested to see some more in depth reviews/considerations on the combo.

Jun 20, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #11,215 of 22,434

I’ve had my Riviera AFC-10 for a few weeks now and absolutely love it! It’s the power amp version of the AIC-10 which I’ve paired with the DAVE. The DAVE has one of the best preamps and volume controls of any equipment I’ve owned so I wanted to utilize that. It’s only about $300-$500 cheaper than the AIC so at that point it’s not really about the cost savings considering the total expense. My dealer did mention that there are a few other DAVE owners running the same setup and the AFC provides a bit lower noise floor and a bit more of the great DAVE transparency (vs AIC) since the signal is going through one less preamp and volume control, a shorter and cleaner signal path.

The resale value will probably be lower for the AFC (vs AIC) but for me the trade off on having better sound was worth it, especially if you are a DAVE owner.

Also, I’ve read that the TC and Susvara sound much better out of the speaker taps of the Riviera, so that is something else to consider.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #11,217 of 22,434

Hi Mike, I think the AIC-10 pairing with the TC is - to use the usual worn out audiophile cliché - a match made in heaven.

I listened to it during my multiple month quest of my endgame amp for the AB-1266 and fell immediately in love with it, but - not being able to afford it at retail price - I kept on researching, trying several other amplifiers in the range of 10-20kUSD. No other amp I tried had the synergy with the TC (to my taste of course) I found with the AIC-10, especially paired with a Mullard NOS tube (or a Marconi, or a Fivre). I have already waxed poetics about this in other older posts, so I won't repeat myself here ...

I grabbed a 2nd hand unit luckily popped out when I was still on the market, and have been using the AIC-10 since several months now, mainly driving the TC with the XLR out and the SR1a through the speaker taps, but very recently I tried using an XLR to banana adapter to drive the TC via the taps and I am impressed about the additional soundstage size (3D), bass extension, speed and control. I would recommend to try that option and check how you like it.

20200621_104427-01.jpeg

Lastly, I am occasionally using the AIC-10 to drive my LS3/5a which are a much harder load than your fantastic Avantgarde, and the AIC-10 can push my Spendor to a satisfying level at least in my smallish room.
Be aware that the 10W rating is VERY conservative, so you should be able to enjoy your Duo at best with the AIC-10 both in terms of power and sound signature. So much so that Riviera Labs is often showcasing the AIC-10 in combination with horn loudspeakers at shows, and typically gets stellar feedback.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #11,218 of 22,434
the SR1a through the speaker taps, but very recently I tried using an XLR to banana adapter to drive the TC via the taps and I am impressed about the additional
The 10 watt rating may be conservative, but Riviera AIC-10 is able to drive Raal SR1a via impedance box to satisfyingly loud levels??

Jun 22, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #11,219 of 22,434
The 10 watt rating may be conservative, but Riviera AIC-10 is able to drive Raal SR1a via impedance box to satisfyingly loud levels??

The AIC-10 is able to drive the SR1a only within a limited range of situations, due to a severe lack of power.
And this is a pity, because as long as tonality is concerned, the AIC-10 (again with a warm-ish tube like a Mullard NOS) is a beautiful companion for the SR1a.

The good thing is that the Riviera can handle the SR1a for the genres where - to my ears - the SR1a are more talented. Baroque, chamber, solo stringed instruments, small jazz ensembles, acoustic music in general, vocals etc. - if the recording level is not too quiet and at my listening volumes (typically <80dB SPL) - are rendered very well, for example.

For large scale classical, grand piano, rock, electronic music (not to mention hip-hop), the AB-1266 cannot be touched by the SR1a for my tastes. I have spent a few months auditioning amplifiers for the SR1a, most of them were in the 120-250W rated power and some of them from the upper echelon (Audio Research, Nagra, DarTZeel) and, while performing much better than with my AIC-10, I was simply still enjoying the Abyss more for all those genres.

This is why I stopped researching the ultimate amp for the SR1a (at least for now :wink:), and decided to keep them as secondary / specialized headphones to complement my daily driver, the TC.

Jun 22, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #11,220 of 22,434
I am another very happy owner of the Riviera AIC-10 which I use with my TC and Utopia. I bought it second hand a month ago and I plan to write a more elaborate review in the near future (shouldn't we open a dedicated thread for this amp?).

It is a fantastic amp capable of driving difficult headphones like the Abyss as well as sensitive ones like the Focal. I love the fact that by changing a single ECC82 valve I can change significantly its sound signature (hence it is difficult to say how it sounds – it depends). I am having a great time with few NOS right now. If you plan to buy a Riviera, do budget some extra money to equip it with great NOS!

With reference to the TC and alternative more affordable amps, I can offer my limited experience. I previously heard a pair of CC driven by an Audio DG (master 9, I believe) and I extensively compared the Riviera with my Dave. The first has power, the latter transparency and refinement. The Riviera has both! And depending on the ECC82 you can emphasize speed/transparency/details vs body/3D effect/warmth.

I listen to jazz and classical music and I never heard before such a satisfactory reproduction of acoustic instruments with regards to tone, sound texture, physical impact, size and scene.

Other types of music (e.g. pop) may not require the finesse of the Riviera to squeeze the max out of the Abyss. For my taste and music choices this is pure bliss!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back