The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jul 3, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #11,297 of 22,430
Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 6.01.42 PM.png

Jul 3, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #11,298 of 22,430
lol, they sound amazing as F though, my wife laughed at me and I laughed back at her because she's the one really missing out. =)

Jul 3, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #11,300 of 22,430
yep... i bet.... but Abyss needs to step up and hire some real industrial designers.... these things are atrocious looking.
I doubt they will as from speaking with Abyss staff they feel it looks good, which of course is their right to their opinion.

Also you can tell they are proud of their creation when speaking to them and rightfully so! These headphones are amazing so for me personally despite not really liking how they look, I just listen to them with a smile in my room anyways.

They also mentioned in their youtube videos they designed it this way for adjustment purposes and sound purposes. I will say though the very VERY first time I went to Can Jam and saw them, I walked right past them because that was how much I disliked how they looked. Months later I realized that was one of the best headphones ever made and my jaw almost dropped.

Tried it for myself, and I ended up upgrading my WHOLE chain because of them.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #11,301 of 22,430
If I were looking for cost-no-object solid state amps, D'Agostino would be in the select few. I do think the photos make them look much smaller than in person.

D'AgostinoRelentlessMono by drjlo2, on Flickr

However, IMO great headphones and speakers SHOULD sound great even out of relatively modest gear, if chosen carefully for synergy with necessary little tweaks.
For example, I am listening to my Abyss TC right now out of of my little 5 watt EL84 amp with good caps and tubes rolled in, and the music is alive, wanting for nothing. I must confess the addition of 18650 Li batteries to power my SOtM USB card and spdif converter is what really tipped over this modest system to bliss, but there does seem to be some truth that tubes can render satisfaction at lower cost than solid state...

0703201010b by drjlo2, on Flickr

The relentless is huge. I saw them last year at axpona with a pair of wilson wamms. D'Agostino makes great amps.

Jul 3, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #11,302 of 22,430
If you are looking for great test track for EDM look no further then Rezz track named Edge. She isn't your boring EDM. Style is midtempo.

Jul 3, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #11,303 of 22,430
I doubt they will as from speaking with Abyss staff they feel it looks good, which of course is their right to their opinion.

Also you can tell they are proud of their creation when speaking to them and rightfully so! These headphones are amazing so for me personally despite not really liking how they look, I just listen to them with a smile in my room anyways.

They also mentioned in their youtube videos they designed it this way for adjustment purposes and sound purposes. I will say though the very VERY first time I went to Can Jam and saw them, I walked right past them because that was how much I disliked how they looked. Months later I realized that was one of the best headphones ever made and my jaw almost dropped.

Tried it for myself, and I ended up upgrading my WHOLE chain because of them.
they designed it this way BECAUSE they do not have a great ID team... period. its entirely possible to have this transducer set in a much better looking package.

Jul 3, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #11,304 of 22,430
I doubt they will change the design any time soon bud.

I do not think hiring a ID team is any where near the top of their priority and if they already mentioned design was made for sonic purposes, they will likely stick to that. They are also a family ran business that seems to prefer to keep headcount low. When I mention family, yes I would think they consider their video editor guy family as well despite not by blood. They all have good chemistry together and it shows in the videos.

Are you from Oakland California? I grew up in the Bay Area and now reside in NY.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #11,305 of 22,430
they designed it this way BECAUSE they do not have a great ID team... period. its entirely possible to have this transducer set in a much better looking package.

I don't think you fully appreciate the design work that went into them to maximize their sound quality. There is so much more to a great pair of headphones than just top notch transducers. I suggest you head over to their YouTube page as there are a few videos that will shed some light on why they are designed the way they are. The build quality is simply top notch and when I'm at my rig, I could care less how I look. Maybe a fancy looking pair of Beats Studio....they look pretty sleek? :p

Jul 3, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #11,306 of 22,430
The build quality is simply top notch and when I'm at my rig, I could care less how I look.
I don't know about top notch. Sure, they are aluminum and built like a tank, and uniquely adjustable on the X and Z planes. But they're super heavy, and there is no way to adjust the headstrap up or down, which in my mind is a huge oversight. It's literally one size fits all. Hence, the numerous tweaks and workarounds owners have gone through to compensate. Do you see Utopia owners rigging their frames with zip ties and the like? And that O ring discussion... but I won't start that again (but a legitimate argument, IMO).

They sound phenomenal. But beyond sonics, I think they can still do with a few frame design considerations.

Jul 3, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #11,307 of 22,430
I don't know about top notch. Sure, they are aluminum and built like a tank, and uniquely adjustable on the X and Z planes. But they're super heavy, and there is no way to adjust the headstrap up or down, which in my mind is a huge oversight. It's literally one size fits all. Hence, the numerous tweaks and workarounds owners have gone through to compensate. Do you see Utopia owners rigging their frames with zip ties and the like? And that O ring discussion... but I won't start that again (but a legitimate argument, IMO).

They sound phenomenal. But beyond sonics, I think they can still do with a few frame design considerations.

Utopias look nice but sound lbrighter than the sun. The TC sounds better than anything I’ve ever heard. I find nothing wrong with the appearance, or the comfort.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #11,310 of 22,430
If they change it how will they run them over?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back