The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #9,856 of 22,434
Don’t take this the wrong way, I’m just brainstorming, but is there a chance you may have some hearing damage in one ear, and that’s what is causing the issue?
I could have damage too my hearing, but I'm not experiencing with my other headphones. I think I've gotten the bass as equal as possible.

Jan 6, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #9,857 of 22,434
Don’t take this the wrong way, I’m just brainstorming, but is there a chance you may have some hearing damage in one ear, and that’s what is causing the issue?

Nah. I can see this as an adjustment issue. I had the same in the left side. I think (and I could be wrong) that if you have to play with the adjustment so that the space between the ear pads and your face is even on both sides.

Jan 6, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #9,858 of 22,434
The natural curve is a great idea as opposed to the balancing act on the head. So does it stay curved as in the picture without your hand on it?
20200106_214706.jpg

Jan 6, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #9,859 of 22,434
Nah. I can see this as an adjustment issue. I had the same in the left side. I think (and I could be wrong) that if you have to play with the adjustment so that the space between the ear pads and your face is even on both sides.
I was thinking about that, when you rotate the headphones outward or inward, it automatically adjusts both at the same time (at least with my fit). I do have a big head, so maybe that’s why it fits like that with me then.

Jan 6, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #9,861 of 22,434
Interesting. How the eff did you think of that?

So you bought two headbands? How did you try it on and do the adjustments, and at the same time do the adjustments with the wire ties?

That was not the first version of the mod lol, I tried a few things some of which I see recently mentioned. Spinning the headband around to grt more tension, adding a foam peice below to get more height, wrapping another larger headband around the existing one lol, and whiles talking with others in this thread I got the idea to do what I did albeit with just the 1 headband. But the issue with that was when I held the headphone, the headband would just drop in as it had nothing to keep it up, that's when u got the idea for the 2nd headband and to link it in that way.

The adjustments are very easy to make. Those are your standard wire straps. So I put them all together as shown, but very loose, then put the headphone on my head, and just slowly pulled each strap 1 notch at a time, and dialed in what felt comfortable, and sounded the best. I had a small flat head screw driver on hand to release the strap if I pulled it too tight. Once I got what worked for me, I nipped the ends of the straps. Done.

Ive seem someone do the same mod but used velcro instead so he could easily chnage the fit if he so chooses. But nobody wears my abyss but me, so I'm fine with a static fit. But if u want it dymanic, some thin strip of velcro will work just fine as well.

If you're really interested I guess i can make a video over the weakend with each step.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #9,862 of 22,434
I could have damage too my hearing, but I'm not experiencing with my other headphones. I think I've gotten the bass as equal as possible.
Yeah, I brought it up because when I had Utopias my left side was always more quiet than the right side. It drove me crazy. I had other people listen and they said both sides sounded the same in volume. Somebody suggested that it could be hearing loss. I do get tinnitus pretty bad, so it’s a possibility. I haven’t gotten my ears tested, but luckily I am not experiencing the same imbalance with my TCs and Susvaras.

So, any way, I can relate to these imbalance issues. Glad to hear that they are going away for you

Jan 6, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #9,863 of 22,434
That was not the first version of the mod lol, I tried a few things some of which I see recently mentioned. Spinning the headband around to grt more tension, adding a foam peice below to get more height, wrapping another larger headband around the existing one lol, and whiles talking with others in this thread I got the idea to do what I did albeit with just the 1 headband. But the issue with that was when I held the headphone, the headband would just drop in as it had nothing to keep it up, that's when u got the idea for the 2nd headband and to link it in that way.

The adjustments are very easy to make. Those are your standard wire straps. So I put them all together as shown, but very loose, then put the headphone on my head, and just slowly pulled each strap 1 notch at a time, and dialed in what felt comfortable, and sounded the best. I had a small flat head screw driver on hand to release the strap if I pulled it too tight. Once I got what worked for me, I nipped the ends of the straps. Done.

Ive seem someone do the same mod but used velcro instead so he could easily chnage the fit if he so chooses. But nobody wears my abyss but me, so I'm fine with a static fit. But if u want it dymanic, some thin strip of velcro will work just fine as well.

If you're really interested I guess i can make a video over the weakend with each step.

I guess even with the velcro, you still need the wire ties to attach the headband to the frame. I think the other wire ties are probably easier to adjust than velcro, except for the loosening. I dont see how you can loosen wore ties. It's a one way adjustment.

Jan 6, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #9,864 of 22,434
The straps are Def easier to adjsut than velcro, and u can easily loosen wire straps with a tiny flat head screwdriver :), just pop the tip of the screw driver under the notch and the strap pulls freely right back.

Jan 6, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #9,865 of 22,434
I gotta give props to @matthewhypolite , I tried his adjustments and they did make a nice difference on my Phi CC. Before, I had the pads at 3 and 9 as well, but had the frame extended out all the way with no toe in. While the soundstage was immense, the bass was bloated and distorted at times, and everything else sounded a bit thin and diffuse. Seems the key is to bring the frame in slightly and and toe in as he pictured. You get impactful bass, but also full sound up the spectrum -- nice! I think the only minor downside is a slight shrinking of the soundstage due to bringing the frame in. I guess even with the Abyss, there are compromises. But so far just a few songs in, I like what I'm hearing. It's about as full as I've heard.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #9,866 of 22,434
I also don't like it if the abyss sits too low; the earpads press on the top of my ears. Solved it by rotating the stock headband twice so the rubber bands become more taut, and then placing into my head. Works a treat!

Also had an issue of earpads too low. I guess I have a smaller head (half Filipino :wink:. Looping the headstrap bands up and around the metal pieces as they're intended to resulted in the earpads too far down. My solution was to not loop the bands over, but instead just tuck them in the undersides of the metal pieces. This actually worked as-is for a while, but eventually the bands would work themselves out and the headphones would come crashing down on my head. I found a way to secure the bands with strong wire ties as shown. Pretty easy solution and works great for me. Earpads are even with my ears.

IMG_20200106_205905.jpg IMG_20200106_205931.jpg IMG_20200106_210323.jpg

Jan 7, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #9,867 of 22,434
I still have a lot to digest here, but wow. I feel like my head size is kinda perfect for these, didn't seem to take long to dial in fit/position at all (10 o'clock on pads, slightly forward tilt on headband). Will keep fugging around with fit and see how the sound changes.

IMG_20200108_011020.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #9,868 of 22,434
I am not having the issue as much. The headphones bass is so ridiculous that I get a great center but then I get a lot of bass notes coming out the right side. But it is better hopefully with break in they will loosen up on the left side produce more excursion. I'm comparing the bass between my 1266 and Final audio D8000 pro edition to see how well balanced the 1266 is. The d8000 pro edition has better bass then LCD 4 and not too far behind the 1266.
I’m using the d8000 pro with the an upgraded Milo and I don’t think it has much bass. The lcd4 is coming in Thursday and the TT2 dac/amp for review on Monday. I’ll see if things change by then.

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #9,869 of 22,434
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for .5m length RCA cables to connect the Chord Qutest to the Wells Headtrip II. Since this is my first "serious" setup, my knowledge of cables is seriously lacking. I realize that good cables aren't cheap and that maybe the Abyss 1266 TCs will be able to pick up on the differences between them, however I also don't want to be taken for a ride. I made a short list of manufacturers that have received favorable reviews for you to yay or nay, but of course I'd be open to any and all other recommendations:

Chord Company
QED
Atlas
Audioquest
Nordost
Cardas
Oyaide
Zavfino

It would be ideal if I could get in around $250. If there's someone who really knows cables, I also need to find a digital cable that terminates on one end to USB C (for my MacBook) and on the other end to USB B (for the Qutest). In case the copper vs. silver debate steers us off topic, or if you don't want to stick your neck (and cables) on the line by speaking "your" truth, please PM me...many thanks!

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #9,870 of 22,434
Call Cool the cablecompany.com. They are super knowledgeable and have a lending library of tons of cables. Try a few out and see what sounds best for you. There is nothing better than trying for yourself then getting someone else’s opinion based on their own system and they’re likes and dislikes. It’s also good idea to buy used. You get more value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back