The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 13, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #9,196 of 22,459
For those with the CC or TC ceramic coating how are you finding the durability? Is the finish susceptible to scratches or chipping?

I have the TC.. But I baby it. Seems pretty rugged and durable tho.. I really don't wanna find out if it scratches.

Listening to Billie Ellish's album on the abyss is just so nice. Enjoying the layering and separation. Tight bass notes and electronic sounds. Sublime vocals.

I really didn't enjoy listening to her songs on the radio because she just sounded muffled and mumbling. But it's a completely different presentation on the abyss.

Nov 13, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #9,197 of 22,459
I used some of the 3M protection tape cut to size when I had my Utopias. It didn't look quite as nice as unprotected, but saved me from having to overbaby them. I'm more into protecting them from permanent damage than keeping them looking nice on a day to day basis. Others may have different priorities.

Nov 13, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #9,198 of 22,459
I used some of the 3M protection tape cut to size when I had my Utopias. It didn't look quite as nice as unprotected, but saved me from having to overbaby them. I'm more into protecting them from permanent damage than keeping them looking nice on a day to day basis. Others may have different priorities.

Yay, now i know i'm not alone in this world! hahaha

Nov 13, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #9,199 of 22,459
I looked online and bought 9mm sized transparent tape to wrap around the sides of my Diana Phi lol I blame my uncle as he was really into hifi and electronics, and he was overprotective of his equipment and this rubbed off on me as well now.

Nov 13, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #9,200 of 22,459
For those with the CC or TC ceramic coating how are you finding the durability? Is the finish susceptible to scratches or chipping?
Yes it is... If your married... Be careful with your wedding ring... Especially when adjusting the toe. The finish on the outside edges can be easily marred.

Nov 13, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #9,201 of 22,459

In short, I would say yes. I baby all my gear and despite this, I still found a few very, very small areas around the edges and outside grill where I noticed the a bit of the finish had worn off. I'd take care, especially along the sharp edges. I never put mine down on hard surfaces so I'm puzzled and a little bummed as to why.

Nov 13, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #9,202 of 22,459
I have the TC and the finish is very durable. Absolutely no issues in the 6 months I have had them.

Nov 13, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #9,203 of 22,459
The silverfi hr4 signature edition has arrived. I dont have my desktop rig currently so i cant give a review but coming from my lpgt and ba300s the stock cables sound tinny and unatural compared to the silverfi. Full review will come later :)
20191114_131213.jpg

Nov 15, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #9,206 of 22,459
New TCs in the house.

This is my home remedy for the Abyss's suboptimal headband ergonomics -- two velcro straps that pull the band upwards so they're not pressing so aggressively against my head. It creates more of a contact patch and eliminates the hot spot I was getting. I would actually call the Abyss comfortable now.

Just as important though is that it results in lowering the position of the pads around my ears so that it closes the gap between the lower, fat part of the pads and the side of my neck beneath the jaw, which had otherwise been too much.

velcro.jpg

Ignore the adapters in the picture, though. That was a quick test to try out my Utopia cable, but I believe the adapter affects the sound too much to be useful.

Nov 15, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #9,207 of 22,459
New TCs in the house.

This is my home remedy for the Abyss's suboptimal headband ergonomics -- two velcro straps that pull the band upwards so they're not pressing so aggressively against my head. It creates more of a contact patch and eliminates the hot spot I was getting. I would actually call the Abyss comfortable now.

Just as important though is that it results in lowering the position of the pads around my ears so that it closes the gap between the lower, fat part of the pads and the side of my neck beneath the jaw, which had otherwise been too much.

Ignore the adapters in the picture, though. That was a quick test to try out my Utopia cable, but I believe the adapter affects the sound too much to be useful.
Damn, I have the exact same problem with the headband and for ages I thought the only solution is to break the headband ring and tie a knot around the suspension bump. You are a genius.

Nov 15, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #9,208 of 22,459
Damn, I have the exact same problem with the headband and for ages I thought the only solution is to break the headband ring and tie a knot around the suspension bump. You are a genius.
I know what you mean. I owned the Phi previously and found the headband to be a constant annoyance, but somehow never rose quite to the level of me trying to do anything about it (aside from complaining about it, naturally). This time around, literally the first thing I did when I took it out of the box was reach for some velcro strips, almost without thinking.

Nov 15, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #9,209 of 22,459
New TCs in the house.

There is definitely something missing from this setup.

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #9,210 of 22,459
P1020680.JPG
Here is an old pic of mine. With the velcro tied lower down the frame.
This allowed the elastic bands to be under minimal tension, and a more curved arc to more closely match the curve of my head - good even weight distribution over a larger surface area. Could also be height adjusted if necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back