The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 22, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #9,226 of 22,387
Hello TC fans,
Been running a Sennheiser stack as my main desktop unit for the last few years HD800S, HD820, HDVD800 —> HDV820.
Had a serious mind wall about spending too much on headphones but then slowly creeped past the wall with the main chain and some other cans I have.
I’m now looking to consolidate for space reasons and also because I just end up using a single headphone at a specific location and don’t switch around very often so some of them just don’t get head time.
I’m wondering if anyone can comment on potentially replacing the Sennheiser HD8XX set with a single Abyss.
Has anyone gone through a similar consolidation where they have been able to reduce the amount of cans to a single unit and live with it?

Thanks in advance.

Hey headblid - I went through a very similar situation about 6 months ago. I took a look around my office and noticed that I had 13 pairs of headphones sitting on my stands just gathering dust, and I took the steps to start downsizing my collection. I, thankfully, have a local audio shop that's owned by a great local family. They stock Focal, Sennheiser, Audeze, Grado, etc... and also have quite a collection of their own personal headphones/speakers. They allow you to come in and spend as much time as you want with their gear, which is a blessing. One of their sons had a pair of the OG 1266, and I must have spent 2 hours listening to it and getting the fit right (thankfully he was able to help me). Comparing the OG 1266 to basically all the other top end cans (Utopia, LCD-4, HD800s) was hilarious for me, as they all just couldn't compare to the 1266. It was after that session that I knew I was heading towards getting a 1266.

I now switch between 2 headphones (soon to be 3) depending on what I am doing at my desk. My HD600's that I have owned for over a decade... I will be buried with them, The OG 1266 and a soon to come Jade II system. The Jade II was an impulse buy as it was way too cheap to not buy. I was also part of the loaner tour for the Jade II and really liked them for classical music. The OG 1266 is something that I have never regretted buying or using as my 'daily' driver. It does basically everything so damn well.

I struggled quite a bit on sources and amps, as at one point I had 8 amps and just as many dacs. I am now happy with the AudioGD R-28 acting as the source and a heavily modified bottlehead crack (HD600) and an Emotiva a-100 to power the 1266. I realize that seems like a very underwhelming chain, but to my ears those are the pieces that I have enjoyed the most with the 1266 and the HD600. I have even used the crack as tube preamp to feed signal to the a-100, and that just puts a massive smile on my face. I had a ALO Studio Six at one point, but even with tube rolling it just sounded to darn clinical to my ears, and the bottlehead crack was just too damn fun compared to the SS.

TL;DR - This is all an adventure, but if you are able to find a headphone like the 1266 that does everything to your ears well... then why wouldn't you be happy? To me... the 1266 is easily a one and only pair of cans. :D

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #9,227 of 22,387
Hello TC fans,
Been running a Sennheiser stack as my main desktop unit for the last few years HD800S, HD820, HDVD800 —> HDV820.
Had a serious mind wall about spending too much on headphones but then slowly creeped past the wall with the main chain and some other cans I have.
I’m now looking to consolidate for space reasons and also because I just end up using a single headphone at a specific location and don’t switch around very often so some of them just don’t get head time.
I’m wondering if anyone can comment on potentially replacing the Sennheiser HD8XX set with a single Abyss.
Has anyone gone through a similar consolidation where they have been able to reduce the amount of cans to a single unit and live with it?

Thanks in advance.
I had HD800s before my TC/Susvara/th900mk2 combo. I don't miss the HD800s at all really. But, your HD820s cannot be replaced with just a TC, given that it is a closed headphone, and the TCs are very open.

Personally, think it's wise to keep both an open and closed pair of headphones. I use my th900mk2s as my closed unit, but I'll probably replace it with ZMF Verite C cans. Of my open headphones, I love both the TCs and Susvara, but if I had to pick only one, it would be the TCs. The TCs are the best headphones money can buy, in my opinion. There are no flaws, other than the fit with the headband (it can get uncomfortable over several hours of listening).

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #9,228 of 22,387
I was looking for a new headphones, is WA5-LE good enough for Abyss Phi TC?

I am using the WA5LE with my Tc. It sounds awesome. Around 10-11 o’clock volume is VERY loud. Plenty of power and very nice timbre. I also have a Headamp GSXmk2 and it has plenty of power as well. Depending on my mood and type of music I enjoy both. But if you already have the Woo I think your good to go. You won’t be disappointed. Anything else is just a matter of preference not a real upgrade. IMO.

Nov 22, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #9,229 of 22,387
susvara and TC pretty much covers all needs...getting pretty hard to improve on these HP's I would think at this point...

Nov 22, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #9,230 of 22,387
Thank you both for providing these detailed answers - looks like I have some next steps to find a store in Toronto that carries the Abyss and get some head time.
Re: replacing the HD820 with the Abyss, I also have a Sony Z7 and recently got a Denon d9200 - likely going to keep them both for a while as they cover different rooms :).

Thanks again!

Hey headblid - I went through a very similar situation about 6 months ago. I took a look around my office and noticed that I had 13 pairs of headphones sitting on my stands just gathering dust, and I took the steps to start downsizing my collection. I, thankfully, have a local audio shop that's owned by a great local family. They stock Focal, Sennheiser, Audeze, Grado, etc... and also have quite a collection of their own personal headphones/speakers. They allow you to come in and spend as much time as you want with their gear, which is a blessing. One of their sons had a pair of the OG 1266, and I must have spent 2 hours listening to it and getting the fit right (thankfully he was able to help me). Comparing the OG 1266 to basically all the other top end cans (Utopia, LCD-4, HD800s) was hilarious for me, as they all just couldn't compare to the 1266. It was after that session that I knew I was heading towards getting a 1266.

I now switch between 2 headphones (soon to be 3) depending on what I am doing at my desk. My HD600's that I have owned for over a decade... I will be buried with them, The OG 1266 and a soon to come Jade II system. The Jade II was an impulse buy as it was way too cheap to not buy. I was also part of the loaner tour for the Jade II and really liked them for classical music. The OG 1266 is something that I have never regretted buying or using as my 'daily' driver. It does basically everything so damn well.

I struggled quite a bit on sources and amps, as at one point I had 8 amps and just as many dacs. I am now happy with the AudioGD R-28 acting as the source and a heavily modified bottlehead crack (HD600) and an Emotiva a-100 to power the 1266. I realize that seems like a very underwhelming chain, but to my ears those are the pieces that I have enjoyed the most with the 1266 and the HD600. I have even used the crack as tube preamp to feed signal to the a-100, and that just puts a massive smile on my face. I had a ALO Studio Six at one point, but even with tube rolling it just sounded to darn clinical to my ears, and the bottlehead crack was just too damn fun compared to the SS.

TL;DR - This is all an adventure, but if you are able to find a headphone like the 1266 that does everything to your ears well... then why wouldn't you be happy? To me... the 1266 is easily a one and only pair of cans. :D

I had HD800s before my TC/Susvara/th900mk2 combo. I don't miss the HD800s at all really. But, your HD820s cannot be replaced with just a TC, given that it is a closed headphone, and the TCs are very open.

Personally, think it's wise to keep both an open and closed pair of headphones. I use my th900mk2s as my closed unit, but I'll probably replace it with ZMF Verite C cans. Of my open headphones, I love both the TCs and Susvara, but if I had to pick only one, it would be the TCs. The TCs are the best headphones money can buy, in my opinion. There are no flaws, other than the fit with the headband (it can get uncomfortable over several hours of listening).

Nov 22, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #9,231 of 22,387
Thank you both for providing these detailed answers - looks like I have some next steps to find a store in Toronto that carries the Abyss and get some head time.
Re: replacing the HD820 with the Abyss, I also have a Sony Z7 and recently got a Denon d9200 - likely going to keep them both for a while as they cover different rooms :).

Thanks again!

I believe the only distributor in Toronto is headfoneshop.com (I hope linking the is fine). I don't know if they have a demo available.
I also know that last year there was a black Friday sale for the US. I asked if it'll happen again and include Canadians this year but there was no reply (asked in the Diana thread).

Nov 23, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #9,234 of 22,387
Hi guys, I'm looking for a Abyss and does the OG still worth it ? Or the other versions are much superior. There is some for $2K.

I find one of the best versions is the Phi CC. The TC is the top of course, but if i owned either the TC or Phi CC id be a happy camper.
I'd never go back to the OG.

Nov 23, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #9,235 of 22,387
I started on the OG as I'm sure many here have. It's still a phenomenal headphone and competitive with TOTL phones. The upgrades are noticeable, but all 1266s have a house sound. For $2k, I'd totally get an OG. You won't find a Phi (let alone TC) for less than $3k.

Nov 23, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #9,238 of 22,387
Super helpful.

There are always ways to get decent pricing on audio items. This is why you should find a good dealer and stick with them.

Nov 23, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #9,239 of 22,387
There are always ways to get decent pricing on audio items. This is why you should find a good dealer and stick with them.

Also not really helpful. The question was asked if the OG 1266 was worth it for $2k. Regarding dealers, they're a rare bunch. I love comments like the one you just made, but reality is for many working with a dealer isn't an option. Unless you're referring to online sales as a "dealer".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back