The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Apr 12, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #8,086 of 22,434
Random observation -- the earcup position makes a huge difference. Looking at the left driver from the inside, I had the cup attached with the seam pointed toward about 1 o'clock. Rotating both cups forward one notch (so the left cup seam is now closer to 2 o'clock) totally transformed the bass to be fuller and go much deeper. All of a sudden I had two small subs strapped to my head. My theory is in this position, there is a small air gap between the cup and my neck, which acts as a port. Anyway, totally unexpected find. YMMV

Figuring out personal preference for the settings is the key with the Abyss. Nothing better, for my personal preferences, once you get it right!

Apr 12, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #8,087 of 22,434
Figuring out personal preference for the settings is the key with the Abyss. Nothing better, for my personal preferences, once you get it right!

Yes, this is really exciting. It could have something to do with the new Phi upgrade as well, but I hadn't experienced this level of gut rattling bass before! Nooooooooow I get it :wink:

Apr 13, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #8,088 of 22,434
For me the ideal position's between 3 and 5 o'clock.

Seam at 3 to 5 o'clock. I presume that's on the left cup?

I played around with rotation, but the way the pad is designed (thicker portion on one side, thinner portion opposite), ergonomically the thicker portion seems like it should go towards the bottom of the ear against the upper neck, the thinner side would naturally fit around the upper front of the ear. This puts the seam at around 1 o'clock. At 3 o'clock and more, the thick of the pad is more perpendicular with the back of the ear, or even a little above. Granted this creates a big port area (gap), but it just wouldn't seem the intended position based on the shape of the cup. No? It definitely feels a little weirder than the 1 o'clock position, which feels more natural to me.

However, no denying dat bass.

Apr 13, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #8,089 of 22,434
Seam at 3 to 5 o'clock. I presume that's on the left cup?

I played around with rotation, but the way the pad is designed (thicker portion on one side, thinner portion opposite), ergonomically the thicker portion seems like it should go towards the bottom of the ear against the upper neck, the thinner side would naturally fit around the upper front of the ear. This puts the seam at around 1 o'clock. At 3 o'clock and more, the thick of the pad is more perpendicular with the back of the ear, or even a little above. Granted this creates a big port area (gap), but it just wouldn't seem the intended position based on the shape of the cup. No? It definitely feels a little weirder than the 1 o'clock position, which feels more natural to me.

However, no denying dat bass.
lol I derped. I meant 1 to 3 o'clock position.
Anyways, it took me a long time to figure out which position sounds best. JPS has a video on YouTube that shows you how to bend the metal frame of the headphone to make the phones comform to the shape of your head. I'm no watermelon head yet my Abyss sounds best with the frames stretched outwards a little bit. Come to think of it, its incredibly clever of JPS to treat a headphone as a ported sub and let users fiddle with the enclosure volume and porting area. Too wide a gap and you end up with lots of loose bass with no extension, too little a gap makes the bass thin and lifeless. Finding the right balance (I wouldn't even call it balance since finding the right fit makes the headphone sound soo much better its literally a free upgrade) can take some time, but in the end its more than worth it.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #8,090 of 22,434
Nature of the beast. Best thing is simply to enjoy what you have and stay away from head-fi.org until you want to upgrade...lol
I was moreso pointing it out for anyone who had put off buying an abyss because of the price. It's not the very latest model, but it's pretty damn close.
Well, a discount like this would make me pull the trigger if I was on the fence about it anyway...

Apr 13, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #8,091 of 22,434
I was moreso pointing it out for anyone who had put off buying an abyss because of the price. It's not the very latest model, but it's pretty damn close.
Well, a discount like this would make me pull the trigger if I was on the fence about it anyway...
Totally agree. I got a used phi cc for around the same price. Marvelous 'cans.

Apr 13, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #8,092 of 22,434
lol I derped. I meant 1 to 3 o'clock position.
Anyways, it took me a long time to figure out which position sounds best. JPS has a video on YouTube that shows you how to bend the metal frame of the headphone to make the phones comform to the shape of your head. I'm no watermelon head yet my Abyss sounds best with the frames stretched outwards a little bit. Come to think of it, its incredibly clever of JPS to treat a headphone as a ported sub and let users fiddle with the enclosure volume and porting area. Too wide a gap and you end up with lots of loose bass with no extension, too little a gap makes the bass thin and lifeless. Finding the right balance (I wouldn't even call it balance since finding the right fit makes the headphone sound soo much better its literally a free upgrade) can take some time, but in the end its more than worth it.

I noticed you n your signature you run an audio gd Power Amp with the Abyss, what’s the paring like?

Apr 13, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #8,094 of 22,434
I noticed you n your signature you run an audio gd Power Amp with the Abyss, what’s the paring like?
It's a great match. I used to have the NAD M22 V1 and the P3S comes very close for a fraction of the price. Imaging wise its a little more diffuse than the NAD but it has a wider soundstage and more extended treble. Bass is pretty much on par with the NAD with just a tad less punch.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #8,095 of 22,434
It's a great match. I used to have the NAD M22 V1 and the P3S comes very close for a fraction of the price. Imaging wise its a little more diffuse than the NAD but it has a wider soundstage and more extended treble. Bass is pretty much on par with the NAD with just a tad less punch.

Nice, Iam using an NFB27H with my Abyss 1266 pair.

Apr 14, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #8,096 of 22,434
Pretty good deal for anyone in Australia - AUD$4.5k (USD$3.2k) for a brand new CC ($2.5k off just because it's not a TC)
https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/coll.../abyss-ab-1266-phi-planar-magnetic-headphones

Don't think it is a brand new CC but a demo unit. And it is AU$2.5K off (USD$1.8K). So that's a pretty good deal for them : they no longer need a demo CC, they've used it and they sell it more than they've paid for it.

I've quite often found that prices in Australia were rather low but they deliver only in Australia.

Apr 14, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #8,097 of 22,434
Iam confused about your post
Don't think it is a brand new CC but a demo unit. And it is AU$2.5K off (USD$1.8K). So that's a pretty good deal for them : they no longer need a demo CC, they've used it and they sell it more than they've paid for it.

I've quite often found that prices in Australia were rather low but they deliver only in Australia.

The price is $4500 AUD.

Apr 15, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #8,099 of 22,434

Yeah I'd say it will be the demo unit. Still pretty good... Or I thought so anyway. Though I haven't been keeping an eye on used CC prices...
Anyway, just pointing it out for the lurkers. Carry on...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back