The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Apr 9, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #8,057 of 22,374
Apr 9, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #8,058 of 22,374
The original and Phi are older frame designs, the CC and TC differ in design and finish, not to mention the new leathers. The new TC has added details machined into the frame. At some point we'll have new photos that shows this in greater detail.

Last edited:
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Apr 9, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #8,061 of 22,374
The original and Phi are older frame designs, the CC and TC differ in design and finish, not to mention the new leathers. The new TC has added details machined into the frame. At some point we'll have new photos that shows this in greater detail.
Ah, bummer for me. I got so excited seeing mention of the upgrade option! :) . But I have an upgraded Phi with CC pads, and I believe it is the original frame (I'm not the first owner of this pair). Sounds like those have reached the end of the line...

Apr 9, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #8,062 of 22,374
Ah, bummer for me. I got so excited seeing mention of the upgrade option! :) . But I have an upgraded Phi with CC pads, and I believe it is the original frame (I'm not the first owner of this pair). Sounds like those have reached the end of the line...

There is no reason to be disappointed, it’s an amazing headphone.
Just because there is a new version out does not make your set inferior.
It’s like saying I bought a Ferrari and now there is a newer more expensive one.
Don’t forget you still have the Ferrari :)

Apr 9, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #8,063 of 22,374
There is no reason to be disappointed, it’s an amazing headphone.
Just because there is a new version out does not make your set inferior.
It’s like saying I bought a Ferrari and now there is a newer more expensive one.
Don’t forget you still have the Ferrari :)
Very true. I should not allow myself to fall into that trap! Without spending a fortune, I'm trying to figure out which item in my current chain to upgrade in order to maximize the SQ of my current Abyss Phi. I have some third-party knockoffs of the Super Aluminata cables which aren't bad but not nearly as good as the real ones (only recently did JPS determine they were fakes). I have the iFi iCan Pro, which is a capable amp but not on the level as others discussed here. I'm using the iFi iPro DSD as my source over usb. Ethernet bridging is not working for me no matter what I try. I'm unlikely to get a third party power supply or digital clock for the DSD Pro, and I don't want to shell out for another DAC, so I've mostly thought about upgrading either the amp, the cables, or the Phi itself. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the current setup. Audiophilia is a journey but its wise to stop and breathe. I have to remind myself sometimes!

Apr 9, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #8,064 of 22,374
Audiophilia is a journey but its wise to stop and breathe. I have to remind myself sometimes!

So very true. It's so easy to get caught up in upgraditis and not appreciate where you already are, at least for me. I have not heard the iFi iCan Pro but I've read others state that it's good but not great with the Abyss, and also has a somewhat lean presentation. My .02 is that if you're generally happy with the Abyss now, changing/upgrading the amp will make more of an appreciable difference than changing other things in the chain. Of course, this probably won't be cheap either....

Apr 9, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #8,065 of 22,374
So very true. It's so easy to get caught up in upgraditis and not appreciate where you already are, at least for me. I have not heard the iFi iCan Pro but I've read others state that it's good but not great with the Abyss, and also has a somewhat lean presentation. My .02 is that if you're generally happy with the Abyss now, changing/upgrading the amp will make more of an appreciable difference than changing other things in the chain. Of course, this probably won't be cheap either....
I agree, I've mostly researched amps as the next upgrade option. I like the Formula S but am also tempted by the battery-powered balanced Broadway because it opens up a bit of portability. And is significantly less $.

Apr 9, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #8,066 of 22,374
I was also eyeing the balanced Broadway, but I wasn't sure if it had enough power/synergy with the 1266? IIRC the images all showed it with the Diana. I never did directly inquire, however.

Apr 9, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #8,067 of 22,374
I was also eyeing the balanced Broadway, but I wasn't sure if it had enough power/synergy with the 1266? IIRC the images all showed it with the Diana. I never did directly inquire, however.

It works, obviously not the best but if you have to use a portable amp, it's probably your best choice outside of super exotic stuff.

Apr 9, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #8,068 of 22,374
I enjoyed the Abyss Phi with the Broadway quite a bit. I never found it lacking, but of course the Formula S stack takes it to another level. Its a great match for the Diana.
I also have the Monoprice Liquid Spark amp designed by Alex Cavalli. For $100 its a surprisingly good single-ended option. Jason from JPS recommended it while we chatted at CanJam. If you added a battery pack to it you'd have a wonderful portable system for the Diana Phi. It even does a good job with the Abyss Phi, certainly surpassing the Hugo 2 alone which is my other portable option. Just don't compare it to the Formula S or upper-end Woos...

Apr 9, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #8,069 of 22,374
Just to clarify, I bought my Phi new 11/2017. I added the CC pads in July 2018 when they released. So I have a Phi with CC pads added, but not a Phi CC (with different housing, etc.). Perhaps a date of issue or serial number starting might make it more clear.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #8,070 of 22,374
I would recommend the Woo WA5le. My current amp. It drives my Phi CC with authority. In high power setting 11 o'clock is ear splitting. And the bass slam is fantastic. Wonderful option if you like tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back