The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 20, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #7,126 of 22,431
As to using the new pads with the ‘original’ 1266, I am using them & they make a great difference.
All good, —— transparency, detail etc.
Basically, the difference is absolutely ‘amazing’!

Sep 20, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #7,129 of 22,431
Adding an amplifier will add to the 127.5 dB of the DAVE (which is incredibly impressive). I believe the WA33 is 95dB (quite a difference). So anything added afterwards will add noise/distortion and thus colouration. But again, if it sounds good to your ears, then enjoy!
I guess that's a call for the Benchmark AHB2 or the HPA4 then, yeah?

I've got the AHB2 on my hit list for the HE-6, but maybe it's just the ticket for coming off a DAVE when someone wants more juice?

Sep 20, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #7,130 of 22,431
I guess that's a call for the Benchmark AHB2 or the HPA4 then, yeah?

I've got the AHB2 on my hit list for the HE-6, but maybe it's just the ticket for coming off a DAVE when someone wants more juice?

I have the DAVE and had the AHB2. I didn't use with headphones, but with full range speakers (B&W 802d3s) and high efficiency single driver speakers (Omega Super Alnico and Voxativ 9.87's), there was a major step down in transparency and soundstage with AHB2 in the chain. That being said, it was still way better than other large amps I tried in the chain.

In the end, I opt for DAVE direct, even if it means limiting the transducers that I have available. Looking forward to auditioning the HugoTT2 to see what those 18W (vs 2W from DAVE) can do direct

Benchmark has an extremely generous home audition/return policy. I highly recommend hearing the amp in person (I loved it)

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #7,137 of 22,431
I'm interested in reading your opinion. Could you please post the link page? Thanks
I'd be curious to see contrary feedback as well. I've had my Phi CC's for just over two weeks. I've owned all of the heavy hitters and agree that the Phi is really something special. There is just something about it’s delivery that is very different from any other HP I've worn. That said, tonally it is not perfect. You get use to the signature and it's easy enough to love, but when I switch back and forth between other HP's (HEKse) you really notice that the mids leave something to be desired and the treble is not exactly subtle. Again, I'm not complaining. The Phi is fantastic, but I would be curious to know what different pads could do for the tone. Unlike many, I have no issue using DSP to refine a HP's signature, but I feel this incredible soundstage could cave in on itself if you made the wrong adjustments. Much of the air in the delivery can be attributed to the mids and treble.

Sep 21, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #7,138 of 22,431
I'd be curious to see contrary feedback as well. I've had my Phi CC's for just over two weeks. I've owned all of the heavy hitters and agree that the Phi is really something special. There is just something about it’s delivery that is very different from any other HP I've worn. That said, tonally it is not perfect. You get use to the signature and it's easy enough to love, but when I switch back and forth between other HP's (HEKse) you really notice that the mids leave something to be desired and the treble is not exactly subtle. Again, I'm not complaining. The Phi is fantastic, but I would be curious to know what different pads could do for the tone. Unlike many, I have no issue using DSP to refine a HP's signature, but I feel this incredible soundstage could cave in on itself if you made the wrong adjustments. Much of the air in the delivery can be attributed to the mids and treble.
Interesting. Now I can't wait to receive the Phi CC for demo.

Sep 24, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #7,139 of 22,431

Well, first I have to say I understand why the CC pads are generally considered an improvement and I have to make clear that my perception is solely based on listening to classical music. I find the Abyss Phi to be outstanding, although in my opinion they have a subtle coloration in the high frequencies (hard to describe, but I "feel" a nasal color on everything). With the old pads, I always have the feeling that I just need a minute, and I can adapt to it and forget about that color, and then everything just sounds natural. With the CC pads, I simply cannot. Specially with violins (no matter if it is a solo violin, a chamber music, or a full orchestra), I hear them quite coloured, and I am not able to adapt to that sound, I just hear it weird, to be honest. With the new pads, the midrange is clearly warmer, more present and more appealing, but in my opinion, the whole spectrum is affected somehow. Plus, I love the fact that with the old pads I can leave a small gap between me and the pads; I think that creates a very unique experience. With the new pads, I cannot do it, the pads always clamp, and I feel that as a more conventional headphone experience.
Again, I see why the new pads are so attractive, but they're not for me:)

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #7,140 of 22,431
Interesting counter experience well defined.
When I have time I'll have to revisit the originals and hear what I hear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back