The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 2, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #5,987 of 22,431
Nov 2, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #5,988 of 22,431
Is the Abyss the reason you got rid of your Stax?

Partially, but after 5 years I was looking for a change (plus not wanting to invest $8k+ on a new BHSE was also part of it). Plus I need to upgrade my 5 year old iMac.

Nov 2, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #5,989 of 22,431
Took my phi to the az meet, for the few hours I could stay, some few people had a chance to get a good impression. Wish I could have stayed longer. Really wish I could try Dave with them. As it was, I was really impressed (mind blown) with a yggy setup with lots of power and signal conditioning and also very, very much liked the Eddie Current Balancing Act fed from a PS Audio DAC. Way different setups, but I couldn't know which I prefer without hours and hours of sampling both. Everybody that could try the phi in the short time I was there liked them. Awesome.
Does the BA have enough power to drive the Phi? My impression is that one needs a lot more power to drive the Phi properly.

Nov 2, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #5,990 of 22,431
Does the BA have enough power to drive the Phi? My impression is that one needs a lot more power to drive the Phi properly.

We took a chance, thinking it might not be enough. Happily, it sounded very nice with the volume at 2 o'clock. It did seem to require more careful placement over our ears though, to find the sweet spot of great sound. More power would be better, but it was a nice experience for my first head phone tube amp listen.

Nov 2, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #5,991 of 22,431
We took a chance, thinking it might not be enough. Happily, it sounded very nice with the volume at 2 o'clock. It did seem to require more careful placement over our ears though, to find the sweet spot of great sound. More power would be better, but it was a nice experience for my first head phone tube amp listen.
It is a very high entry point for your tube headamp listen. I have a very rare, modded (done by Craig himself) BA to allow the use of PX25 tubes. It is quite a bit more powerful with PX25 than other power tubes like PX4 or 300B. I hope it is suitable for Phi.

Nov 2, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #5,992 of 22,431
the dave drives the Phi quite nicely.....an amp that doesnt disturb the marvelous transparency of the dave would be a positive

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #5,993 of 22,431
When i read “Abyss Phi + DAVE” comments makes me look back in the side mirror...:

I just wish all of you could have a listen to my ever evolving rig, i have built and re-built over and over, so many times during the last 4-5 years now , so i have lost count.
Today after all these years of testing out gear , tuning , and some more testing on what gives an effect on the sound and what does not , to find the balance between cost / performance in every part i think i am almost begin to reach the top of the mountain, and start to feel satisfied, and i am very hard to please when it comes to sound..

The sound and synergy today is so far beyond the sound i had for 1,5-2 year ago with Abyss + DAVE ( +Headtrip as an option ) i had at that time, so it would be great fun to share a better than life experience from my point of view with you guys..

So i am a bit sad, that you guys can not here it out just, and it does not do justice to record it either..

So how does it sound then you may ask??

In short:

The sound is better than live experience, effortless , big, holographic fluid, dynamic in every respect, not overly bright, or hard or any inconvenient artefact at all, just pure balanced and perfect with musicality, timbre, great impact and timing and depth, as the sound was intended to, or was it really this good in the studio ?

But it do exist 100.000 Dollar +++ rigs here in this forum? Yes it does, but i have found the perfect balance for me when it comes to the synergy / performance per dollar i think.

The sound of the Abyss Phi (and many more high end headphones i have tested) are maxed out in almost every respect with todays High End Tech and for what they can deliver, i can tell without being noble or brag.

So a mile stone have bin achieved here for me, but not for my bank account...

I do not want any applauds or anything, i just felt i need to share this to you guys.

It has been a fun ride and a roller-coster where everything comes to an end, so i just going to sit tight in the chair and listen and relax a little while now, and i will consider if i sell it or what i do..

(Just to clarify:
I am not using DAVE any more )

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #5,994 of 22,431
When i read “Abyss Phi + DAVE” comments makes me look back in the side mirror...:

I just wish all of you could have a listen to my ever evolving rig, i have built and re-built over and over, so many times during the last 4-5 years now , so i have lost count.
Today after all these years of testing out gear , tuning , and some more testing on what gives an effect on the sound and what does not , to find the balance between cost / performance in every part i think i am almost begin to reach the top of the mountain, and start to feel satisfied, and i am very hard to please when it comes to sound..

The sound and synergy today is so far beyond the sound i had for 1,5-2 year ago with Abyss + DAVE ( +Headtrip as an option ) i had at that time, so it would be great fun to share a better than life experience from my point of view with you guys..

So i am sad you guys can not here it just, and it does not do justice to record it either..

So how does it sound then you may ask??

In short:

The sound is better than live experience, effortless , big, holographic fluid, dynamic in every respect, not overly bright, or hard or any inconvenient artefact at all, just pure balanced and perfect with musicality, timbre, great impact and timing and depth, as the sound was intended to, or was it really this good in the studio really ?

But it do exist 100.000 Dollar +++ rigs here in this forum? Yes it does, but i have found the perfect balance for me when it comes to the synergy / performance per dollar i think.

The sound of the Abyss Phi (and many more high end headphones i have tested) are maxed out in almost every respect with todays High End Tech and for what they can deliver, i can tell without being noble or brag.

So a mile stone have bin achieved here for me, but not for my bank account...

I do not want any applauds or anything, i just felt i need to share this to you guys.

It has been a run ride and a roller-coster where everything comes to an end, so i just going to sit tight in the chair and listen and relax a little while now, and i will consider if i sell it or what i do..

Did I miss what you are currently using? Dave + Moon 600i?

Nov 3, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #5,995 of 22,431
Did I miss what you are currently using? Dave + Moon 600i?

I think i was not clear in my text, and yes i am NOT using the DAVE any longer, what i am saying is that i have gone beyond the DAVE sound, and i actually do not find the synergy with DAVE + Abyss to be as good vs my new setup dCS Rossini + dCS Master Clock 5.6 Mhz + dCS Network clock Bridge + CAD gc3 Earthing box + Moon 600i V2 dual mono setup using Fiber optic Cisco media converters in single mode to the dCS streamer to get a perfect galvanic shield from the Router. Battery drive for the media converters TX + RT and router and many more tweaks to accomplish this perfect for my ears balanced synergy.

This setup could be a reference rig for JPS Labs to test out, but it does not comes for free, but maybe if Diana start toll sell like hot cup cakes..

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #5,996 of 22,431
Bloody hell.
Interesting that you have ended up back at the Moon 600i. If I remember correctly, you bought that fairly early on, and have had pretty much every high end headphone amp on the market in that time but have gone back to the moon. Pretty special amp huh?

Nov 3, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #5,997 of 22,431
Yes it is the new 600i V2 , not the old 600i.
Had the 700i home for testing also, but it sounds a bit to thick and to full, so you miss out slightly in the airiness and vividness, so my money fell on the new V2 edition instead.

Then i got one more secret ingredient, an external analog filter i am testing out for more musicality, but it is not ready for the market yet, but soon.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #5,998 of 22,431
I think i was not clear in my text, and yes i am NOT using the DAVE any longer, what i am saying is that i have gone beyond the DAVE sound, and i actually do not find the synergy with DAVE + Abyss to be as good vs my new setup dCS Rossini + dCS Master Clock 5.6 Mhz + dCS Network clock Bridge + CAD gc3 Earthing box + Moon 600i V2 dual mono setup using Fiber optic Cisco media converters in single mode to the dCS streamer to get a perfect galvanic shield from the Router. Battery drive for the media converters TX + RT and router and many more tweaks to accomplish this perfect for my ears balanced synergy.

Looked up the components, and that's quite the setup. Do you find a good deal of incremental sound value for the amount spent? Or is that needed to chase a smaller percentage of improvement?

I'm wondering if you...as someone who's gone up the chain with hi-end stuff...find the returns to be diminishing. Or if you do.

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #5,999 of 22,431
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Nov 8, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #6,000 of 22,431
Looked up the components, and that's quite the setup. Do you find a good deal of incremental sound value for the amount spent? Or is that needed to chase a smaller percentage of improvement?

I'm wondering if you...as someone who's gone up the chain with hi-end stuff...find the returns to be diminishing. Or if you do.

It is easier to say you can not get this type of sound with a less graded system or a DAP etc, so i cant masseur it in percentage, because it sound in a different way, and maxing out the headphones to its full potential or over its potential, i have discovered.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back