The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #5,761 of 22,434
You mention 'not hearing the small tinkles' so are you saying less detail/information at these frequencies. If so I am 'worried'.

Not as prounaunced with the micro detail nuances as before, more "groovy" feeded to your ears. Like bigger squared bits.

(Nintendo 8bit graphic vs Nintendo 64 graphics bit depht )

Better in most parts overal with the great control, but diffrent in some with the same source / amp / DAC / cables / vol., but i am very analythical also, so some would not recognize it depending on what they focus on in the presentation.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #5,763 of 22,434
Every time i've been away from abyss for a while and put it back on, im surprised all over again at just how good they are, they really are a special gem. Cant wait to get my Phi in December.

Sep 2, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #5,764 of 22,434
I do not compare the Abyss Phi to any other headphones, i compare them to high end speakers and the old Abyss, i do not find any other comparsion.

Good speakers will always trump headphones in terms of imaging and staging.
Headphones are convenient and don't annoy our partners..

Sep 3, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #5,765 of 22,434
Not as prounaunced with the micro detail nuances as before, more "groovy" feeded to your ears. Like bigger squared bits.

(Nintendo 8bit graphic vs Nintendo 64 graphics bit depht )

Better in most parts overal with the great control, but diffrent in some with the same source / amp / DAC / cables / vol., but i am very analythical also, so some would not recognize it depending on what they focus on in the presentation.
I have the standard Abyss, & this is exactly what I would not expect, (especially from a thinner diaphragm) & also is against what I would want if going to the Phi. Also seems not to gell with comments as to taking the standard Abyss to more towards the Focal, (in regards to 'detail' retrieval at least).
I am sure that Beolab would not think this unreasonable, so could others chime in as to the differences they have perceived.
Yes I am 'worried' about "loosing the tinkles".
Thanks!

Sep 3, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #5,766 of 22,434
If I'd have to guess any 'tinkles 18 feet away' were 'distortions' of the original recording. A distant (very low level) sound would in no way be eliminated with the Phi, rather portrayed more accurately to the way it was recorded. In other words, what was once heard as a tinkle may now be two or more distinct obvious sounds. There is much that goes on within the space of recordings that is normally masked or disguised, Phi better extracts and unbundles this crazy low level stuff.

Beolab has also been tweaking his system to his new Phi, it's not the same as it was. Too many variables here...

I should add that our goal has never been to design and tune our drivers toward any other manufacturer's sound. It should be obvious we have our own path. smiley_abyss1.gif

Last edited:
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Sep 4, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #5,768 of 22,434
If I'd have to guess any 'tinkles 18 feet away' were 'distortions' of the original recording. A distant (very low level) sound would in no way be eliminated with the Phi, rather portrayed more accurately to the way it was recorded. In other words, what was once heard as a tinkle may now be two or more distinct obvious sounds. There is much that goes on within the space of recordings that is normally masked or disguised, Phi better extracts and unbundles this crazy low level stuff.

Beolab has also been tweaking his system to his new Phi, it's not the same as it was. Too many variables here...

I should add that our goal has never been to design and tune our drivers toward any other manufacturer's sound. It should be obvious we have our own path.
Hi Joe,
Your response is very much appreciated.
I am sure that Beolab will 'understand' my needing to address the matter, & obviously he is indicating what he actually hears.
I am sure wanting all the "tinkles" I can manage, (transferred to my ageing ears).
Thank you

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #5,769 of 22,434
I can't wait until there's a set of Phi drivers with my name on them.

Sep 4, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #5,772 of 22,434
Hi Joe,
Your response is very much appreciated.
I am sure that Beolab will 'understand' my needing to address the matter, & obviously he is indicating what he actually hears.
I am sure wanting all the "tinkles" I can manage, (transferred to my ageing ears).
Thank you

The Abyss like the Utopia and Susvara is rather smooth on top unlike a stock HD800 and to a lesser extent the HEK V2. The HD800 shines a spotlight on the upper frequencies thereby giving the impression of more air and detail. With the Abyss Phi being smoother you hear those details in the highs but not with the same laser like sharpness.

The Abyss like the Utopia appears more focused on the mids and unlike any other headphone I've heard the BASS. The Abyss has an upfront presentation unlike the Susvara, because of this I noticed details in the midrange I didn't on the Susvara until I went back listening for it. The Susvara soundstage presentation is more mid hall giving me the greater impression of depth and
the overall recording venue.

I'll sum up the whole "tinkles" matter with what a buddy of mine had to say. "I really don't think the Abyss Phi has less resolution, just a different spotlight focus area being more on mids & bass, & less on trebles, which is actually a plus for modern bright music".

Sep 5, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #5,773 of 22,434
The Abyss like the Utopia and Susvara is rather smooth on top unlike a stock HD800 and to a lesser extent the HEK V2. The HD800 shines a spotlight on the upper frequencies thereby giving the impression of more air and detail. With the Abyss Phi being smoother you hear those details in the highs but not with the same laser like sharpness.

The Abyss like the Utopia appears more focused on the mids and unlike any other headphone I've heard the BASS. The Abyss has an upfront presentation unlike the Susvara, because of this I noticed details in the midrange I didn't on the Susvara until I went back listening for it. The Susvara soundstage presentation is more mid hall giving me the greater impression of depth and
the overall recording venue.

I'll sum up the whole "tinkles" matter with what a buddy of mine had to say. "I really don't think the Abyss Phi has less resolution, just a different spotlight focus area being more on mids & bass, & less on trebles, which is actually a plus for modern bright music".

How did you compare Susvara vs HEK v2 in terms of Bass and Subbass?

Sep 5, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #5,774 of 22,434
I was listening to my Utopia earlier tonight...enjoying some Elvis Costello and Steely Dan but finding it a bit fatiguing....i have had a love hate relationship with the Utopia since i got it...great respect for its technical abilities....incredible detail and most of all its marvelous efficiency....what always frustrated me was and is the closed in feeling and the in your face presentation....i finally switched to my Phi and it was a revelation....the soundstage expands but most of all there is a sense of space and air around the instruments....simply for me something closer to the real thing....the Phi is very detailed,perhaps not as detailed as the Utopia but if not damn close.....the one thing that has kept me from selling my Utopia is the efficiency which is a real godsend at times and IMHO the strength of the Utopia as well as the build quality....I am not writing this to bash the Utopia,far from it i am writing this to praise the Phi and use the Utopia as a comparison,a frame of reference....now if the Phi was only more comfortable lol.....cant have everything!.......

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #5,775 of 22,434
I am surprised by the new Phi version upgraded from the original 1266. One thing I noticed is that the mid-range has evolved to be much smoother, which caters to my favourite vocal range.

I am not a fan of classics so I have not idea about it. But for a Pop/Rock fan, phi works better!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back