The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #5,793 of 22,434
Yes for the moment i am going back to stock JPS cable and JPS Superconductor, because i need to found my new DCS DAC + DCS Master Clock i have bought.

The "HiFi" bank account is empty otherwise, so the cables had to go sadly.

So the Stock will be playing for a while now and maybe i aim for a DHC later on.

Sep 17, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #5,794 of 22,434
Yes for the moment i am going back to stock JPS cable and JPS Superconductor, because i need to found my new DCS DAC + DCS Master Clock i have bought.

The "HiFi" bank account is empty otherwise, so the cables had to go sadly.

So the Stock will be playing for a while now and maybe i aim for a DHC later on.

Interesting to hear that you have bought a DCS DAC combo. I take that as a sign that you prefer DCS over Chord knowing that you sold your DAVE.
Which DCS combo did you buy?
Cheers Christer

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #5,795 of 22,434
I still got one Dave left for my piano black ATC speakers in the living room , just sold one out of two units.

The DCS got a different sound, with more weight , precision , stability , correctness, less pre / after ringing, and it sounds as it looks, its a good explanation, like a rock.

The DAVE is more a nuanced like an optical microscope with layers and layers of pristine layering and is a little more fluid / holographic, with its advanced analog output stage, but the precision and soundstage is not as precisely placed out. The prestine sound can easily be ruined by a not true transparent amp or pre-amp or a weak streamer, whereas the DCS precision sound shines through more strong even if you try to tweak the sound down the chain.

So for now i like the DCS sound better, but it can be a different story next month regardless of the price.

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #5,796 of 22,434
I still got one Dave left for my piano black ATC speakers in the living room , just sold one out of two units.

The DCS got a different sound, with more weight , precision , stability , correctness, less pre / after ringing, and it sounds as it looks, its a good explanation, like a rock.

The DAVE is more a nuanced like an optical microscope with layers and layers of pristine layering and is a little more fluid / holographic, with its advanced analog output stage, but the precision and soundstage is not as precisely placed out. The prestine sound can easily be ruined by a not true transparent amp or pre-amp or a weak streamer, whereas the DCS precision sound shines through more strong even if you try to tweak the sound down the chain.

So for now i like the DCS sound better, but it can be a different story next month regardless of the price.
Thanks, dCs Vivaldi or Rossini?

Sep 17, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #5,797 of 22,434
The one who waits for something good, can not wait to long:wink:

Cant tell at the moment, have to insure it first, it is in another leage price wise than Chord yo know..

PS
How is it going with the "saving up for the Hugo 2" Christer?

I expecting a order from you after lurking around in the DAVE and Hugo threads for years know, and getting more and more tierd of your Hugo 1 and Benchmark ?:wink:

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #5,798 of 22,434
The one who waits for something good, can not wait to long:wink:

Cant tell at the moment, have to insure it first, it is in another leage price wise than Chord yo know..

PS
How is it going with the "saving up for the Hugo 2" Christer?

I expecting a order from you after lurking around in the DAVE and Hugo threads for years know, and getting more and seems more and more tierd of your Hugo 1 and Benchmark ?:wink:

Hi Fredrik, to be quite honest, prices in Sweden are too high so if I buy a HUGO 2 or DAVE I'll buy it in Asia.
It is not that I need to save up to buy either HUGO 2 or even a DAVE. But I still suspect that there might be cheaper ways to achieve basically the same SQ a lot cheaper than what Chord is asking for their products.
HUGO is good in many ways for its size but very problematic in other ways. And not quite what I had been expecting from all the hype around it when launched.
And it is interesting to get all this input from others before actually auditioning HUGO 2.
And I also enjoy lurking a bit.

Moreover all the QC problems reported here regarding HUGO 2 has made me a bit wary.
It seems they have at least solved one major problem with HUGO 1 on HUGO 2.
A dead batttery does not equal a dead DAC as on my HUGO
And although not quite in DAVE or dCs territory,my Benchmark DAC 2 especially via my HEKV 2 sounds very nice indeed with well recorded acoustic music.
And contrary to what many chord fanboys believe there are other good DACs too. dCs is used by some classical music recording companies for example.
As are Merging and RME ADC/DACs
And Benchmark are behind some excellent sounding recordings from no less a stellar orchestra and hall than the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam so I am not in a hurry to waste money for small improvements.
"I'm good" as the Amercans say.
Let us know how your still "secret" dCS sounds .
The latest dCS I heard was a Vivaldi unit.
I haven't auditioned the Rossini yet.
Cheers Christer

Sep 24, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #5,799 of 22,434
Update on the Abyss Phi.

Mine have been on 12 hour daily burn in cycles. They are now just over the 300 hour mark and what a difference some significant time has made to the sound! The bass is much deeper and better defined, the treble has improved and the sibilance on all vocals has pretty much disappeared except for some tracks that exhibit natural sibilance. The soundstage has widened and the depth has increased nicely.

When I initially wrote my listening impressions I did make a caveat that they were likely to change however I did not expect them to change this much. I feel compelled to say now that no other headphone has the rock solid slam of the Abyss Phi, I was concerned earlier as I felt that the bass lacked the weight of the previous version but now they are run in the bass has more weight is better delineated and thunderous. I will continue to monitor them for changes as time on them increases.

My current favourite headphone is the Abyss Phi.

Listening to the following albums:

Alien Covenant
Snowden
Inferno
Dunkirk
Sicario
Prometheus
Atonement
Zero Dark Thirty
Stripped - Macy Gray
Patricia Barber - Companion

Sep 24, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #5,800 of 22,434
Update on the Abyss Phi.

Mine have been on 12 hour daily burn in cycles. They are now just over the 300 hour mark and what a difference some significant time has made to the sound! The bass is much deeper and better defined, the treble has improved and the sibilance on all vocals has pretty much disappeared except for some tracks that exhibit natural sibilance. The soundstage has widened and the depth has increased nicely.

When I initially wrote my listening impressions I did make a caveat that they were likely to change however I did not expect them to change this much. I feel compelled to say now that no other headphone has the rock solid slam of the Abyss Phi, I was concerned earlier as I felt that the bass lacked the weight of the previous version but now they are run in the bass has more weight is better delineated and thunderous. I will continue to monitor them for changes as time on them increases.

Alien Covenant
Snowden
Inferno
Dunkirk
Sicario
Prometheus
Atonement
Zero Dark Thirty
Stripped - Macy Gray
Your favourite headphone even above the hifiman susvara?

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #5,801 of 22,434
Your favourite headphone even above the hifiman susvara?
Yes at the moment. The Abyss is an event to listen to. Nothing can compare with its Thunderous bass energy and ability to tweak the soundstage as you wish. It does need time, if you go into a store to have a listen to a demo pair, it would behoove you to makes sure they have had plenty of hours on them otherwise you are wasting your time.

Sep 25, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #5,802 of 22,434
Update on the Abyss Phi.

Alien Covenant
Snowden
Inferno
Dunkirk
Sicario
Prometheus
Atonement
Zero Dark Thirty
Stripped - Macy Gray
This gives me something to look forward to, I listen a couple hours here a couple hours there, it's going to take me awhile to get to 300 hours :L3000:

Sep 27, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #5,803 of 22,434
Thanks iSquirrel.

Can't wait for January for my set of Phi drivers.

Sep 27, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #5,804 of 22,434
Sep 27, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #5,805 of 22,434
you sure are a fickle listener lol....i cant wait for your next detour

I still think I might be home at the Abyss and soon the Abyss Phi.
It's the one constant in my changing collection and listening patterns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back