The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 29, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #5,746 of 22,434
Yes includes original abyss and no I have t listened to susvara. Phi is as I said a big improvement on the original IMHO

Aug 29, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #5,747 of 22,434
The Phi got a more "compact/solid" presentation and the notes are more or less in a iron grip. And the background sounds (i named them like magic details) in the midrange that could sound like a small tinkle far out of the headphone like 18 feet away sometimes in a orchestra, these sounds i do not here any longer, or i here them but much narrower with less resolution.

And the bass, it is confirmd that it got a -3db drop around 15-30 hz.

So overal the Phi sounding more mature and tight, more like the presentation of Utopia, and they can handle deep bass with plenty of control and does not ever start to rumble when they have to work with more complex deep bass music types.

The old Abyss is more like a younger untamed puppy that got great energy and rumble with a more U-shaped charactere in its presentation.
More rock-party-headphone you could say, and i would recommend a listening to all of you that got the opportunity just for a comparison, because the taste is always divided as we have learned.

And mark my words, the Phi is the better headphone no question about it, but the org. version is maybe more fun on some tracks/music.

I have compensate the the -3db loss in the lower end by using a iTube II Buffer amp, where i can add +6db in just 35hz and downwards, it does not affect the rest of the overall presentation at all, because it is a clever cirucut in analog domain,( not any digital EQ which i dont like either)

This is my solution for the slight slight loss in the lower end for now, and i get +3db extra as payback, this make the Phi to sound as an live playback in your livingroom! Without the +6db in 35hz they sound slightly dry for my taste and in comparison to the old Abyss, because i like the visceral effect when they breath and you are feeling the air is moving around your head.

Thats life; you earn some and you loose some, it is impossible to have it all at the same time, or maybe Joe can make a custom sub bass version for you Paulie if you send him your thick wallet or the Platinum / Centurion Amex digits. :wink:

Phi= Breathtakingly good in the end i have to say and that is with just some small tweaks i have dun to my setup to accomplish this.

I hope this will shade some light to your question and on your decision to upgrade to the Phi's Paulie.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #5,748 of 22,434
I had the original version briefly and have the Phi now. The difference is not huge.
I EQ the lower bass range down sometimes even on the Phi, as it sometimes is quite overbearing. It's deliciously good either way, of course -- better than anything else I've heard. Makes my HD800S sound tinny in comparison.

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #5,754 of 22,434
The Phi got a more "compact/solid" presentation and the notes are more or less in a iron grip. And the background sounds (i named them like magic details) in the midrange that could sound like a small tinkle far out of the headphone like 18 feet away sometimes in a orchestra, these sounds i do not here any longer, or i here them but much narrower with less resolution.

And the bass, it is confirmd that it got a -3db drop around 15-30 hz.

So overal the Phi sounding more mature and tight, more like the presentation of Utopia, and they can handle deep bass with plenty of control and does not ever start to rumble when they have to work with more complex deep bass music types.

The old Abyss is more like a younger untamed puppy that got great energy and rumble with a more U-shaped charactere in its presentation.
More rock-party-headphone you could say, and i would recommend a listening to all of you that got the opportunity just for a comparison, because the taste is always divided as we have learned.

And mark my words, the Phi is the better headphone no question about it, but the org. version is maybe more fun on some tracks/music.

I have compensate the the -3db loss in the lower end by using a iTube II Buffer amp, where i can add +6db in just 35hz and downwards, it does not affect the rest of the overall presentation at all, because it is a clever cirucut in analog domain,( not any digital EQ which i dont like either)

This is my solution for the slight slight loss in the lower end for now, and i get +3db extra as payback, this make the Phi to sound as an live playback in your livingroom! Without the +6db in 35hz they sound slightly dry for my taste and in comparison to the old Abyss, because i like the visceral effect when they breath and you are feeling the air is moving around your head.

Thats life; you earn some and you loose some, it is impossible to have it all at the same time, or maybe Joe can make a custom sub bass version for you Paulie if you send him your thick wallet or the Platinum / Centurion Amex digits. :wink:

Phi= Breathtakingly good in the end i have to say and that is with just some small tweaks i have dun to my setup to accomplish this.

I hope this will shade some light to your question and on your decision to upgrade to the Phi's Paulie.
You mention 'not hearing the small tinkles' so are you saying less detail/information at these frequencies. If so I am 'worried'.

Aug 31, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #5,757 of 22,434
Snímka obrazovky 2017-08-31 o 12.20.14.png

Sep 1, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #5,759 of 22,434
So on the fence about upgrading to the Abyss Phi over my current Abyss.

Sep 2, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #5,760 of 22,434
I had the original version briefly and have the Phi now. The difference is not huge.
I EQ the lower bass range down sometimes even on the Phi, as it sometimes is quite overbearing. It's deliciously good either way, of course -- better than anything else I've heard. Makes my HD800S sound tinny in comparison.

I do not compare the Abyss Phi to any other headphones, i compare them to high end speakers and the old Abyss, i do not find any other comparsion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back