The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #5,522 of 22,434
  14 weeks from the time it is sent in to the time you get it back?....that is 3 1/2 months lol...there could be a new model before you get it back!

no, i think 14 weeks from today before the upgrade program is ready, so i'll just send it then, for what im hoping is a 1-2week turn around lol. Any longer would be crazy to live without abyss.

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #5,525 of 22,434
After reading all the posts in this thread i still haven't figured out the right amp for me yet. I want an amp that has excellent amount of details large soundstage and excellent dynamics.

Set your Budget, try all of amp that within your Budget the price range, make decision base on your own taste, that it:D. What i want to say trust your own ear, rather than reading the word on forum, they will never accurate.

Apr 16, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #5,527 of 22,434
After reading all the posts in this thread i still haven't figured out the right amp for me yet. I want an amp that has excellent amount of details large soundstage and excellent dynamics.

You read the whole thing?  Wow.  Well as you would have worked out by now, it's personal preference - not one amp suits everybody in every situation and the only way to know which is right for you is to audition.  Head trip is a lot more than $4k by the way, so it looks like the WA5 for you.  Mind you, you can spend $$$$ upgrading tubes etc which you will most likely do over time out of curiosity/the pursuit of a better sound.  

Apr 16, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #5,528 of 22,434
As we all have concluded by now, it is a hard task to find the perfect amp, but it sounds like you favour a more transparent tube amp from your description.

One brand you could try out as an alternative to Woo WA5 is the Eddie Current line up of headphone Tube amps.

The Eddie Current Studio is the reference statment, but they got a little more modest priced amps also. The look is not the greatest maybe in relation to Woo, but sounds great from the few i have had the chance to listen to.

Another more versatile hybrid is the
Ifi iCan Pro Tube amp, that i have listened to with Focal Utopia, and i like it alot (but not the headphones so much :wink: . It got great drive and you got the benefit to customise the sound for you own taste.

Good Luck in the search

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #5,531 of 22,434
Hello,
Hello @Thaudiophile,

I read that as a transistor, the MOON 430 HA is a good choice, very transparent.
Another one: the Luxman p700u, warmer.

​You could also look at a nice tube amp able to drive the Abyss if you feed it with at least 3V: the AURIS HA-2.

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #5,533 of 22,434
  For me, store demo units fall in the same category as rental cars... things I would never ever want to own because they get abused to hell and back.

Agreed, I know the Abyss they are selling, it has been around since the dawn of time and done every show etc. I do have an Abyss in as new condition and still boxed if anyone is interested as I will be getting a new Phi. 

PM me if anyone is interested, its in perfect condition and not even burned in.

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #5,534 of 22,434
I will be doing the first exclusive review of the new Woo WA33 Elite edition straight after Munich. There are two versions, the standard for $8K and the Elite for approx $16K. I will have something else to compare it to from the same manufacturer. Plenty of interesting stuff to write about for you guys.

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #5,535 of 22,434
Agreed, I know the Abyss they are selling, it has been around since the dawn of time and done every show etc. I do have an Abyss in as new condition and still boxed if anyone is interested as I will be getting a new Phi. 

PM me if anyone is interested, its in perfect condition and not even burned in.

It would be nice if you knew before you mentioned that! It's not the case at all that demo was sold a while back and was a full edition not lite.

The one we are selling now is almost brand new really!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back