The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Mar 30, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #5,371 of 22,434

Is Moon 430 up to the job to drive the 1266 well in general? I know there are always better options though. 

The Moon 430 has a lot of fans.  

I'm using my Abyss straight out of a DAP which does a great job (at reasonable volume levels) and the new Abyss looks to be even easier to drive than the current version.  Many people are also using their Abyss straight out of a Dave which I believe is essentially a line level output.  

Gobs of power is often desired for an Abyss system but not essential.  More of a question of voicing and personal preference I think - even probably moreso now with the Phi - if it's meant to sound even more like the source/amp than before.

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #5,372 of 22,434
I think I might asked the question in a wrong way. I have 430HA and I am thinking about getting the new 1266, I was trying to ask if 430HA will be good enough to do the job, but as I re-read my question it kinda sounds like I'm doubting the ones who are using 430HA to drive the 1266s.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #5,373 of 22,434
The 430 is a slight laid back smoother in its signature presentation and need more bottom end, drive and control, but yes it can drive the Abyss, but not to the fullest of their potential in my opinion, vs other amps.

With DAVE you get a very transparent but kind of flat analytic sound
( Studio Monitor sound) , and it can be a slight boring in the long term in combination with Abyss, without any separate amp in between.

But my recommendation is to try the 430 with the new Abyss Phi and see what you think, it is a highly regarded amp.

It is more down to when you have listened to most of the known High End amps / DAC's mated to Abyss, you raise you reference bar each time if you find it better, and it is harder to go back. So it is easier to not listen to anything else if one is happy with their gear / sound.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #5,374 of 22,434
The 430 is a slight laid back in its signature and need more bottom end, drive and control, but yes it can drive the Abyss, but not to the fullest of their potential in my opinion.

But my rekomendation is to try it with the Abyss and see what you think, it is a highly regarded amp.[/quote

When I tried it with the HD800 I found it too smooth and sterile. Not fun.

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #5,375 of 22,434
I vote you get two Abyss :D

How long until the new models are in store Joe?

A2A ordered the Phi for their stores, about a month.

Is Moon 430 up to the job to drive the 1266 well in general? I know there are always better options though. 

I think the Moon 430 and the AB-1266 Phi are an excellent combo.

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Mar 30, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #5,376 of 22,434
How refreshing. That's how it should be done. Not countless distinct revisions (hello, Audeze et al.), an updated driver that is added to new models and upgraded in the older.

Respect to you for not releasing the AB-1288's for £5K.

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #5,377 of 22,434
The 430 is a slight laid back smoother in its signature presentation and need more bottom end, drive and control, but yes it can drive the Abyss, but not to the fullest of their potential in my opinion, vs other amps.

With DAVE you get a very transparent but kind of flat analytic sound
( Studio Monitor sound) , and it can be a slight boring in the long term in combination with Abyss, without any separate amp in between.

But my recommendation is to try the 430 with the new Abyss Phi and see what you think, it is a highly regarded amp.

It is more down to when you have listened to most of the known High End amps / DAC's mated to Abyss, you raise you reference bar each time if you find it better, and it is harder to go back. So it is easier to not listen to anything else if one is happy with their gear / sound.

I use the Abyss straight out of my Dave and it drives it just fine...I also have the Moon 430 which is a fantastic amp...that said,straight out of the Dave is simply better..more transparent...if you like the colored sound of an amp any amp that is obviously personal preference

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #5,379 of 22,434
I use the Abyss straight out of my Dave and it drives it just fine...I also have the Moon 430 which is a fantastic amp...that said,straight out of the Dave is simply better..more transparent...if you like the colored sound of an amp any amp that is obviously personal preference

The old amp debate again :wink:

I got them both but moon 600i insted of 430 , and honestly i would say the best sound is someware in between them two, but the favor is laying towards DAVE
( DAVE -II-- 600i)

When you listen to DAVE you feel you are losing a bit life "room presents" , atmosphere , bottom end are more numb,
and it sound a bit flat ( especially with headphones like HD650 or HD800), if you have heard the band plaing live in a studio which i have on a very few albums i got in my possession for example.
With the Moon, you receive a bigger more richer balanced / fuller and slight smoother ( colorised) sound, but less transparancy, not perfect, but some friends who like to listen to music and play instruments and like high end gear but who only have read about it, are trouly blown away when i start with just DAVE, and then attach the Moon to the mix.

They do not understand wich combination they have listen to. But in the end they favor the 600i in the mix because the sound got more life and feel more musical and impact-ful.

To my ears who are more experienced HiFi listener can say that the DAVE alone is the best, no question about it, but in the long term it is more easy to listen to the DAVE with a high end amp

So i would have liked a few filtersettings on DAVE would have been great, so you can control it for your self from track to track.

No normal person like it to sterile / flat with a microscopic lence feel in every detail or flaw, it does not sound like that in real life, because we are not accuse to it. When we listen to a concert the sound are also slight colorised with warmth from the acustics in the music hall or from the mixing tables ( if non classical ) .

So yes slight color do we all humans like, so my guess is that the Hugo 2 with the Mojo filter + Blue II combo could be a hit. I got them both on order, and will compare the Blu II + Hugo2 with DAVE and vice versa.

Mar 30, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #5,381 of 22,434
  Wow, such interesting news.

I'm more concerned that this upgrade will change the voicing to something I am less fond of..
Hopefully I can get a loaner of the upgraded unit. Else I will have to have two x abyss :/

My concern is similar to Xecuter's. Will wait for what I hope will be additional feedback from owners updating from the original as to perceived differences.
Should anyone be doing so, I am particularly interested in them, (in being 'quicker/cleaner' I believe) not being clinical in achieving this.
I also have found, (personal opinion of course) that they are slightly recessed in the mid range, (just a little "U" curved) & interested in any change re this.
THANKS.

Mar 30, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #5,382 of 22,434
Do we get to keep out original drivers? If I don't like this update, I would be happy if I had an option to reverse the mod..

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #5,383 of 22,434
  Do we get to keep out original drivers? If I don't like this update, I would be happy if I had an option to reverse the mod..

This is what Joe sent me:

That pricing considers the trade-in of your original speaker drivers. Missing drivers will incur an additional charge to complete the upgrade.

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #5,384 of 22,434
now they just need to put them in a headband that doesn't look ridiculous and they have a winner :wink:

No kidding lol. I am very interested in these cans but don't want to end up looking like this when I want to enjoy some tunes:

Simon%20Kirk.jpg

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #5,385 of 22,434
I'm at a loss with people who go on about the looks. They CANNOT have a typical headband due to the nature of how they should be placed on your ears (a light touch, no clamping whatsoever).

Buying headphones—which you wear at home, alone—at this price level while prioritising looks over sound is completely non-sensical. 

If you want a unique, spacious and dynamic sound style that can't be had by any other headphone on the planet - the Abyss are for you. If you want a typical sounding headphone that is expensive, great sounding and pretty (so you look 'cool' in selfies or in the reflection of your monitor), look elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back