The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Mar 14, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #5,311 of 22,511
  Yes. Adding an amp may change the sound, but so will a headphone and the headphone cable. At this level, almost every component will change the sound. The question is whether the change is for the better or worse.

I can say with quite a bit of confidence that the use of an external power amp will color the sound quite a bit more than a cable will.....perhaps people like it better and in some cases it is a necessity but an amp does indeed make a change to what you hear

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #5,314 of 22,511

Who are you responding to?

This^

I have owned every TOTL and plenty of TOTL amps/dacs, etc. and the Abyss AB-1266 is a permanent member of my collection at the moment.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #5,315 of 22,511
i have had my abyss for a couple of days and thus far i am very impressed...up until now i have gone back and forth between the lcd-4 and utopia as to which is the best HP out there....the abyss has certainly made this a 3 way discussion and i would go so far as to that if the abyss was as comfortable and easy to wear and put on and take as the utopia is it would be my go to HP....the damn thing sounds so good but is so finicky and difficult to get just right....each time i put it on is an ordeal but while i have it on the performance is glorious....hopefully over time i figure out the fit issues

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #5,316 of 22,511
  i have had my abyss for a couple of days and thus far i am very impressed...up until now i have gone back and forth between the lcd-4 and utopia as to which is the best HP out there....the abyss has certainly made this a 3 way discussion and i would go so far as to that if the abyss was as comfortable and easy to wear and put on and take as the utopia is it would be my go to HP....the damn thing sounds so good but is so finicky and difficult to get just right....each time i put it on is an ordeal but while i have it on the performance is glorious....hopefully over time i figure out the fit issues

I had the same issues originally.

What fixed 90% of fit issues for me was getting a different sized headband (the ear pads shouldn't touch your ears in any way)

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #5,317 of 22,511

Haha.  I know this road all too well.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #5,319 of 22,511
  I had the same issues originally.

What fixed 90% of fit issues for me was getting a different sized headband (the ear pads shouldn't touch your ears in any way)

i have read that the earpads should form a very light seal...just barely touching the ears or side of the head....if i was to have my abyss not touch my ears at all it would literally be moving all over the place and i would be unable to use them....

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #5,320 of 22,511
The Abyss has proven to be a rock solid investment in sound. Especially complimentary to other flagships, rather than in competition.

I may be selling mine, which is a shame; their use has dropped drastically upon investing in a 2CH studio.

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #5,321 of 22,511
  i have read that the earpads should form a very light seal...just barely touching the ears or side of the head....if i was to have my abyss not touch my ears at all it would literally be moving all over the place and i would be unable to use them....

if the ear pads aren't touching your ears then you wouldn't have a seal and there would be a loss of bass as a consequence. my understanding is that you wear it with a light seal as you are doing.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #5,322 of 22,511
My Abyss doesn't touch my ears and forms a light seal. Best fit I've found for me. That also leaves space between the headband and the aluminum piece above that.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #5,323 of 22,511
Yeah so it lightly seals around the side of your head.

I was also confused after your other post - it sounded like the headphones were not touching your head at all.

jibrach I think once you get settled with the abyss, you either won't adjust it at all, or know exactly how to adjust it in a snap between genres to get the response just how you like it. It is worth it in the end.

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #5,324 of 22,511
Abyss is my "selfish" headphone...coz I won't let any other one try it on (and screw up my perfect fit at the moment :joy:)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back