The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #5,296 of 22,434
Is there any time that you SHOULDN'T connect the Abyss to the XLR line level outs of a dac/preamp etc?

I have never even considered trying it, but that's kinda what the Dave is right?  There is no headphone amplifier as such - just a convenience headphone output straight off the line level out of the DAC?

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #5,297 of 22,434
  Is there any time that you SHOULDN'T connect the Abyss to the XLR line level outs of a dac/preamp etc?

I have never even considered trying it, but that's kinda what the Dave is right?  There is no headphone amplifier as such - just a convenience headphone output straight off the line level out of the DAC?

The DAVE does a little extra to the headphone output (noise shaping and such), but yes in general it's supposed to be more transparent.

On the flip side the DAVE detects when a headphone is connected directly from the XLR or RCA outs, and doesn't work that way.

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #5,298 of 22,434

Having been a former M1 owner (and HUGE fan) I can attest that the honeymoon phase is long, if not unending.  It is an outstanding DAC.  Try connecting some headphones direct to the XLR outs.  

Good to hear. I must say, I wasn't expecting much after my previous experiences with other DACs compared to the DAVE, where I couldn't stomach them. I was actually forced to live without my DAVE for a few months while it was out on warranty repair, in fact, and that wasn't a good experience.

But with the Bricasti M1, I actually have been able to comfortably spent now quite a few days with it as my only DAC, with my DAVE sitting idly by.

What were your favourite filters on the M1?

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #5,299 of 22,434
The DAVE does a little extra to the headphone output (noise shaping and such), but yes in general it's supposed to be more transparent.

On the flip side the DAVE detects when a headphone is connected directly from the XLR or RCA outs, and doesn't work that way.

Nope, the DAVE's headphone out does not do any extra 'noise shaping and such' with the headphone out vs the RCA and XLR out. Not sure where you got that from.

Rob does not endorse hooking up headphones to the XLR out of the DAVE because there is low Current output and the impedance is very high (which I imagine is the case for many DACs).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/840#post_12124924

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/855#post_12127869

Categorically do not do this. The balanced drive has insufficient current drive and is intended to drive power amps only.

Dave can drive the HE1000 with ease - they are rated at 90 dB 1mW 33 ohms. Dave will give 1.4W into 33 ohms that translates to ear damaging 121 dB SPL with the HE1000.

Moreover distortion is virtually identical with a 33 ohm load - that is hundreds or thousands of times smaller than the best headphone amps. Unless you like the sound of distortion, and prefer reduced transparency, and no depth, don't use an external amp.

Rob
Driving with balanced XLRs - this would sound terrible with lots of distortion at reasonable volume levels. So if a listener prefers it that way, then fine, some like distortion. Don't buy a Dave if you like the sound of distortion.

Balanced headphone drive - I have already stated that this would degrade transparency, so I do not and will not do it for headphones.

Rob

And yes, the DAVE has relay's that determine when headphones are plugged in, which disables the RCA and XLR outputs.

The RCA output is connected to the headphone - but via different relays. When Dave sees the headphone socket being used, it goes into headphone mode - shuts down the RCA and XLR, and restores the original volume setting when headphones were used last. Also cross-feed is enabled. The headphone sockets we use are as good as the RCA.

Rob

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #5,300 of 22,434
  Good to hear. I must say, I wasn't expecting much after my previous experiences with other DACs compared to the DAVE, where I couldn't stomach them. I was actually forced to live without my DAVE for a few months while it was out on warranty repair, in fact, and that wasn't a good experience.

But with the Bricasti M1, I actually have been able to comfortably spent now quite a few days with it as my only DAC, with my DAVE sitting idly by.

What were your favourite filters on the M1?

Good question; it has been so long.  Truthfully, I found many had little impact and I quickly grew frustrated with them.  I kept thinking - make one good filter and forget the chaff!  I'm a big believer of forgetting the technology and just enjoying the music and love devices that don't stand in the way of that.  I believe Minimum 0 (or was it Linear 0)...?

What I think you may find is that the M1 is a very exciting DAC - it grabs you.  It has a lot of meat and grunt to the sound.  It is exciting.  Switching back to DAVE may almost seem dull at first by contrast, it doesn't have the same impact and edge.  The DAVE, at least for me, will still pull ahead with its effortless, natural, balanced presentation.  

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #5,301 of 22,434

Somewhat of a preview...

Mar 3, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #5,302 of 22,434
  My Utopia arrives on Monday. I have auditioned them against my Abyss on my setup before and enjoyed them.

I figured it would be a great compliment. An LCD-4 didn't make sense for me because I feel like my Abyss does what they do better.

The Utopia made sense so that I could have a more reference headphone and heck, it's very comfortable compared to the Abyss.
I'm not saying the Abyss isn't comfortable, it is easily more comfortable than many flagships, but the HD 800 and Utopia edge it out in comfort for me.
The HE-1000 in a way might be considered more comfortable for many, but for me they have a weird way of balancing the weight, and a weird clamp that I don't like compared to the hanging of the Abyss.

The Utopia will also stay on my head in bed, which I plan on doing a bit more once I get them. I do admit I am generally on my computer so the Abyss is fine, but they're not fun to try and keep up (that and the way I have to keep them up generally probably decreases sound quality at least slightly)

I've somewhat been considering a new amp/dac next, but I love my Moon Neo 430HAD -- I am at minimum keeping the amp portion. The DAC might be something to consider, though...

Wells Headtrip works great with the Abyss from all I've read. I plan on trying the Abyss eventually...

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #5,303 of 22,434
if you do indeed get the Dave you will most likely be able to use the Abyss straight out of the Dave although you might well prefer the Moon 430 with the Dave...I am curious as to which you would prefer?

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #5,304 of 22,434
  if you do indeed get the Dave you will most likely be able to use the Abyss straight out of the Dave although you might well prefer the Moon 430 with the Dave...I am curious as to which you would prefer?

This is the main reason I am thinking about keeping my Moon for a bit longer while I await a DAVE.

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #5,305 of 22,434
Dave to the Moon to the Abyss will probably be your choice, if you like the tone of the Moon the Dave is not the same at all.

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #5,306 of 22,434
the dave alone is far more transparent,I have not heard the abyss so i do not know how efficient it is or whether it might or might not require an external amp

Mar 9, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #5,307 of 22,434
I think this talk about Dave being so transparent is overrated. It may be very slightly more transparent alone but it is no where much more transparent in a good setup. At least not for my setup. I struggle to hear much difference in transparency and actually enjoy a fuller sound with wider soundstage and better 3D effect through my external amp. Yes, I really enjoy my music this way. My Abyss has never sounded this good with my external amp. I also had the opportunity to listen to the Hifiman Shangri-la headphone setup with the Dave. Obviously, one needs an external amp to listen to the Shangri-la as it is an electrostatic headphone. If you think the Dave alone is fantastic, you must listen to the Shangri-la in a proper setup.

Please understand that I am not trying to discredit the Dave. It is a fine sounding DAC and headphone amp. And if you feel that the Dave alone is sufficient for your enjoyment, good for you. But I would never say that the Dave alone is the best sounding setup, imo.

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #5,308 of 22,434
  I think this talk about Dave being so transparent is overkill. It may be very slightly more transparent alone but it is no where much more transparent in a good setup. At least not for my setup. I struggle to hear much difference in transparency and actually enjoy a fuller sound with wider soundstage and better 3D effect through my external amp. Yes, I really enjoy my music this way. My Abyss has never sounded this good with my external amp. I also had the opportunity to listen to the Hifiman Shangri-la headphone setup with the Dave. Obviously, one needs an external amp to listen to the Shangri-la as it is an electrostatic headphone. If you think the Dave alone is fantastic, you must listen to the Shangri-la in a proper setup.

Please understand that I am not trying to discredit the Dave. It is a fine sounding DAC and headphone amp. And if you feel that the Dave alone is sufficient for your enjoyment, good for you. But I would never say that the Dave alone is the best sounding setup, imo.

there are very few circumstances where the Dave alone will not be better....perhaps in some cases with the LCD-4's because they are so power hungry but in most cases the Dave will easily drive most HP's and that is the way the Chord people recommend...that said,with an an external amp the sound is changed and if you like that sound more then by all means use the external amp.....

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #5,309 of 22,434
Does anyone near New Orleans own a pair of Abyss AB-1266 headphones?  I would like to try them out before I make a purchase.  Anyone interested could get a listen with my Cavalli Liquid Gold and Magnan Cables.  Thanks in advance for replies.

Kevin

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #5,310 of 22,434
  that said,with an an external amp the sound is changed and if you like that sound more then by all means use the external amp.....

Yes. Adding an amp may change the sound, but so will a headphone and the headphone cable. At this level, almost every component will change the sound. The question is whether the change is for the better or worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back