The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Feb 25, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #5,282 of 22,511
Fair enough, what I was trying to say is try a speaker setup because it is very different experience to headphones

I've tried high end setups and don't feel they're worth shelling out hundreds of thousands for.

Sure, a great speaker setup can cost the price of my headphone setup, but that doesn't include room acoustics or anything of that matter. Not to mention, being 20 I don't expect to have a home for 1-2 decades.

Feb 25, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #5,283 of 22,511
I've tried high end setups and don't feel they're worth shelling out hundreds of thousands for.

Sure, a great speaker setup can cost the price of my headphone setup, but that doesn't include room acoustics or anything of that matter. Not to mention, being 20 I don't expect to have a home for 1-2 decades.

I understand your dilemma but when you do get a place buy a speaker setup, all you will need is speakers and amp.Can be a mind blowing experience even without any room treatment.

I know headphones are easy to pay money for and use as you don't have to worry about the room but spending a fraction of what some these headphones cost for speakers can get you some of the most detailed and totally correct sound.

Feb 25, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #5,284 of 22,511
I understand your dilemma but when you do get a place buy a speaker setup, all you will need is speakers and amp.Can be a mind blowing experience even without any room treatment.

I know headphones are easy to pay money for and use as you don't have to worry about the room but spending a fraction of what some these headphones cost for speakers can get you some of the most detailed and totally correct sound.

I appreciate your concern, but both headphones and speakers have their ups and downs.

Anyways, this is the Abyss thread, back on topic we go.

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #5,285 of 22,511
@ cladane, I would suggest trying a different interconnect with Abyss. FEP/PTFE type dielectrics and anything silver can be hard sounding, particularly in line level interconnect, and have a harsh component to them that would certainly stand out with string instruments, piano, or horns.

Suggest copper conductors with polyethylene or polypropylene dielectrics, or try at least our own JPS Superconductor V.

When we used your amplifier with the AB-1266 we tried our various cables. The amplifier was VERY reactive to the AC cables. We could make it sound thin in bass and bright, or bloated bass, all with the change of the AC cable. Absolute best mate from our various AC cable models was JPS Labs Aluminata AC with Aluminata interconnects from the DAC. This with the AB-1266. Other headphones may appreciate different cables.

​Hello,

AC cable : ESPRIT ETERNA and interconnect cable: ATOHM RCA

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Feb 26, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #5,286 of 22,511
@ cladane, I would suggest trying a different interconnect with Abyss. FEP/PTFE type dielectrics and anything silver can be hard sounding, particularly in line level interconnect, and have a harsh component to them that would certainly stand out with string instruments, piano, or horns.

Suggest copper conductors with polyethylene or polypropylene dielectrics, or try at least our own JPS Superconductor V.

When we used your amplifier with the AB-1266 we tried our various cables. The amplifier was VERY reactive to the AC cables. We could make it sound thin in bass and bright, or bloated bass, all with the change of the AC cable. Absolute best mate from our various AC cable models was JPS Labs Aluminata AC with Aluminata interconnects from the DAC. This with the AB-1266. Other headphones may appreciate different cables.

Hello Joe,

Thank you for your concern and advices.

I will contact the French importer about those cables since I'm looking at enhancing my experience with the Abyss.

I have ordered also the VIVA 2A3 with the KR Audio HP tubes from CableCo.

Claude

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #5,287 of 22,511
  I disliked the new Doom in comparison to Quake.

I played a lot of Quake 1, 4, and live, BUT I played 2 and 3 religiously. Easily thousands more hours than the others. (mainly 3)

Same here; Q2 and Q3 by far. Rocket arena especially. Very fond memories of those days.

Regarding speakers - have a look at the Kii Three's. Making some serious waves in the pro audio world, and only £9K. Cardioid bass above 50Hz, ridiculously flat measurements, active wave tech that makes them only second to the Beolabs ($90K) in terms of room efficiency. Active too, custom hypex/ncore amps. In fact it's the designer behind those revolutionary amps that designed these speakers. I have a set coming next week for audition.

Check the sound on sound review out. 

http://kiiaudio.com/en/press.html

Back OT - the Abyss are indeed great fun for gaming.

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #5,288 of 22,511
Just got my Focal Utopia.
Going to be a long night of listening...

It's a great headphone, that's for sure.

Took some shots of it with my Abyss and Moon Neo 430.

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #5,289 of 22,511

I think this is incorrect. The room is at least half the equation. Right speakers, wrong room; is often worse than the opposite. Also speakers seem to be really hard to move. I know for sure my speaker buddies would love to have the ability to move gear that I do.

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #5,291 of 22,511
I think this is incorrect. The room is at least half the equation. Right speakers, wrong room; is often worse than the opposite. Also speakers seem to be really hard to move. I know for sure my speaker buddies would love to have the ability to move gear that I do.

You have some serious gear dude. How does the M1 compare to the Dave?

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #5,292 of 22,511

Doubt he even listens with the M1 nowadays..eh, @jelt2359 ? 
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #5,293 of 22,511

I just got the M1, a bit of 'new toy syndrome' with it now, but it's definitely a good dac. Vivid, rich, flashes of colour. Also no treble shoutiness, which is very impressive for a DS dac. Been playing with the different filters and haven't quite decided my favourite either. But for me to not think 'this is unlistenable' is already a huge achievement since I'm such a fan of the Dave. :p

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #5,294 of 22,511
  I just got the M1, a bit of 'new toy syndrome' with it now, but it's definitely a good dac. Vivid, rich, flashes of colour. Also no treble shoutiness, which is very impressive for a DS dac. Been playing with the different filters and haven't quite decided my favourite either. But for me to not think 'this is unlistenable' is already a huge achievement since I'm such a fan of the Dave. :p

Having been a former M1 owner (and HUGE fan) I can attest that the honeymoon phase is long, if not unending.  It is an outstanding DAC.  Try connecting some headphones direct to the XLR outs.  

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #5,295 of 22,511

Having been a former M1 owner (and HUGE fan) I can attest that the honeymoon phase is long, if not unending.  It is an outstanding DAC.  Try connecting some headphones direct to the XLR outs.  

Do you know what's the Output Impedance on the XLR? Edit: OK, I see 40ohms. Not too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back