The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #4,741 of 22,434
  @ufospls2 , I would consider a Metrum pavane. A few people who can't use the ygg are using it and some are saying it is better in some regards. I would also consider an AGD m7, but I would only consider it if you have concerns your amp is lean/bright sounding as it is a warmer sounding DAC.
You could also do what I've done and get an sfd-1 mkii or sfd-2. I've heard a lot of 20k+ dacs and I don't think i'm missing out on much :wink:

These are products that much more popular outside of this forum.
Synergy is the most important factor and you need to build around the Abyss.

Out of all the reading I've done today, the Metrum Pavane is definitely one of the ones I would consider. Funnily enough, the only Canadian dealer that carries Metrum is only a 4-5 hour drive away. I think the Pavane might be too much in Canadian dollars budget wise, I'm not sure yet. If it is too much I will take a look at the Metrum Menuet. There are a few other options I've been reading about that look really interesting as well. Thanks for the recommendations :)

Sep 6, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #4,742 of 22,434
Hi all,

I've figured out what route I'm going to go for a new amp, which means I've started doing more research on DACS. I figured some of you here have a lot more experience than me. Here are some of the names I've come up with so far. 

-Mytek Brooklyn DAC
-Chord Hugo TT
-Chord 2Qute
-Eastern Electric DAC Supreme edition
-Linemann Music Book 10
-Aqua La Voce
-Luxman DA200

Do you guys have any suggestions of DACS that are less heard of around here (not the Schiit dacs and whatnot) I'd like to keep the price below $5000 canadian, so no DAVE, Lampizator, TOTALDAC, Nagra HD DAC etc..I know my price limit doesn't allow for a lot of things, but I hope its not too limiting, and I can get something decent. I'll be buying my amp first, so I have tons of time to research and think about my DAC choice, but any help would be appreciated from the knowledgable folks around here. Thanks guys!

Since you are in Canada, have you considered the Bryston DAC? It's in its third iteration and now uses the AKM chip. I believe Computer Audiophile just did a review of the Bryston BDA-3.

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #4,743 of 22,434
Since you are in Canada, have you considered the Bryston DAC? It's in its third iteration and now uses the AKM chip. I believe Computer Audiophile just did a review of the Bryston BDA-3.

You can do way better for the price of the Bryston, at least in my opinion.

Hell, you can do way better for less than 1/10th the price ... unless you have some perverse need/love of HDMI inputs.

Sep 8, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #4,746 of 22,434
Anyone here drives an Abyss directly from a DAVE? your impressions please...

Sep 8, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #4,747 of 22,434
Anyone here drives an Abyss directly from a DAVE? your impressions please...

Yes i do, and it can drive the Abyss to very high levels without any effort from DAVE, because it got a great current A drive and the lovest resistance in the output, and It got twice the power of a TT for example.

The SQ is as transparent as it could be from any DAC i have heard. The timing , placing , dynamic impact , resolution and nyances are immense. The bass is as perfect and accurate as it could be.

PM me for more info:

Worlds best ( most transparent)
DAC / Pre / Headphone amp.

Please read the DAVE impressions thread for more in depth info of the SQ.

I got two DAVEś so i got one up for sale if someone is interested.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/814565/brand-new-black-chord-dave-latest-batch-3

Sep 8, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #4,748 of 22,434
  Is the GSX-MK2 enough to get the best out of the Abyss?

Well no. Not the best. The gsx-mk ii is thin and etched sounding. If you want a real KG amp do some research on the dynalo/dynamid etc..
The original design by KG was altered by Justin to make the gsx-mkii and well the end result is not great. However I have never seen any of our abyss owners build a KG dynamic amplifier for the Abyss.

As mulder kindly pointed out the best amp comes down to preference.

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #4,750 of 22,434
  @bigfatpaulie, you had a dynahi with abyss didn't you? Not sure if I'm buying into the KG hype. What are your thoughts?

Yes: I had a SuSy Dynahi.

That was a really, really exceptional amp.  Honestly, in some way better than my Pass Int-30a which I also had at the time.  To me, you can't compare the GSX MK2 and this amp...  It's like contrasting a Bottlehead Crack and DNA Stratus.  Both are great amps but one is unequivocally superior (to me).  It's a faster sounding, harder hitting, more detailed, better texted amp with a wider and deeper sound stage.

I'm not saying the GSX is bad - and others may prefer it. The GSX, after all, is sill a top flight amp.  I just feel that this PARTICULAR Dyanhi was much better than the GSX.  Not all are Dynahi's created the same as builders and part quality varies a great deal. 

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #4,751 of 22,434
  Hi all,

I've figured out what route I'm going to go for a new amp, which means I've started doing more research on DACS. I figured some of you here have a lot more experience than me. Here are some of the names I've come up with so far. 

-Mytek Brooklyn DAC
-Chord Hugo TT
-Chord 2Qute
-Eastern Electric DAC Supreme edition
-Linemann Music Book 10
-Aqua La Voce
-Luxman DA200

Do you guys have any suggestions of DACS that are less heard of around here (not the Schiit dacs and whatnot) I'd like to keep the price below $5000 canadian, so no DAVE, Lampizator, TOTALDAC, Nagra HD DAC etc..I know my price limit doesn't allow for a lot of things, but I hope its not too limiting, and I can get something decent. I'll be buying my amp first, so I have tons of time to research and think about my DAC choice, but any help would be appreciated from the knowledgable folks around here. Thanks guys!

You really need to check out the Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC. It is the only DAC in the world that can do DSD native on an r2r ladder platform. It can do up to PCM & DSD 512 native and it sounds tremendous. 

I got this DAC (level 3 version) a month ago and it has blown me away... I just put the AH platinum fuse in it and its even better still -- check my review on it. I am coming from a Mytek stereo 192 DAC and that thing is not even in the same league. 

Oh by the way it costs like $2250 USD

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #4,752 of 22,434
You really need to check out the Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC. It is the only DAC in the world that can do DSD native on an r2r ladder platform. It can do up to PCM & DSD 512 native and it sounds tremendous. There is a 6moons review comparing it to the Chord DAVE and it is rated higher. 

I got this DAC (level 3 version) a month ago and it has blown me away... I just put the AH platinum fuse in it and its even better still -- check my review on it. I am coming from a Mytek stereo 192 DAC and that thing is not even in the same league. 

This review Holo vs DAVE does not exist on 6moon.

Do you got a link to the 6moon review, because i cant find any review of Holo Audio at all in the 6Moon archive at all, and neither have they tested Chord DAVE yet from what i can see?

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #4,753 of 22,434
  You really need to check out the Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC. It is the only DAC in the world that can do DSD native on an r2r ladder platform. It can do up to PCM & DSD 512 native and it sounds tremendous. There is a 6moons review comparing it to the Chord DAVE and it is rated higher. 

Really interesting looking piece of gear. Thanks for the tip, I had never heard of it before. Couldn't find the 6moons review of it. 

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #4,755 of 22,434
Yeah it was my mistake. It was actually a guy who posted about it on computeraudiophile.com who is writing the review right now. He gave initial impressions about the Spring but the full review is soon to come. 

Here is a link to that thread: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/holo-audio-spring-digital-analogue-converter-r2r-dsd512-29319/

That is a huge difference if a guy on computer audiophile wish to rate his Holo higher than the DAVE. :joy::joy::smile:

Please edit your post :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back