The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jul 7, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #4,413 of 22,494
Jul 7, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #4,414 of 22,494
Here's Arcam's pure Class-A headphone amp the rHead, driving the mighty Abyss with ease! this is an amazing combo. Arcam's CDS27 CD/SACD/Streamer is the source. Thanks to Hi-Fi Lounge - http://hifilounge.co.uk for the photo.

Driving with ease, it is a little overstatment, because i sell Arcam incl rHead , but it is a nice amp, but the Cavalli Liquid Carbon drive the abyss better if we are speaking of small amps for example.

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #4,415 of 22,494
Welcome to the official JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Appreciation & Impressions Thread! In here you will find all things Abyss. Feel free to post your own impressions of the Abyss as well as discuss anything you like (as long as it is at least slightly related to the Abyss). To begin with, my very own impressions of the Abyss after the first few times I heard them...
  [Mod Edit: Shortened quoted post.]

It weighs 620 gms. OMG.

Jul 7, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #4,418 of 22,494
Hey DK, can I ask what do you think it is that made your initial impressions of the Abyss not so great.  Regularly we see people say that they tried the abyss at a show or meet or whatever and it's good but it's just good and not the headphone for them.  You had kind of the same thoughts after your initial audition and thought that you preferred the LCD-4, but now that you have them both at home at the same time off the same gear your preference did a complete 180, to the point where you were willing to sell the LCD-4 basically immediately.  What do you think it was that gave you a so-so first impression?  A noisy environment?  Bad fit?  Lack of references on-hand?  Too much time between comparisons?  Unfamiliar music choice?  Anything in particular that you think got you and the Abyss off on the wrong foot?  Just curious as every now and again, someone comes along and says that they heard the AB and it wasn't great, and I have a bit of trouble understanding why.  Especially now that I've seen your turn around, I wonder if you have a theory as to why...

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #4,419 of 22,494
I honestly think it could have been the fit. When these are fitted a certain way it sounds fairly similar (still slightly more preferred than the LCD signature for me) whereas with my current fit I can't justify even taking the LCD-4 back out. I keep giving it a shot and taking it out daily, giving it some songs to compare with A and B (even blind, it's obvious which is which) but I get disappointed and pack it back up.

Even now as an owner (I realize of only a few days, but Jesus this is finicky) I still don't feel like I have a perfect fit. I feel like my fit is an 8/10 or so when it should be a 10/10 of course.

I can say to the sides of my head the LCD is more comfortable, but to my neck the Abyss is more comfortable.

------------

On a side note, do you guys know of any purple colored cables I could replace the stock with? I want to make the Abyss a bit more of my own.

Jul 7, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #4,420 of 22,494

But this is what I do now:

It works extremely well for me.  I would like to get a short Abyss band, but since doing this I don't see a real need anymore, to be honest.

I hope this helps!

Mods like these are the best. i tried the twist method and all the others as well. Doing the above with wire straps / velcro and getting that curve in the headband as well as the ability to incrementally dial in the exact height required, just works. Turned the abyss from uncomfortable to not even being and issue for me.

Jul 8, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #4,421 of 22,494
I am hoping the shorter head band I get corrects the issue for the most part.

Jul 8, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #4,422 of 22,494
The problem with shorter or tighter band is it creates a hotspot on the head

Jul 8, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #4,423 of 22,494
The problem with shorter or tighter band is it creates a hotspot on the head

Not if your head is extremely narrow like mine.

Jul 8, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #4,424 of 22,494
@draytonklammer The shorter headband sorted all my fit issues with the Abyss. Now i just need to find an amazing quad 2a3 to go with my new amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back