The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 20, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #3,346 of 22,525
But this was their best cable until now for the Abyss, so i don't buy it that the cable was a budget free of charge cable, that is real bull , and i have heard other 3000$ cables and it is not a huge step forward, more neutral and analytical which i do not like.

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #3,349 of 22,525
A lot... 1.80cm jack terminated

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #3,357 of 22,525
$3899 aud for 1.8m cable.

http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/jps-labs-the-superconductor-hp-for-abyss-ab-1266-18m

So the cable cost almost like a demo Abyss headphones , and more than the HE-1K then :wink: , it can not follow any common sense, or can it:wink:?

It is the phones that produce about 50% of the sound, and second to that is the amp and then the source / track quality. The cabling is just for fine tuning like tube rolling, and can not do the same difference as the rest.

So this cable must be remarkably good then Nic, or what is your first impressions vs stock?

Whats the price on the 4 Spore cable for example ?

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #3,358 of 22,525
I think the replacement cost of the stock cable is around the $1000 mark, so they're not exactly supplied with cheap cables.

Is the cable upgrade for everyone? Nup. Should you be annoyed that they have been made available to people that want them? Nup.

Pretty sure the reason these superconductor cables exist is for people that have the best of the best equipment and cables already in the rest of their system, and are looking for a way to squeeze that extra bit of performance out of their system. I suppose it does make sense, if you're a cable company selling 4 figure cables to offer one of those cables with headphone connectors on the end if people want them. Probably not the most cost effective upgrade for someone with an entry level system, but for the guys with WA234's and viva egoista's etc, I don't think it's rude to offer a potential upgrade if they're happy to spend the money. Of course it's a big outlay, but at the summit-fi level that's expected so there should be no surprises there.

Beolab, in Aus, a 1.8m DHC Spore 4 delivered is about $2750ish, so yeah these are about $1k more retail. Not sure what price you could get them for from a2a if you asked nicely though - I don't think a 10% discount off retail would be out of the question. Is the sound and cost porportionally better than the Spore4? No idea.

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #3,359 of 22,525
I think the replacement cost of the stock cable is around the $1000 mark, so they're not exactly supplied with cheap cables.

Is the cable upgrade for everyone? Nup. Should you be annoyed that they have been made available to people that want them? Nup.

Pretty sure the reason these superconductor cables exist is for people that have the best of the best equipment and cables already in the rest of their system, and are looking for a way to squeeze that extra bit of performance out of their system. I suppose it does make sense, if you're a cable company selling 4 figure cables to offer one of those cables with headphone connectors on the end if people want them. Probably not the most cost effective upgrade for someone with an entry level system, but for the guys with WA234's and viva egoista's etc, I don't think it's rude to offer a potential upgrade if they're happy to spend the money. Of course it's a big outlay, but at the summit-fi level that's expected so there should be no surprises there.

Beolab, in Aus, a 1.8m DHC Spore 4 delivered is about $2750ish, so yeah these are about $1k more retail. Not sure what price you could get them for from a2a if you asked nicely though - I don't think a 10% discount off retail would be out of the question. Is the sound and cost porportionally better than the Spore4? No idea.

Yes i am aware of this "syndrome" very well:wink: , but still my point is if you take a MBL 101 Reference $800k speaker , and then produce a $900k cable for it, then i think 99.999999999999 of all high end billionares hade thaught this was not in the porportion to the rest of the system.

Joe wrights that it should compared to the stock cable (which are very good) , it will give larger soundstage, greater clarity to source without brightness, room boundries open up, amazingly musical detail.

I hope Nicś impressions are clearly likewise!:wink:

Cant wait to hear what he's final statement of the the sonic difference will be..

I have placed an order on the new $13.500 incl VAT: Chord Electronics DAVE DAC / (headphone amp) and i hope it can direct drive the Abyss according to some sources i have. Then if it all love btw Abyss and Dave, then i maybe consider the Superconductor , but it depending on what sonic benefits it can bring! It should not just be subtle:wink:

PS
Thanks for the price on the Spore 4 !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back