The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 29, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #1,081 of 22,431
A head-fier friend that's tried on the Abyss told me he found them uncomfortable to wear, I'll never find that out because I'm not brave enough to put them on my head.

He also told me how they sounded, but I'll leave it to him to post his thoughts assuming he'd want to.

Yes I am the guy who tried the Abyss, not at home but at a high end UK dealer who really focusses on the headphone market. 

I use Stax SR009s with a Cavalli amp at home, and the SR009s were there at the dealership too (not with the Cavalli or Woo or BHSE however) along with just about all leading brands.

For a potential price of £4,250 I was unimpressed. The headphones are really ugly, and although I could live with that I would prefer more elegance. I found the fit awkward and the weight noticeable. But my major reservation is that I found the sound did not astound me, which it should for that price. 

Of course this is all qualified by the fact that I was not sitting in my own chair and not using music and source and amplification of my choice. But then that applied to the other phones I tried too. I just felt that it did not stand out from the £500 or £1,000 alternatives I listened to and - for me - it ain't an SR009 and certainly not an SR009 beater, in my view.

Of course, others will favour its attributes and perhaps put them ahead of anything else in the market - which is a good thing for the industry and its diversity.

Jun 29, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #1,082 of 22,431
I'm sure they sound great but i doubt that they are worth 4 times the price of HD800.

no offence but i find these kind of statements meaningless. especially when you're talking about high-end gear where price/performance isn't really a consideration.

Jun 29, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #1,083 of 22,431
I was very keen to hear the AB-1266. I managed it at the Munich High End Show a couple of weeks ago.
It looks ugly, yes. It is heavy, yes. It is ridiculous expensive, yes. I could live with that ...
The SQ impressed me (Malvalve, source unknown) but it was not possible to achieve an appropriate fit and/or seal (within 1 hour and getting advice from the exhibitor). Therefore, I will definitely NOT buy one ! To me, it is a prototype, assembled in a lab (too fast).
... Just my 2 cents.

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #1,085 of 22,431
well that's a matter of opinion. having heard both i know which can i preferred. but i won't be buying the abyss any time soon.

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #1,086 of 22,431
I head these at the tokyo festival this spring for 15 minutes in a relatively quiet room. $5k Auorasound Japan headphone amp.

I think the Abyss name and type font are off the mark. The headphones also look silly. And they are heavy.

But after a minute of adjustments got an excellent fit and the odd design is practical as it makes the weight virtually imperceptible. Very comfortable.

I like the 009, LCDs, HD800, etc. although they all have some challenges. I honestly felt the Abyss was as close to proper music reproduction as I have experienced from a headphone. The sound is well balanced and while bass goes low it is neither bloated nor exaggerated. Frequencies were very well balanced and I was pleased with the mid and highs also. It was like a very good home system with a well integrated sub.

The Abyss is expensive but does the best job of reproducing sound that I have heard from a headphone. I also found it enjoyable to listen to.

Audio reproduction is about comprimises so nothing is perfect. But the Abyss is worth a listen if one is looking for quality reproduction and is willing to meet the asking price.

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #1,087 of 22,431
I head these at the tokyo festival this spring for 15 minutes in a relatively quiet room. $5k Auorasound Japan headphone amp.

I think the Abyss name and type font are off the mark. The headphones also look silly. And they are heavy.

But after a minute of adjustments got an excellent fit and the odd design is practical as it makes the weight virtually imperceptible. Very comfortable.

I like the 009, LCDs, HD800, etc. although they all have some challenges. I honestly felt the Abyss was as close to proper music reproduction as I have experienced from a headphone. The sound is well balanced and while bass goes low it is neither bloated nor exaggerated. Frequencies were very well balanced and I was pleased with the mid and highs also. It was like a very good home system with a well integrated sub.

The Abyss is expensive but does the best job of reproducing sound that I have heard from a headphone. I also found it enjoyable to listen to.

Audio reproduction is about comprimises so nothing is perfect. But the Abyss is worth a listen if one is looking for quality reproduction and is willing to meet the asking price.

Thanks for your views, Skooter. I agree: it is quite something else. I have one and it is probably something which I will enjoy for a long time to come. :)

Jun 30, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #1,089 of 22,431

I am agree with your impression
Abyss 1266 SQ like home speakers
If you have a chance please try abyss with :
Mass Ko Bo.394
You will love more like me :D

Jun 30, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #1,090 of 22,431
I was very keen to hear the AB-1266. I managed it at the Munich High End Show a couple of weeks ago.
It looks ugly, yes. It is heavy, yes. It is ridiculous expensive, yes. I could live with that ...
The SQ impressed me (Malvalve, source unknown) but it was not possible to achieve an appropriate fit and/or seal (within 1 hour and getting advice from the exhibitor). Therefore, I will definitely NOT buy one ! To me, it is a prototype, assembled in a lab (too fast).
... Just my 2 cents.

I remember you at the end of High Munich.
First you have tested the headphones on the Audeze stand.
Secondly I was not an exponent but an individual who wanted to test the amp Malvalve, people have recognized the headphones and my request one test, I'm surprised you have not noticed that.
Finally it is not necessair to have a perfect seal with the Abyss.

Jul 1, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #1,091 of 22,431
  I remember you at the end of High Munich.
First you have tested the headphones on the Audeze stand.
Secondly I was not an exponent but an individual who wanted to test the amp Malvalve, people have recognized the headphones and my request one test, I'm surprised you have not noticed

What does it change anyway ?

Jul 1, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #1,094 of 22,431
  Is that really the price in the UK?  That equates to US$7270  Or does that include the price of the amp you were listening to?

Well that is the price at two dealers I know of, without any amp.

I guess they are looking to amortise their development cost based on what must be a limited sales potential - so it would not surprise me if $1,000 of the cost covers that. Remember in the UK there will be $1200 in value added tax and I guess there are both distributor and dealer mark ups so they might be around $3000, maybe more, so ex-factory it needs to be priced at $3000.

Jul 1, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #1,095 of 22,431
What does it change anyway ?

Most noticable change is bass response in my opinion, the lighter the seal the more bass quantity and weight there is, but not as punchy compared to a tighter seal.
It also effects staging slightly, tighter seal, more air around instruments and better imaging. Not too good at explaining the smaller points but there is a very noticeable difference, which is a nice easy tweak that you can do depending on what your listening to.
Though it's worth mentioning I vary the seal by adjusting the pivot, not swiveling the pads.
Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back