The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 28, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #1,051 of 22,483
A head-fier friend that's tried on the Abyss told me he found them uncomfortable to wear, I'll never find that out because I'm not brave enough to put them on my head.

He also told me how they sounded, but I'll leave it to him to post his thoughts assuming he'd want to.

Jun 28, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #1,052 of 22,483
A head-fier friend that's tried on the Abyss told me he found them uncomfortable to wear, I'll never find that out because I'm not brave enough to put them on my head.

He also told me how they sounded, but I'll leave it to him to post his thoughts assuming he'd want to.

Really, uncomfortable how? I mean they're not as comfortable as the HD800, but I can wear them indefinitely without discomfort. More comfortable than both the PS1000, T1 and SRH940 even with glasses.
They are heavy though which might be it, though the weight isn't as noticeable as with audeze phones. Just gotta do more shrugs at the gym :)

Jun 28, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #1,053 of 22,483
Tyll's review on Inner Fidelity says he had to spend quite sometime working with the adjustments. Once he got the adjustments, right, he said the AB-1266 were comfortable enough to wear for extended periods. Looks like these HPs are not like your traditional HPs where the ear pieces rest on top of your ears. They are supposed to surround your ears without resting on top of you ears and hence the time needed for initial setup. Imagine putting a weight almost double that of LCD-3 on your ear!!

I am expecting to get these for 2 weeks as a loaner in Aug or October. Super excited!

Jun 28, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #1,054 of 22,483
been a while since i tried it but it was surprisingly comfortable for such a heavy can and it sounded awesome. the earpads surrounded my ears and the idea is to have a light seal.

Jun 28, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #1,055 of 22,483
Really, uncomfortable how? I mean they're not as comfortable as the HD800, but I can wear them indefinitely without discomfort. More comfortable than both the PS1000, T1 and SRH940 even with glasses.
They are heavy though which might be it, though the weight isn't as noticeable as with audeze phones. Just gotta do more shrugs at the gym
smily_headphones1.gif

My head-fier friend did say one of the reasons he found the Abyss uncomfortable was their weight, but he also said he couldn't get them to fit properly.
I have the LCD-XC's so weight wouldn't be a problem regarding me wearing the Abyss, I just won't put them on my head because IMO they're so darn UGLY.

Jun 28, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #1,057 of 22,483

I and my friends who own Abyss don't have any problem to wear thus Abyss 1266 for long listening time

The design make the weight distribution to our head excellent , the pressure is less than my Audeze headphones .

Abyss is revealing headphone , abyss need very good source and amps
Once you get the synergy , the round quality is excellent compare to another headphones .

What kind of source and amps has your friend ?

Jun 28, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #1,059 of 22,483

If you like the look of them then that's your choice, but please try wearing them while walking through a city so everyone can see them, then count how many laughs you get.

biggrin.gif

Especially as they're, IMHO, way worse-looking in the metal... 

How can one sell a pair of cans for 6K$ and mess up with something as simple as the look fit and finish though, is beyond me.

Jun 28, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #1,060 of 22,483
My head-fier friend did say one of the reasons he found the Abyss uncomfortable was their weight, but he also said he couldn't get them to fit properly.
I have the LCD-XC's so weight wouldn't be a problem regarding me wearing the Abyss, I just won't put them on my head because IMO they're so darn UGLY.

Hahaha they're not the prettiest cans, but at least once you've got them on you can't see them! Well unless you have a mirror by your head-fi station :p

Jun 28, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #1,061 of 22,483
I and my friends who own Abyss don't have any problem to wear thus Abyss 1266 for long listening time

The design make the weight distribution to our head excellent , the pressure is less than my Audeze headphones .

Abyss is revealing headphone , abyss need very good source and amps
Once you get the synergy , the round quality is excellent compare to another headphones .

What kind of source and amps has your friend ?

My friend doesn't own a pair of Abyss, he tried them at a headphone place.
He doesn't know what source was being used, but the amp was a Bryston.

Jun 28, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #1,062 of 22,483
Come on, Home Headphones are not fashion accessories. These are not HPs you use for mobile use. These are for stationary use. They may be ugly. But if they do the job: details almost as good Stax 009, imaging as good as HD800 and LCD-3's bass and fun listening, who gives a damn if it is UGLY.

This is Head-Fi, it's all about the sound. Do your ears like what they hear?

By the way, there is 1-2 month wait on these "ugly" HPs.

Jun 28, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #1,063 of 22,483
Just got mine from Woo Audio, Jack seems still have some left in stock. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back