The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 23, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #13,576 of 22,434
On a side note, the TC Phi goes really well with the Milo Reference. I think I am leaning to the Milo over the WA33 with the TC Phi. However, I can't say the same for the Susvara, which I still prefer with the WA33.

Can you elaborate further why you prefer Milo Reference over WA33 with TC?
Thanks.

Jan 23, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #13,577 of 22,434
Can you elaborate further why you prefer Milo Reference over WA33 with TC?
Thanks.

With the Milo Reference, I'm getting more low end slam and at the same time the bass seems faster. The bass sounds like it is reaching even lower than before. Compared to the tube amp, the mids sound like it has really tightened up and there is also more space between elements of music. I was worried the highs would be harsh but that isn't the case, thankfully. Seems like I quite like the SS flavour this amp gives to the TC. Perhaps it is synergy or just playing to the TC strengths. Or, maybe its just feeding the TC a crap load of power.

With the Susvara, the Milo sounds generally thinner than the wa33. Also, the highs are bordering on harsh for me. I rather keep the susvara with the wa33.

Jan 23, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #13,578 of 22,434
Hey man thanks so much for chiming in! Looks like I'm going to have to try and look for a Phi to try out! Odd, that I've never ever seen one in the wild, not even in the local abyss dealership. Will msg their guy and see if they have one in the store somewhere. I have an iBasso dx220 with amp 8 so I guess I won't totally rule out a portable setup. Also, thanks for the headband links!
I believe the Phi is harder to drive than the V2. This may be one thing to consider if you're thinking of driving it with a DAP.

Jan 23, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #13,579 of 22,434
Joe, you could nip the talk in various forums in the bud if you provide a lifetime warranty on the drivers. Rosson Audio does this as well, for example. I think in such a price segment this should be normal. Personally, I am now also a little afraid that a driver may go after the 3 year warranty and I have to pay thousands of dollars. What do you think about my point of view?
No response?

Jan 23, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #13,580 of 22,434
I can concur the TT2 balanced can drive the TC, with more powerful bass compared to SE. There is just the slightest improvement of upper mids when using the SE. My usual volume is -20 via XLR3 which is closely volume matched to -26 via SE.

I've tried the stock cable, Norne silvergarde S3-C, and Forza noir hybrid. Just bought a superconductor HP cable with some moon audio XLR3 adapters for the rear TT2 -- waiting for them to come in. Will report back.
You must be listening pretty quietly?
I'm using XLR too and I use -10 to +4 volume range. It depends on how much dynamic range compression has been used in the tracks.
I do find the sound to be slightly on the weak side for me. I have to try speaker amps later and see if they offer more.

Jan 23, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #13,583 of 22,434
Then what is the cost to replace the drivers Joe? And why Rosson, ZMF can make it for lifetime and you not?
Maybe the drivers are not that durable as other manufacturers are?

Without a lifetime warranty, there may not be reason for a company to keep spares as replacements. Does Abyss guarantee any period of time they will repair/replace drivers, even at a cost to the owner? Or will older models not be repairable by the factory at some point?

If there is a policy statement that someone can point me to, that would be great.

Jan 23, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #13,585 of 22,434
Then what is the cost to replace the drivers Joe? And why Rosson, ZMF can make it for lifetime and you not?
Maybe the drivers are not that durable as other manufacturers are?
That isn't quite fair. Your namewhoeverthefrack brand doesn't offer lifetime warranties.
Now Rosson has foundation with Audez'e, and Audez'e has a proven record with driver failures, so of course Alex is going to offer a lifetime warranty to leverage some sales.

Still the HD800 is the most impressive driver ever in terms of reliability. It's astonishing.

Jan 23, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #13,586 of 22,434
Without a lifetime warranty, there may not be reason for a company to keep spares as replacements. Does Abyss guarantee any period of time they will repair/replace drivers, even at a cost to the owner? Or will older models not be repairable by the factory at some point?

If there is a policy statement that someone can point me to, that would be great.

You could ask this about any company. Cars, home appliances, or anything else.

Abyss isn’t alone not not offering a lifetime warranty. Just off the top of my head I googled HiFiman, Audeze, Dan Clark Audio, and Meze, and none of them offer a lifetime warranty.

Jan 23, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #13,587 of 22,434
You could ask this about any company. Cars, home appliances, or anything else.

Abyss isn’t alone not not offering a lifetime warranty. Just off the top of my head I googled HiFiman, Audeze, Dan Clark Audio, and Meze, and none of them offer a lifetime warranty.

And other than Audeze, I won’t purchase from them. Audeze is a bit different in that they start a new 3 year warranty on repaired/replaced drivers. Does Abyss also restart with a fresh 3 years, or is it a hard 3 years from date of purchase regardless of interim warranty work?

Have you had trouble getting older cars or major appliances repaired? I haven’t, so don’t think your example works well.

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #13,588 of 22,434
And other than Audeze, I won’t purchase from them. Audeze is a bit different in that they start a new 3 year warranty on repaired/replaced drivers. Does Abyss also restart with a fresh 3 years, or is it a hard 3 years from date of purchase regardless of interim warranty work?

Have you had trouble getting older cars or major appliances repaired? I haven’t, so don’t think your example works well.

So using your logic, then why would anyone think that Abyss won’t have parts and the ability to fix headphones down the road?

Separately, in any industry at some point parts become obsolete. They can’t invest money in old inventory to sit on a shelf in case it is ever needed.

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #13,589 of 22,434
So using your logic, then why would anyone think that Abyss won’t have parts and the ability to fix headphones down the road?

Separately, in any industry at some point parts become obsolete. They can’t invest money in old inventory to sit on a shelf in case it is ever needed.

I simply asked if Abyss had a policy on service life. The same question I would ask any company making high cost/low volume product with frequent version changes before purchase.

Not sure why you’re getting so defensive over such a simple and direct question. But circle the wagons if you must...

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #13,590 of 22,434
I simply asked if Abyss had a policy on service life. The same question I would ask any company making high cost/low volume product with frequent version changes before purchase.

Not sure why you’re getting so defensive over such a simple and direct question. But circle the wagons if you must...

i’m not defensive. It’s not my company. I’m just amazed at all of the Nervous Nellie posts about what if this and what if that, and why don’t they have a lifetime warranty, when very few in the industry have that.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back