The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 22, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #13,561 of 22,391
How can they offer a lifetime warranty when it’s up for debate as to did the drivers fail on her own or was it due to the user? For example there are quite a few people using a speaker amps to drive their 1266. Even though I’m sure none of us have had failures using a speaker amp, Joe has told me that it’s an expensive proposition if you blow a driver using a speaker amp. In other words, you’re on your own.
What was meant to be said is ZMF will maintain a legacy brand due to the nature of Zach's character, his involvement within the community and the unrivaled lifetime warranty.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #13,562 of 22,391
If that's the case, how is it different if people used speaker amps and blow the drivers within the 1st week of purchase? They'd still have to replace it, since it's within warranty, and still up to debate if it was failure or user error (if they didn't disclose they used a speaker amp).

I guess there’s nothing a company can do with dishonesty. There’s more of a chance blowing a driver using 125 watts or 250 watts into 8 ohms as opposed to what a headphone amp puts out

Jan 22, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #13,564 of 22,391
Whatever happened to this forum? I remember when it used to be people talking about the enjoyment of these headphones. Now it’s turned into, what we can what can we find wrong with them.
Wait. What can you find wrong with them!? ABYSS_SMILEY_1266.png

Jan 22, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #13,565 of 22,391
Does anyone here keep both the TC and Diana Phi in their stable?

I googled Utopia vs Diana Phi and so far most of the hits have returned favourably for the Diana. To be honest, I never really considered the Diana, after getting the TC. After the recent ASR measurement thing, as usual, curiosity got the better of me.

So, just wondering if any of you deem it worthy enough to have the Diana around, despite already owning the TC.

I had the same curiosity and have the Utopia! However instead of going to the Phi I went with its little sister the V2!

It definitely has the Abyss sound especially for the low end, expanded sound stage and detailed highs. It's not detailed as the TC but much much more portable. I'm using them on the Cayin N6ii A01 & iBasso DX300 DAPs and it sounds fantastic! Definitely unlike those flawed measurements :)

When I added the Romi Audio BX-2 Plus portable class A Amp that generates more than 5 watts per channel at 32 Ohms to the mix, the Diana V2s really sing. It's a wonderful, portable experience. :)

As for the Utopia comparison, the Utopias are definitely faster, has better transients and more detailed. The V2 have a much much better low end, wider Soundstage, similar imaging and less fatiguing treble! Oh and the build quality is definitely premium on both but I find myself loving the Dianas more. 😀

No fit issues for me and the pads were comfortable, but I'd recommend going for a headstrap pad for the Diana, I will try to link the recommend pad which costs around $10 USD from Amazon to alleviate the small hotspot that might appear on the top of your head after long listening sessions. :beyersmile:

Edit: Found them:

Abyss recommendation: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G4BQC1B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Head-Fi recommendation: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NP9KLDL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All in all, the TCs are still king but they have a wonderful sister that you'll lose the track of time while being with her, 30 minutes will easily turn into 3 hours! :jecklinsmile:

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #13,566 of 22,391
I had the same curiosity and have the Utopia! However instead of going to the Phi I went with its little sister the V2!

It definitely has the Abyss sound especially for the low end, expanded sound stage and detailed highs. It's not detailed as the TC but much much more portable. I'm using them on the Cayin N6ii A01 & iBasso DX300 DAPs and it sounds fantastic! Definitely unlike those flawed measurements :)

When I added the Romi Audio BX-2 Plus portable class A Amp that generates more than 5 watts per channel at 32 Ohms to the mix, the Diana V2s really sing. It's a wonderful, portable experience. :)

As for the Utopia comparison, the Utopias are definitely faster, has better transients and more detailed. The V2 have a much much better low end, wider Soundstage, similar imaging and less fatiguing treble! Oh and the build quality is definitely premium on both but I find myself loving the Dianas more. 😀

No fit issues for me and the pads were comfortable, but I'd recommend going for a headstrap pad for the Diana, I will try to link the recommend pad which costs around $10 USD from Amazon to alleviate the small hotspot that might appear on the top of your head after long listening sessions. :beyersmile:

Edit: Found them:

Abyss recommendation: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G4BQC1B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Head-Fi recommendation: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NP9KLDL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All in all, the TCs are still king but they have a wonderful sister that you'll lose the track of time while being with her, 30 minutes will easily turn into 3 hours! :jecklinsmile:

Hey man thanks so much for chiming in! Looks like I'm going to have to try and look for a Phi to try out! Odd, that I've never ever seen one in the wild, not even in the local abyss dealership. Will msg their guy and see if they have one in the store somewhere. I have an iBasso dx220 with amp 8 so I guess I won't totally rule out a portable setup. Also, thanks for the headband links!

Jan 22, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #13,567 of 22,391
Hey man thanks so much for chiming in! Looks like I'm going to have to try and look for a Phi to try out! Odd, that I've never ever seen one in the wild, not even in the local abyss dealership. Will msg their guy and see if they have one in the store somewhere. I have an iBasso dx220 with amp 8 so I guess I won't totally rule out a portable setup. Also, thanks for the headband links!

You're most welcome!

Thank you too for making me get these out and remember how great they sound! :beyersmile:

20210123_063821.jpg

Jan 22, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #13,568 of 22,391
I have both the TC and Diana phi. For me the Diana is more portable walking around the house, and for very short sessions or when I am multi tasking, where I am too lazy to grab the TC out of the pelican case. For more serious listening, I use the TC.
the diana series is obviously preferable for those interested in portability...taking It with you on a trip etc

Jan 22, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #13,569 of 22,391
I did try my best to compare SE out and balanced out with the 1266/phi/TC (I've had all three). I found the balanced XLR outs from the TT2 were ideal. Plenty of power, transparency, impact, I was happy with that. The single ended outs sounded a bit thinner to me, but I honestly didn't precisely volume match, nor did I use the same cable between the two connections. I liked where I was with the volume control when using balanced outs. I was too much over 0 volume with single ended outs. Same story with the Susvara right now, I'm amazed at how well the TT2 drives them from the balanced outs.

I can concur the TT2 balanced can drive the TC, with more powerful bass compared to SE. There is just the slightest improvement of upper mids when using the SE. My usual volume is -20 via XLR3 which is closely volume matched to -26 via SE.

I've tried the stock cable, Norne silvergarde S3-C, and Forza noir hybrid. Just bought a superconductor HP cable with some moon audio XLR3 adapters for the rear TT2 -- waiting for them to come in. Will report back.

Jan 22, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #13,570 of 22,391
Jan 22, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #13,571 of 22,391
Whatever happened to this forum? I remember when it used to be people talking about the enjoyment of these headphones. Now it’s turned into, what we can what can we find wrong with them.

Wait. What can you find wrong with them!?
I'm betting I'm not the only one with a mild case of OCD on this forum. I think a huge portion of the audiophile market consists of people with untreated neuroses. It's a healthy outlet, if you can afford it. Focus all your attention on chasing down perfection, costs being of no concern, and never be 100% satisfied. That's audiophilia.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #13,572 of 22,391
I'm betting I'm not the only one with a mild case of OCD on this forum. I think a huge portion of the audiophile market consists of people with untreated neuroses. It's a healthy outlet, if you can afford it. Focus all your attention on chasing down perfection, costs being of no concern, and never be 100% satisfied, that's audiophilia.
You didn't answer the question! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :grin:

Jan 22, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #13,573 of 22,391
I'm betting I'm not the only one with a mild case of OCD on this forum. I think a huge portion of the audiophile market consists of people with untreated neuroses. It's a healthy outlet, if you can afford it. Focus all your attention on chasing down perfection, costs being of no concern, and never be 100% satisfied. That's audiophilia.
Sry. Delete

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #13,574 of 22,391
no different than wine collectors etc.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back