The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #13,426 of 22,596
I recently sold my TC and went with the Susvara. (running a Benchmark HPA4 amp)

Having lived with the HifiMan flagship, I have to admit the 1266 is a better sounding headphone. Deeper bass with more slam, a better space. Susvara are smoother sounding with no fatigue. At times both my TC and D-Phi were a little fatiguing. All three headphones are more similar than different and far better than other can's I've owned (Utopia, 007s, LCD3). Utopias have zero stage, 007s sound thin, LCD3 are dark (and heavy).

I'm selling my Forza TC cable if anyone is interested.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details...able-for-abyss-1266-noir-hybrid-hpc-2-meters/

I've kept my Abyss headphone stand, just so I can say I'm still a member of the Abyss family.

Steve
IMG_3090.jpg

File_003 (1).jpeg

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #13,427 of 22,596
I did at some point. A weird rattle on the right side was apparent at low frequencies (Hans Zimmer / Why so serious). It turned out to be a hair stuck between the pad and the driver!

Had that happen to me once, a strong little LED flashlight and a pair of tweezers fixed it.

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #13,428 of 22,596

Having lived with the HifiMan flagship, I have to admit the 1266 is a better sounding headphone. Deeper bass with more slam, a better space. Susvara are smoother sounding with no fatigue. At times both my TC and D-Phi were a little fatiguing. All three headphones are more similar than different and far better than other can's I've owned (Utopia, 007s, LCD3). Utopias have zero stage, 007s sound thin, LCD3 are dark (and heavy).

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details...able-for-abyss-1266-noir-hybrid-hpc-2-meters/

I've kept my Abyss headphone stand, just so I can say I'm still a member of the Abyss family.

Steve

I wish I could buy the Abyss stand and bag separately. The aesthetic is so cool.

Jan 17, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #13,429 of 22,596
I've had my AB-1266 Phi TC for about a year now. Fantastic sound. I have had an issue with some rattling at certain bass frequencies, however. An issue I don't have with my Stellia or Utopias. They're actually at Abyss now getting looked over. Have any of you guys had an issue with rattling? On my headphones, it's only in the left speaker so I have a feeling it's not an overall limitation of the headphone. I'm running them through a Hugo 2 TT/M Scaler through a WA33 Elite.
Yes! I was plagued by the left channel rattle on a couple of units. They are good about replacing them as long as they are able to recreate it.

Jan 17, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #13,430 of 22,596

Steve
IMG_3090.jpg
File_003 (1).jpeg
You’ll be back.

Jan 18, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #13,431 of 22,596
yes, it is darn near impossible to part with the TC

Jan 18, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #13,433 of 22,596
To whom may be interested ...
Clash of the Titans – my Take on Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC vs. HIFIMAN Susvara
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-susvara.853031/post-16112974

Very interesting review, thanks for sharing! I can recognize myself in your description ("musically very curious", "listening time is taken by a very eclectic genres exploration"), and also the "roller coaster" TC experience (which I love). Now interested to listen to the Susvara again, so far I could only hear it at my dealer under sub-optimal circumstances (connected directly to a non-MScaled Dave).

Jan 18, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #13,434 of 22,596
Jan 18, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #13,435 of 22,596
I tired the Susvara and my TC couldn't be replaced for what seems like extreme power in the lower registers. It's like a normal theater against IMAX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back