The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #13,456 of 22,596
Jan 19, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #13,457 of 22,596
Dabacables Lazuli Ultra, better than stock for sure.

Yes it is and a good bit more easy to work with weight and flex wise than Nirvana. I think I've owned every Dana Cable model for the 1266 at some point. Owned the Superconductor as well.

Jan 19, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #13,458 of 22,596
Hey all, I really didn't mean to stir up this much drama just because I don't like a pair of headphones!

I asked, and just found out that there's a 20% restocking fee. So to anyone reading this thinking about buying a pair, keep that in mind before purchasing

I will admit that maybe my setup is poor, but all of my other headphones sound great on it

https://i.imgur.com/vrjgrOY.jpg

see that little black box in the middle with no label? that's a DIY Noir headphone amp, and I get tons of enjoyment out of it with some of my headphones, yet most people wouldn't even consider it because of what it is. My empyreans sound wonderful on it

Quite right! I don't care one bit about accuracy, only how big of a smile it puts on my face :)

In fairness, I tried the RME ADI-2 FS with the GS-X Mini + Abyss 1266 Phi TC and that dac sounded terrible with them.

TERRIBLE. In my opinion.

I sold my RME ADI-2 FS that day because when I did A/B testing with it and the $200 Schiit Modius, I favored the Modius. So...

That being said, I'm now getting an R2R dac to have alongside my Bifrost 2 and Modius.

Maybe Abyss just isn't for you, but as someone who has tried the RME ADI-2 FS with those headphones, I can wholeheartedly say that it's just not a good union. At all.

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #13,459 of 22,596
In fairness, I tried the RME ADI-2 FS with the GS-X Mini + Abyss 1266 Phi TC and that dac sounded terrible with them.

TERRIBLE. In my opinion.

I sold my RME ADI-2 FS that day because when I did A/B testing with it and the $200 Schiit Modius, I favored the Modius. So...

That being said, I'm now getting an R2R dac to have alongside my Bifrost 2 and Modius.

Maybe Abyss just isn't for you, but as someone who has tried the RME ADI-2 FS with those headphones, I can wholeheartedly say that it's just not a good union. At all.
Interesting. I have the RME ADI-2 Pro..same family as ADI-2 DAC and I find it works just fine...perhaps ignorance is bliss on my end and as a disclaimer, I don't appreciate great differences between DACs in general

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #13,460 of 22,596
Interesting. I have the RME ADI-2 Pro..same family as ADI-2 DAC and I find it works just fine...perhaps ignorance is bliss on my end and as a disclaimer, I don't appreciate great differences between DACs in general

This. I once hooked up via various ways three Dacs to the same amp so that we could switch on the fly. Differences where there, but rather minimal. For sure not so much to say that a wrong pairing would be terrible.

Jan 19, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #13,462 of 22,596

That may be very true - and I actually just ordered an ARES II last night so I'll try it out, but I honestly think my sound preferences are not in line with what most people consider "good"

as an example, the best frequency response tuning I've ever heard in a headphone is the Ultrasone HFI-580, it's the benchmark that I compare all other headphones to - yet DMS just released a video yesterday about how absolutely terrible they are. This is why I much prefer the Empyreans over the 1266 TC, because of the sound signature. I prefer recessed mids, with a dark warm lush sound - which the 1266 are absolutely not

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #13,463 of 22,596
That may be very true - and I actually just ordered an ARES II last night so I'll try it out, but I honestly think my sound preferences are not in line with what most people consider "good"

as an example, the best frequency response tuning I've ever heard in a headphone is the Ultrasone HFI-580, it's the benchmark that I compare all other headphones to - yet DMS just released a video yesterday about how absolutely terrible they are. This is why I much prefer the Empyreans over the 1266 TC, because of the sound signature. I prefer recessed mids, with a dark warm lush sound - which the 1266 are absolutely not
Totally fine of course.
It will help reading reviews in depth from many sources as general sound signature would be explained, that way you save on the selling/buying/reselling mess.

Jan 19, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #13,465 of 22,596
Weird question. Just wanna try something.
Is there such an adapter that can rca out to a female 4pin xlr.
In scope I'd like to just try
DAC to Loki to TC
You can go XLR to RCA, but not RCA to XLR

Jan 19, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #13,467 of 22,596
Jan 19, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #13,468 of 22,596
Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #13,469 of 22,596
Jan 19, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #13,470 of 22,596

Users who are viewing this thread

Back