The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #12,631 of 22,461
Sound-wise it is great. But the charme of a garden hose.
I see you have it, can you compere it to stock?
I wan't try this Lazuli Ultra but i fear that it can be bright becouse its hybrid of copper and silver.

Nov 5, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #12,632 of 22,461
I see you have it, can you compere it to stock?
I wan't try this Lazuli Ultra but i fear that it can be bright becouse its hybrid of copper and silver.

I sold it. I do not recall any brightness specifically, but I do remember a full-bodied bass and nice smoothness. Sound-wise, I absolutely had no complaints, but I do not buy aftermarket cables to deal with unwieldy inflexible thickness. Ergonomics are now an important parameter for me.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #12,636 of 22,461
Hello my fellow Earthling mates. Not sure if someone already covered this, but I just wanted to provide a possible solution for the tightness of the TC after installing the new headband. You probably will save complaints and $8 too if you don't wanna buy the different sized O-rings, haha.

Yes, when I first got it, they were bent inwards and tight. So tight that it reminded me of the first time I wore the HEDDphone, and that felt like wearing Hercule's grip on a carnival festival. Makes Zer0 sense? Let's kindly moonwalk on.

My Solution: I just bent the TC outwards until they were not tight anymore. This would obviously stretch the O-rings, but Abyss's site (2nd paragraph under "Buy it now") says that it is fine as long as the stretch is under about 8 cm (or 3 inches) in length. The way to bend it is shown here (just scroll down to find the video).
As for the ears hanging low, I noticed a change in length once I started hanging the HPs by their headband...just as Joe suggested in one of his earlier posts. If my ears are still low, I'll just nuzzle the HPs towards my head (from its head, of course) until I get a proper fit.

Hope this helps!

Nov 6, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #12,638 of 22,461
I just buy that Lazuli Ultra, hope it will be worth.
Weren't you going for a Superconductor cable? I thought they cost about the same, about $2k?

Nov 6, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #12,640 of 22,461
Nov 6, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #12,641 of 22,461
I am in between the Diana Phi and the new1266. Is it true that Diana Phi offers 90% of the 1266?

Money is not an issue but I am too scared of the 1266 ergonomics.
Will I be able to sit on a recliner leaning back with issues? I have been told that the 1266 requires sitting straight because they don’t clamp on the head and every movement will change the cups positions which will affect the sound.

I don’t understand the philosophy behind the 1266, if the freq response changes based on the position of cups, how come you can get the same sound every time you move.

I am considering the 1266 because I am a two channels system guy and soundstage + imaging are my priority. This is why I didn’t consider the Meze Empyrean, because I hate small soundstage associated with headphones in general.

Am I in the right direction in considering the 1266 or the Diana Phi?

Nov 6, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #12,642 of 22,461
I am in between the Diana Phi and the new1266. Is it true that Diana Phi offers 90% of the 1266?

Will I be able to sit on a recliner leaning back with issues? I have been told that the 1266 requires sitting straight because they don’t clamp on the head and every movement will change the cups positions which will affect the sound.

I don’t understand the philosophy behind the 1266, if the freq response changes based on the position of cups, how come you can get the same sound every time you move.

I am considering the 1266 because I am a two channels system guy and soundstage + imaging are my priority. This is why I didn’t consider the Meze Empyrean, because I hate small soundstage associated with headphones in general.

You can make the 1266 as tight or loose as you want. (But yes, it will impact the sound somewhat.) Yes, I would say you are on the right track, and I would definitely check out the 1266 TC. Only way to find out and decide between Diana and 1266 is to try them yourself!

Nov 6, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #12,643 of 22,461

Go for the 1266 Imo. I own the Diana V2 and Diana Phi, I used to own the 1266 Phi CC and I have a TC on the way - the Diana's have a pretty small soundstage (and I mean small by headphone standards, not small by 2ch standards). I personally really enjoy that but I don't think it's going to be your cup of tea.

Nov 6, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #12,644 of 22,461

It doesn't matter how you wear TC, it always perform better in term of soundstage and imaging than Diana Phi. Go straight to TC.

Nov 6, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #12,645 of 22,461
I agree on the TC being the right Abyss for your preferences. If you really like to sound stage of 2 channel, the Raal SR1A may also be a consideration. However if deep bass, or just a lot of bass is a requirement, the Raal won't be for you. I have both and they are very different headphones in the lower registers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back