The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 29, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #12,601 of 22,508
Don't listen to these guys. High-end equipment with mp3 will sound a lot better. Think about it with TV's. If you feed 720p movie to a 4K TV, upscaling algorithms will make it 4K and depending on the quality of the TV, it is actually quite impressive. Even my girlfriend thought she was watching a real 4K movie once while it was just upscaling doing the magic.

Same with music. Really good DAC's are able to upscale the music to a much higher quality than it really is. If your DAC does a poor job at it, there is even software to upscale your music to a much higher quality.

I'd be more concerned how the music was mixed and mastered rather than whether you listen from a 320kbps mp3 or a Flac file (some recordings are mastered differently I noticed with DSD / FLAC / mp3 versions ).
ummm no...listening to TOTL equipment and MP3 makes zero sense...dont waste your money there is a huge difference between mp3 and higher quality files...not if you listen on ear buds but for sure on an abyss TC

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #12,602 of 22,508
Very disappointed and saddened to see a broken O-ring when I picked up my Phi's CC today for a listening session. Must had happened overnight. These have the original head band. What can I do now? :slight_frown:

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #12,603 of 22,508
ummm no...listening to TOTL equipment and MP3 makes zero sense...dont waste your money there is a huge difference between mp3 and higher quality files...not if you listen on ear buds but for sure on an abyss TC
+1 The 1266 is so outrageously detailed you absolutely do not want to be losing information because of a lossy format

Oct 29, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #12,606 of 22,508
I just purchased the new headband, does anyone know how to replace the stretch rings on the new headband?

I haven't tried but appears you just remove the two screws.

Oct 29, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #12,607 of 22,508
That is what the guitar pick is for. They send one with the new headband that you use to loosen the screws and insert the o ring.

Oct 29, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #12,609 of 22,508
I'm asking this because the new o ring is kind of tight, Im thinking about getting a bigger o ring for the headband

I get it. You along with virtually everyone one else with the new headband :wink:

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #12,610 of 22,508
Very disappointed and saddened to see a broken O-ring when I picked up my Phi's CC today for a listening session. Must had happened overnight. These have the original head band. What can I do now? :slight_frown:

It's so odd, that's exactly how it happened with mine as well--not during actual wear but in between listening sessions. I ordered a replacement a week or so ago, and used electrical tape and super glue as temp solution (super glue ends back together while inserted through headband, clamp/hold as it cures and then electrical tape over it and fix back on headphones). It's still holding on for dear life lol. Others have used rubber bands which probably is a better solution. GL.

Oct 30, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #12,613 of 22,508
My O-rings came from Amazon and I don't even own the 1266 yet! :) Have they ever put them on sale for black Friday or any other time?
If you have a good relationship with your dealer, you can get it for $4500. I few months ago we compared how much we paid for the TCs. Several posters mentioned getting their TCs for $4500 from their dealers

Oct 30, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #12,614 of 22,508
If you have a good relationship with your dealer, you can get it for $4500. I few months ago we compared how much we paid for the TCs. Several posters mentioned getting their TCs for $4500 from their dealers
Unfortunately, every online dealer I have found in Canada is asking a little over the $4995 converted to CDN or hundreds more. I'd love to hear from people who their US dealers are because going direct from the US is looking like the cheapest way to go.

Oct 30, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #12,615 of 22,508
Unfortunately, every online dealer I have found in Canada is asking a little over the $4995 converted to CDN or hundreds more. I'd love to hear from people who their US dealers are because going direct from the US is looking like the cheapest way to go.
I'll sell you mine for 4k,usd, used 4 months, have everything it came with originally, came stock with new headband

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back