The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 11, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #12,361 of 22,482
I am not going to spend 2k on a cable. Period.

(I think. :))

Oct 11, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #12,362 of 22,482
Who is the adapter supplier? Sounds useful.

They’re called shibido. I’ve had mixed results with affinity audio (some adapters great, others I feel like there’s a loss of fidelity). But I had a set of utopia to 4 pin mini xlrs made and I couldn’t tell a difference - and at the time I also had a ZMF compatible Danacable, so I was able to do an unusually accurate comparison. I sold that cable and kept the utopia one. Shibido also uses fututech so they are extremely well made and nice finish.

I figured this was an easier way to try a great cable on the abyss, but I have no illusions it won’t match the SC. Problem is I need 7-8 feet, so the cost of getting an SC is even higher for me.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #12,363 of 22,482
Poor man with a TC here. Due to some unfortunate financial come Ups. I'm having to sell my gear even outside of audio.
Anyway, I made keeping the TC happen, at all costs. Because I love it
Now I need a cheap dac/amp that does the job, at least powerful enough, I understand details, resolution are words not allowed in my situation.
What would do the job? For cheapest price?

Oct 11, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #12,365 of 22,482
Poor man with a TC here. Due to some unfortunate financial come Ups. I'm having to sell my gear even outside of audio.
Now I need a cheap dac/amp that does the job, at least powerful enough, I understand details, resolution are words not allowed in my situation.

I don’t have a good answer but given I think a lot of folks here run really high end systems, thought my insight might be helpful. I’m waiting on a really good custom amp to be built, and for the next month all I have is a mjolnir 2 and a thx 789. Neither is great but fwiw, the 789 has enough power to run the TC on high gain. So that might be a budget option for the time being. I prefer the mjolnir 2 but unfortunately I don’t think either is great with the TC (I like how the mjo sounds with ZMF’s, hence why I have it).

Oct 11, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #12,366 of 22,482
I did it here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-jps-labs-abyss-ab-1266-impressions-thread.666765/post-14797813

In the end, after having both the SC and Prion4 for several months, I decided to keep the SC because of its fuller body and slightly warmer, yet still very resolving character.

The Prion4 is the most liquid and transparent cable I tried with the TC, though. It manages to be very detailed without any hint of harshness.

Very punchy and tight bass, where the SC has some more bloom and richness throughout.
I have the DHC Complement 4 on my TC’s. It‘s very, very similar sounding to the Prion 4. It sounds exactly like you described. I choose to use amps and DACs to tailor the sound while keeping the headphone itself relatively uncolored. It’s the main reason why I haven’t bought the SC cable for my TC’s. I have the Prion 4 on my Susvara’s and it’s a fantastic pairing as well.

Oct 11, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #12,367 of 22,482

Look into audio-gd. Best pound for pound DAC/AMPs out there that can adequately drive the finicky Abyss. I recently bought a Audio gd NTB-29 on eBay for $300 because I found that I was hardly using my abyss in my main speaker rig and I wanted to find a small desktop solution for another room. I have tried numerous transportable/portable amps (Chord Hugo/iFi micro Black Label/Woo Topaz 11) but none could do the Abyss justice. It was like tying a bunch of chihuahuas to a dog sled! I went cheap for a an even more practical reason - I didn’t want my wife barking at me for yet another headphone splurge. But the audio gd can really drive the abyss without much effort and I’ll be damned if it doesn’t do about 90% of what the Chord Dave does at a smidgen of the price. The unit I have here is about six years old which accounts for the low cost, but I believe even new units are only around $800-$900. Happy bargain hunting!
794B9F7C-6A0F-49EE-A041-CF7474810C25.jpeg

Oct 11, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #12,371 of 22,482
Somebody in this thread said to not just look at the Superconductors as cables, but as a way to upgrade to your TCs.

The slight reframe makes it a bit easier to justify the substantial cost. It really does upgrade your TCs. They are that good

Oct 11, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #12,372 of 22,482
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KQW1WFX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_OUYGFbCZRT4SP

Sorry guys, I'm poor yet love the TC, and having to downgrade financially
This product seems to have a dac and balanced out.
I don't know what to look for in the product description, is this capable to drive the TC with authority?
I know it's probably poop but I'm hoping it can at least drive them ok, not expecting anything nice here...

Oct 11, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #12,373 of 22,482

I don't know what to look for in the product description, is this capable to drive the TC with authority?
I know it's probably poop but I'm hoping it can at least drive them ok, not expecting anything nice here...
The Schiit Jotunheim can come with a dac and it drives the TCs with authority. I bought one a while back to test out. It does actually drive them well

https://www.schiit.com/products/jotunheim

Oct 11, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #12,374 of 22,482

It appears to have enough power. From what I've heard very clean sounding. As an amp to use until you can save up for an upgrade, I would say yes.

Oct 11, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #12,375 of 22,482
The Jotunheim does drive it nicely. I had one I used on my 1266cc. I wasn't crazy about the sound signature, but it certainly had enough power.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back