The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 12, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #12,391 of 22,556
Can one cut the cable, lightly, just the sleeve, vertical cut and resleeve it?
It’s a $700 gamble. You might ask a professional somebody to do it for you. (No I don’t know what professional could do this safely, but one surely exists)

Oct 12, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #12,392 of 22,556
Looking at the price of the SC cable, I can only imagine it's made of 7n unobtanium by technological elves in a secret lab somewhere. And shipped to Abyss.

Oct 12, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #12,393 of 22,556
Of course I'm still thinking of getting one. Just wish I could try it first.

Oct 12, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #12,394 of 22,556
Anybody know what the return policy is on Abyss cables?

Oct 12, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #12,395 of 22,556
Oct 12, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #12,396 of 22,556
Thecableco may be your best bet. They have some sort of lending library

https://www.thecableco.com/lending-library

I’ved demoed every digital cable and interconnect cable from them before buying. I may have not always purchase from them, but I did get a chance to listen to a ton of cables.

they give you about two weeks to try it, and they charge you 5% of the retail as the rental. Addition to that, the people there are very knowledgeable and you could tell them what your system is and how you like to hear the music, for example analytical, musical, etc. etc, and they’ll direct you.

Oct 12, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #12,397 of 22,556
Thanks for the suggestions.

Oct 12, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #12,398 of 22,556
For everybody with the new headband, does it bunch up in places and curl in the middle? I feel like I installed it correctly (it wasn't very easy though...), but it just looks off (frankly, bad). It appears like it is curling and bunching up because it is stretched too tight. I dunno, maybe it's because of the extra padding in the middle.

I notice the headband crease you're referring to but they remain comfortable for me, surprisingly so considering their weight.

I've been running the TCs via the Master 9 and HSA1b. Haven't had a chance to test them with the Kinki EX-M1+ but I'll get around to it.
Regardless, no headphone has captured my attention this way since the HD800 was first released. It didn't take long to realize the TCs were the best I've heard, supplanting the SR1a (with the Jotunheim R) and Susvara overall. Perhaps a total of 25% of my music collection sounds better on the other cans but for the other 75% I find myself reaching for the Abyss. They commit the fewest errors and unsurprisingly serve as the best all-rounders.

The soundstage is interesting in that it's very nearly the size of if not the equal of the HD800, but with more fullness and larger images (that planars often produce). It's better at recreating the feeling of listening in a large room than any other headphone. The SR1a sometimes do this with even greater effect but their projection is more from ahead and less surrounding. I feel the bass of the Abyss, absent on the RAALs, also contributes to its more convincing room-effect.

Others have done well to compare the Susvara, SR1a and TCs here so I won't detail those differences right now.

Edit: I should clarify that these comparisons are with the HPs in their respective stock forms. Once aftermarket cables, EQs and especially high-end amping (HSA1b) is including in the picture, the SR1a take the top spot most of the time because of what they do well (greatest clarity, dynamics, speed and largest soundstage with equal if not better imaging). Despite this, it's still very close between the RAALs and 1266 TC because of the latter's lack of flaws. The Abyss score a 9 or 10 in every measure right out of the box, whereas the SR1a take a lot of work with ancillaries to match or surpass that (and even then they can't match the subbass of the 1266 TC).

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #12,399 of 22,556
I find the new handband to be tighter than the old one, so much so that when I try to expand them and make them wider, it is so tight that it actually snaps back closed...I am presently trying to stretch the rings to make it a bit looser

Oct 12, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #12,400 of 22,556
I like the new head band because it’s seems thicker so I’m not putting padding underneath to get the ear cups off my ears.

Oct 12, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #12,401 of 22,556

I quite enjoyed that video.

Although I don't subscribe to Z, he perfectly captured the TC magic when he said **** shot out of his earholes.

Oct 12, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #12,402 of 22,556
I find the new handband to be tighter than the old one, so much so that when I try to expand them and make them wider, it is so tight that it actually snaps back closed...I am presently trying to stretch the rings to make it a bit looser
I was a early or 1st or 2nd recipient of the new headband and reported the snap-back nature with the headband. I've yet to naturally break-in the o-rings to mitigate this characteristic although it doesn't bother my fit, it was of a little curious note.

Oct 12, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #12,403 of 22,556
Thecableco may be your best bet. They have some sort of lending library

https://www.thecableco.com/lending-library
Thanks for the suggestions.
Forget it.
The Cable Company doesn't loan out headphone cables because there are too many different configurations.
Also, since COVID-19 they've stopped loaning out headphones last I spoke to them (+/-2mos ago) and I'm assuming they've stopped loaning out everything and doubt this has changed since.

Oct 13, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #12,404 of 22,556
Guys,

I am considering buying a 1266 (Diana owner) and I am a bit confused with the models.

1266 OG, Phi CC, and Phi TC. What is the difference between them? Which one to get?

the other question I have is: is the HeadAmp GS-X mini a good pairing for it? For the Diana is-just amazing!

Thank you !

Oct 13, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #12,405 of 22,556
Hmm. I don't have mine yet, but I'm having second thoughts. Sounds like I would be shopping for O rings soon.. I wish they just provided a few sizes like I suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back