The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #12,032 of 22,434
don’t confuse playing loud with driving properly. Any source will produce music out of the 1266, but that doesn’t mean the headphone will reach its potential being under driven.
This can be applied to a lot of headphones. Synergy is very important when it comes to system matching.

Sep 10, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #12,035 of 22,434
BTW it's there any DAP to drive 1266 good? KANN CUBE?
I dont think the cube would have enough power. It should have enough gain tho. I think you would have to use battery powered amps. Dmpz1 was good but only went up to moderate volumes.
BTW it's there any DAP to drive 1266 good? KANN CUBE?
Cube should play enough volume but wont have the power to fully drive them. You would need battery powered amps to run them portably.

Sep 10, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #12,036 of 22,434
I mailed ABYSS to ask them about the TT2 as well, here is their reply:

Thanks for the email!

The Hugo TT2 will work ok with the 1266, but ultimately owners tend to seek a separate amplifier suited for the TC to add a bit more fullness and bottom end heft.

Why don't you send that email to Chord and see what they say? :) Seriously, they will tell you that the TT2 can drive the TC, no problem.

In my opinion (pls remember: my opinion:)) the TC can be driven quite well by the TT2 on its own. Not saying that a separate amp won't make it better (I have the Formula S), but I could quite easily have settled for the TT2 by itself, and the small footprint can be a big plus for some people. Same now with the Dave, I can really enjoy the TC straight out of the Dave SE output. I think we are talking about comparatively small levels of improvement at this already very high level of sound quality.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #12,037 of 22,434
Why don't you send that email to Chord and see what they say? :) Seriously, they will tell you that the TT2 can drive the TC, no problem.

In my opinion (pls remember: my opinion:)) the TC can be driven quite well by the TT2 on its own. Not saying that a separate amp won't make it better (I have the Formula S), but I could quite easily have settled for the TT2 by itself, and the small footprint can be a big plus for some people. Same now with the Dave, I can really enjoy the TC straight out of the Dave SE output. I think we are talking about comparatively small levels of improvement at this already very high level of sound quality.
+1 on DAVE + TC on SE Output.
>> Same now with the Dave, I can really enjoy the TC straight out of the Dave SE output. I think we are talking about comparatively small levels of improvement at this already very high level of sound quality.

Sep 10, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #12,038 of 22,434
Useful to know - thank you.

Sep 10, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #12,039 of 22,434
Did you use SE or balanced output? Balanced is 4x times more powerful at 50 Ohm.
I did use SE. Somebody else recommended using the balanced outputs on the back of the TT2, so maybe it helps with the TCs

Sep 10, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #12,040 of 22,434

My new 1266 is in my office and won’t be able to use it for the next week or two so can’t speak from experience. I agree that it makes no sense that the TT2 wouldn’t be able to properly drive it. I’ve read so much about what high end tube amps such as the WA33 or Riviera bring to the 1266 though, so I guess I’ll have to wait and listen!

Sep 10, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #12,041 of 22,434
I was specifically recommended the TT2 over the Dave for driving the 1266, so I imagine it's perfectly fine. I'm looking into a loaner TT2 so I can actually try it!

Don't know what you think about that advice?

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #12,042 of 22,434
I can’t speak to the TT2, but the WA33 drives the TC with great results. Abyss posted a video on their YouTube channel about it. They also have several videos reviewing different amps and how they pair with Abyss headphones.

Sep 10, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #12,044 of 22,434
Hey guys. Recently I got a can of Abyss recent mode 1266 TC. It doesn't sound very good on THX 789. The mids and trebles come off pretty weak and the bass sounds sort of muffled, doesn't slam as much as I expected to be. Is this the amp's fault? I'm connecting it to Schiit Bifrost and THX 789

Did you turn your gain up to 3 ? I found the treble a bit to strong and peacky and im coming from a beyerdynamic dt 1990 with a thx 789.
I never heard my tc with a proper high end amp so maybe i dont know what im missing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back