The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #12,016 of 22,434
Thanks. I didn't know the pads are not suppose to hug your ears tightly. I was assuming it was going to be tight fit with ears centered in the cups. THX definitely doesn't do a good job powering it. I tried on Monprice DAC/Amp too, it also sounds thin and muffled.

Sep 9, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #12,017 of 22,434
Hey guys. Recently I got a can of Abyss recent mode 1266 TC. It doesn't sound very good on THX 789. The mids and trebles come off pretty weak and the bass sounds sort of muffled, doesn't slam as much as I expected to be. Is this the amp's fault? I'm connecting it to Schiit Bifrost and THX 789

You can buy one of those cheap class D amps that provide a lot of watts from Amazon to test out. If it's not because of power constraints, then you can return the amp.

Sep 9, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #12,018 of 22,434
I also had same experiences with my og ab1267 when i first moved to deskfi from portable gear. Connected to my dap, bass was thin and weak, mids muffled and highs rolled off. After i gave it more power it became a different monster. Like thr posts above i bet fine tuning the fit and a new amp will fix everything

Sep 9, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #12,020 of 22,434
Hey guys. Recently I got a can of Abyss recent mode 1266 TC. It doesn't sound very good on THX 789. The mids and trebles come off pretty weak and the bass sounds sort of muffled, doesn't slam as much as I expected to be. Is this the amp's fault? I'm connecting it to Schiit Bifrost and THX 789

Congrats on the new headphones. This sounds almost certainly like a fit issue. As others have said, watch the fit video and it should help a lot. I have my pad seams at 2 and 10oclock, sometimes 3 and 9 depending on if I want more bass. Spread out the frame as much as you can, place on your head, and then slowly adjust frame inwards until pads rest just lightly on your skin. Once that's done, adjust the frame toe in/out to your preference.

The thx789... I had it once. It had the power but man I just found it so boring for some reason. Lifeless. Not sure why it's recommended so often but I guess for the price it is an ok deal.

Sep 9, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #12,021 of 22,434
BTW it's there any DAP to drive 1266 good? KANN CUBE?
The abyss is not a mobile headphone imo. I owned the cube before I bought the 1266, so I never had the chance to try it. Not a DAP, but someone in this thread mentioned an ifi micro black label for mobile use.

Sep 9, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #12,022 of 22,434
I don't want them go outdoor but only on bed, i think about WOO WA8 too.

After adjuesments i like my CC pads more that OG.

Sep 9, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #12,023 of 22,434
That looks interesting. In terms of footprint a TT2 will probably fit on a bedside table. A bit more pricey though.. :)

Sep 9, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #12,025 of 22,434
Congrats on the new headphones. This sounds almost certainly like a fit issue. As others have said, watch the fit video and it should help a lot. I have my pad seams at 2 and 10oclock, sometimes 3 and 9 depending on if I want more bass. Spread out the frame as much as you can, place on your head, and then slowly adjust frame inwards until pads rest just lightly on your skin. Once that's done, adjust the frame toe in/out to your preference.

The thx789... I had it once. It had the power but man I just found it so boring for some reason. Lifeless. Not sure why it's recommended so often but I guess for the price it is an ok deal.

Thanks for the advice.I wasn't aware that you can adjust the pads to change the sound. I'm going to try to play around with it to see if it changes anything. THX is pretty decent. It tamed the highs of my HD800s when I used it on a Schiit Jotunheim.

Sep 9, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #12,026 of 22,434
What are your thoughts on tt2 and abyss pairing?
You didn’t ask me, but I first drove the TCs out of the TT2 I had at the time. I thought everything sounded good, but I felt the bass was lacking, at least compared to what others were saying. I moved to a WA33 and everything sounded better. The bass was amazing, much more quantity and quality compared to the TT2. So, I came to the conclusion that the TT2 is too underpowered for the TCs

Sep 9, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #12,030 of 22,434
This is a pretty good option..

20200910_074519-01.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back