The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #12,061 of 22,434
How big / small is the difference between Chord Dave + Abyss and Chord Dave + external amp + Abyss?

If the difference is quite substantial, then I will wait and see if Abyss will release a new version that work straight out of Chord Dave without much problems.

Normally I would do these tests myself but I don't know anyone who has an Abyss :p

I wrote a detailed post about this (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/post-14394739) and it still applies also to the TC and to other amps I have tried in the meantime.
In short, the Abyss TC do benefit from a top quality amp, but even direct out of the DAVE would still be my favorite headphone experience (except perhaps for a Viva Audio Solista or Riviera AIC-10 driving a Susvara), so choosing not to try the TC just because the DAVE hp out does not provide the ultimate experience out of it is not what I would recommend.
That said, on the financial side getting an AB-1266 with a DAVE is a commitment to financial threat, because sooner or later you would want to add an amp, and if you are like me you will discover that only a high end amp actually provides a tangible benefit on the TC without compromising the DAVE hp output strengths

I just picked up a new TC yesterday. Compared to my Abyss Phi with CC pads there is more detail but out of the box (I have probably 5 hours on it) the soundstage is noticeably smaller. Anyone else notice this?

I noticed this, together with some nasal midrange and a dryish bass with the TC out of the box when I upgraded from a Phi + CC pads, but after about 20-30h the TC was on par or outperforming the Phi + CC pads all across the board.

What's the minimal power output for Abyss 1266 TC? Is 3 watts a channel enough to drive it?

For reference, the XI Audio Formula S, an amp that was originally developed for the AB-1266, and on which JPS labs collaborated directly, has about 2.5W on 47ohm, so 3W should be fine. I owned the Formula S and I rarely went above 12 o'clock on the volume pot when I had it (same on my current Riviera AIC-10, which has more or less the same output power).
I tried much more powerful amps, like speaker amps up to 220W on 8ohm, and I could not notice a clear sonic added value due to sheer power w.r.t. a 2.5-3W amp, rather differences in character due to each amp overall design principles and implementation.

Sep 16, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #12,062 of 22,434
More complicated than that. I have a Schiit Magnius with 3.6 watts into 50 ohms. The TC gets loud enough, but sounds thin. I had a Woo WA6se that put out 1.5 watts and it sounded really good with plenty of volume. The amp needs current reserves is my feeling.

Sep 17, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #12,063 of 22,434
My frame screw is a little loose. And the tautness of the new headband rubber rings keeps pulling the frame closer together. I got fed up of constantly having to spread out the frame, so made this out of a piece of wooden chopsticks. Wrapped some matte black tape for a stealthier look. Works a treat!

20200917_193005.jpg20200917_193336-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #12,064 of 22,434
My frame screw is a little loose. And the tautness of the new headband rubber rings keeps pulling the frame closer together. I got fed up of constantly having to spread out the frame, so made this out of a piece of wooden chopsticks. Wrapped some matte black tape for a stealthier look. Works a treat!

Neat solution. Stiffer bands on the new headband? And it requires a proprietary (I believe) torques wrench to tighten. I had this happen early (purchased 12/17) and I caused it on my Phi as I was closing it up after every listening session to preserve the "O" rings with the old style head band. Sent it in for a fix (7/18), was advised by Joe to keep the phone in the "Ready to listen" position, no issue since. Perhaps getting a selection of different sizes on Amazon and finding the right tension for one's setting might be a solution with the new headband.

Diameter of that dowel?

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #12,065 of 22,434
Neat solution. Stiffer bands on the new headband? And it requires a proprietary (I believe) torques wrench to tighten. I had this happen early (purchased 12/17) and I caused it on my Phi as I was closing it up after every listening session to preserve the "O" rings with the old style head band. Sent it in for a fix (7/18), was advised by Joe to keep the phone in the "Ready to listen" position, no issue since. Perhaps getting a selection of different sizes on Amazon and finding the right tension for one's setting might be a solution with the new headband.

Diameter of that dowel?

Oh learnt a new word today. Dowel. Lol!
Don't know the size.. I guesstimated slightly larger than needed, cut it, then filed it down to size. Still allows for front and back angulation of the frame.

Sep 17, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #12,066 of 22,434
With any luck I may never need to worry about it again. But my arms are fully extended for listening and slightly angled. If I ever do need to put the new headband on (already have one for backup) the dowel may be a good way to let the bands ease in to a more relaxed state.

Sep 17, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #12,068 of 22,434
Any cable do you guys recomend to replace stock one or don't bother and let it be?
I am 100% glad I bought the superconductor cables. They really do sound better than the stock ones. No regrets at all, even considering the high cost

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #12,070 of 22,434
Sep 17, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #12,073 of 22,434
Any cable do you guys recomend to replace stock one or don't bother and let it be?
Don't kill me but I don't hear large differences between cables. I buy cables primarily for looks and ergonomics. I bought the same forza hpc cables for all my headphones. The stock abyss cable is 1000 euros I believe, so should be much better, but I find them too long and inflexible, so I'm using the forza cable.

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #12,075 of 22,434
Don't kill me but I don't hear large differences between cables. I buy cables primarily for looks and ergonomics. I bought the same forza hpc cables for all my headphones. The stock abyss cable is 1000 euros I believe, so should be much better, but I find them too long and inflexible, so I'm using the forza cable.
+1 on the Forza HPCs. I noticed a dramatic difference for the better. My friend did too. No loss of resolution, but more body. Relatively inexpensive silver/copper hybrid and much nicer feeling/looking and easier to deal with vs stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back