The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 19, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #11,161 of 22,434
Picked up my headphones today (second hand) and running them via a moon 430. Wow. I feel like I am listening to freestanding speakers. Wonderful. I was wondering those with the moon 430, what sort of volume levels you use when listening. Also I feel the headphones would feel more comfortable if they sat a little higher, can you get a stiffer headband, or anyone have any tips? :)
I bought padding that is very thin and I added layers to about 1/2 inch. This was part of getting perfect fit. I purchased felt off Amazon that has peal and stick on one side. I don't have to widen the headband to get a higher fit. My ears barely touch the bottom of the pads, no touching on top of my ears.

Jun 19, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #11,164 of 22,434
I bought padding that is very thin and I added layers to about 1/2 inch. This was part of getting perfect fit. I purchased felt off Amazon that has peal and stick on one side. I don't have to widen the headband to get a higher fit. My ears barely touch the bottom of the pads, no touching on top of my ears.
Do you have a link to the padding?

Jun 19, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #11,165 of 22,434
Jun 19, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #11,166 of 22,434
So these are supposed to seal around the ears or is there supposed to be space between the ears and the pads?
A full seal will lower the bass. For me, a loose seal, or even the front slightly separated from my head is great. If you go too far, you'll get distortion. So it's kinda a balancing act, depending on the genre and the recording.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #11,167 of 22,434
So these are supposed to seal around the ears or is there supposed to be space between the ears and the pads?

not a tight seal. A little on the moose side just touching your face. If you go back through the thread, or someone else might know where it is, Joe has two videos on how to make the adjustments for the sound that you prefer. Check it out, they’re good.

Jun 19, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #11,168 of 22,434
Here are the links:

Jun 19, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #11,169 of 22,434
A little on the moose side just touching your face.

Mm, moose side indeed!

1592606632297.png

Jun 19, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #11,170 of 22,434
Just had a vibration in my right side driver. Have never had this problem for the 2.6 years I've had them. Also heard a crinkling sound putting them on without power. Air pressure causing the driver film to move. Looking closely I found one of my dog's hairs sticking into the mesh inside the outer grill. Must've been touching the driver, because after I pulled it out problem solved.

On another note (is that a pun?), I finally added the Oyaide silver BNC cables with solid core ferrites. I made these 1.5 meters long to space the units further apart. Smoothed the sound more without any loss of precision. Very worthy upgrade. What noise floor? :jecklinsmile:

20200619_142641.jpg

Jun 19, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #11,173 of 22,434
Just had a vibration in my right side driver. Have never had this problem for the 2.6 years I've had them. Also heard a crinkling sound putting them on without power. Air pressure causing the driver film to move. Looking closely I found one of my dog's hairs sticking into the mesh inside the outer grill. Must've been touching the driver, because after I pulled it out problem solved.

On another note (is that a pun?), I finally added the Oyaide silver BNC cables with solid core ferrites. I made these 1.5 meters long to space the units further apart. Smoothed the sound more without any loss of precision. Very worthy upgrade. What noise floor? :jecklinsmile:

20200619_142641.jpg

Oh man, well done, hire a marketing copywriter and you can give WAVE cables a run for their money.

Jun 19, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #11,174 of 22,434
Thanks!

Nick is a nice guy and he did a lot of research to come up with his cables. I can't say if my diy job equals his professional cables. I still defer to him for anybody not willing or able to make their own.

But, WOW. The improvement these cables made is really sinking in over these last few hours. I have Rolling Stone's DSD of Time Is On My Side. An early production, and quite harsh. Not like their later recordings. Now I can enjoy it without having to turn the volume way down. Everything is improved.

Oh man, well done, hire a marketing copywriter and you can give WAVE cables a run for their money.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back