The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 17, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #11,131 of 22,431
For those of you who have the DAVE in the chain, do you guys prefer crossfeed 0,1,2, or 3 with the 1266TC?
I'm on TT2 not Dave. I prefer XFD0. I think if you had some older Jazz recording or something like that with mono mics and instruments hard panned 100% Left or Right in the recording is where Crossfeed can make it more enjoyable. Any modern recordings I prefer crossfeed off.

Jun 17, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #11,132 of 22,431
Heard this a lot when researching, my thought is if I'm wearing headphones I'm not hanging out with anyone and I'm not standing in front of a mirror, so I don't care. :)

I can honestly say I don't care about the look, nobody will ever see me lol.

My issue is the fit. I had to bend the frame quite a bit to get them to sound right (distortion issue, smaller head here), so the force is bit much and they feel heavier than they probably are. They sound freaking amazing. I wish the vocals were very slightly more prominent/forward, but besides that the sound is perfection. The fit is an issue for me, but not enough to sale which does say a lot. If anyone has any insight on how to get great sound with a smaller-ish head, I'm all ears.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #11,133 of 22,431
I just received my Rooms stand also. Pics just don't do this piece justice. It is an extremely well crafted piece. Beautiful, artful, and the most perfect fit for the Abyss. No problems with cables at all. Hangs by the frame to let the headband rest easy.. Very sturdy and well thought out. Thanks Stefan!

My Rooms Abyss 1266 headphone stand came in. It's very high quality and good looking. It's about as tall as my Woo Audio stands, when adjusted up.

AbyssStnad.jpg

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #11,134 of 22,431
I just received my Rooms stand also. Pics just don't do this piece justice. It is an extremely well crafted piece. Beautiful, artful, and the most perfect fit for the Abyss. No problems with cables at all. Hangs by the frame to let the headband rest easy.. Very sturdy and well thought out. Thanks Stefan!

Can u check if the top mounts are perfectly level? Mine were not, tilting slightly downwards on one side, but solved by just wadding some paper into hole of the offending mount and screwing it down.

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #11,135 of 22,431
Can u check if the top mounts are perfectly level? Mine were not, tilting slightly downwards on one side, but solved by just wadding some paper into hole of the offending mount and screwing it down.

I need to get a new headphone stand. My JPS Abyss stand fell on the carpet and broke. The bottom piece came off. I think I better cool it on the audio and invest in some soft carpet. :)

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #11,136 of 22,431
sounds like you needed the stand before it fell lol

Jun 18, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #11,137 of 22,431
I can honestly say I don't care about the look, nobody will ever see me lol.

My issue is the fit. I had to bend the frame quite a bit to get them to sound right (distortion issue, smaller head here), so the force is bit much and they feel heavier than they probably are. They sound freaking amazing. I wish the vocals were very slightly more prominent/forward, but besides that the sound is perfection. The fit is an issue for me, but not enough to sale which does say a lot. If anyone has any insight on how to get great sound with a smaller-ish head, I'm all ears.
My head size is probably average in size, but I did a very easy mod with a ZMF pilot pad that works very well for me. See page 396 of this thread. I just wrapped the pilot pad around a string of black elastic hair bands, and that's it. I may glue it in place later, as the pad can still swivel, resulting in the thin side of the pad on your head, but the Room's stand is keeping it in place, so as long as you pay a little attention when you put the headphone on your head, it works fine as it is. If you have a small head, you could add some kind of padding inside the pilot pad to make it thicker, I guess. Because it will rest against the top of the headphone, the strings are not taut enough to suspend it. Or try the new ZMF co-pilot pad.

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #11,138 of 22,431

May I ask where you purchased the stand from? I can see that headphoneauditions.nl supply it, but I was wondering if there was any UK sources as well?

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #11,139 of 22,431
May I ask where you purchased the stand from? I can see that headphoneauditions.nl supply it, but I was wondering if there was any UK sources as well?
Hi Jamie, I'm Stefan from Headphone Auditions Amsterdam. Thank you for showing interest in the stand. Christian from ROOMS designed the stand to my specs and I'm the only one selling it. Please contact me on stefan@headphoneauditions.nl , I have currently 2 units left in stock. Cheers from Amsterdam!

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #11,140 of 22,431
Hi Jamie, I'm Stefan from Headphone Auditions Amsterdam. Thank you for showing interest in the stand. Christian from ROOMS designed the stand to my specs and I'm the only one selling it. Please contact me on stefan@headphoneauditions.nl , I have currently 2 units left in stock. Cheers from Amsterdam!

Thank you Stefan! I am meant to be getting my set tomorrow so I will be in touch over the weekend :)

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #11,142 of 22,431
Very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back