The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 18, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #11,150 of 22,430
Hi guys

I received my new Abyss a few days ago. I can only say that I am fully satisfied with the result. The amount of micro details, full beautiful bass and soundstage is impressive.

They pair very well with the Benchmark HPA4 amplifier and Metrum dac.

Thanks Abyss team, I'm very Happy!
image2 (1).png

IMG_1377.JPG

Jun 18, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #11,151 of 22,430
Now I understand the reason for this shape of the frame, which seems bizarre when you see it!

All the possibilities of adjustments on the head: farther or closer to the ears to have drier or fuller basses depending on the type of music we listen to or

closing the frame a little forward to change the headstage.

There is certainly a brilliant mind behind this project.

How Cool!

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #11,152 of 22,430
Hi guys

I received my new Abyss a few days ago. I can only say that I am fully satisfied with the result. The amount of micro details, full beautiful bass and soundstage is impressive.

They pair very well with the Benchmark HPA4 amplifier and Metrum dac.

Thanks Abyss team, I'm very Happy!image2 (1).png
IMG_1377.JPG
How long did it take to get them after ordering? Thanks

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #11,153 of 22,430
I looked at my Room stand just now after returning from work, and sure enough the top piece was slanted to one side. I found that it was my fault though.

In my excitement to get it put together, I didn't notice the washer that was sticking to the anti spin layer where the top piece is inserted. I found it when I took it apart. After placing the washer appropiately and reassembling, the top is perfectly level.

Can u check if the top mounts are perfectly level? Mine were not, tilting slightly downwards on one side, but solved by just wadding some paper into hole of the offending mount and screwing it down.

Jun 19, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #11,154 of 22,430
How long did it take to get them after ordering? Thanks

Hi, they were ready for delivery, seller in the EU area.

Jun 19, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #11,155 of 22,430
I also have a smsl sp200 888 thx that I'm going to use with the abyss in my bedroom setup, while my main amp will be the bryston bha1. I have an icon audio hp8 mk2 in my bedroom as well, but I'm not sure it will drive the abyss.
The bryston audio circle forum has people driving the abyss with the bha1 and they seem happy.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #11,157 of 22,430
My head size is probably average in size, but I did a very easy mod with a ZMF pilot pad that works very well for me. See page 396 of this thread. I just wrapped the pilot pad around a string of black elastic hair bands, and that's it. I may glue it in place later, as the pad can still swivel, resulting in the thin side of the pad on your head, but the Room's stand is keeping it in place, so as long as you pay a little attention when you put the headphone on your head, it works fine as it is. If you have a small head, you could add some kind of padding inside the pilot pad to make it thicker, I guess. Because it will rest against the top of the headphone, the strings are not taut enough to suspend it. Or try the new ZMF co-pilot pad.

Meant to say thank you. I checked that out and it looks interesting. The band/pad now is actually just fine, it's the pressure of the cups in order for there not to be a gap between the cups behind my ears which lead to distortion.

With all of that said, I'm just living with it for now as these sound so damn good lol

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #11,158 of 22,430
Ok, yeah I don't know how to fix them still being too wide when they are at their narrowest. I'm fairly new to this headphone, so can you explain the distortion issue? I thought these were meant to have a break in the seal?

Jun 19, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #11,159 of 22,430
Picked up my headphones today (second hand) and running them via a moon 430. Wow. I feel like I am listening to freestanding speakers. Wonderful. I was wondering those with the moon 430, what sort of volume levels you use when listening. Also I feel the headphones would feel more comfortable if they sat a little higher, can you get a stiffer headband, or anyone have any tips? :)

Jun 19, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #11,160 of 22,430
Ok, yeah I don't know how to fix them still being too wide when they are at their narrowest. I'm fairly new to this headphone, so can you explain the distortion issue? I thought these were meant to have a break in the seal?
Just so you don't get discouraged, it took me a long time to find my setting. My setting is somewhat pulled out bent in. The pads touch with small gap in the rear. If I push the pads in making it more then touch I loose the bass they are known for. You do not need air gap all the way around. I can slide them up down and around and the pads touch. I tired them with more of a gap and didn't like it.
They Distorted when fully extended and didn't sound correct. To far out and the drivers start to over extend. I noticed that you shouldn't have music playing when off the head as they distort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back