The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 27, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #10,951 of 22,443
I have Focal Elear driver failed twice dead on one side.

May 27, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #10,952 of 22,443
Sidenote: I haven't had Utopias in a while and I don't miss them at all. It's funny how the mainstream press feels that the Utopias are the best headphones you can buy, but within the HiFi community you rarely hear people say that (especially on here). It seems that the people really into summit-fi think the TCs are the best headphones you can buy (me included).

+1

I had Utopias. They were good but nowhere near TCs

May 27, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #10,954 of 22,443
So, I'm really interested in taking the integrated amp plunge... using the binding posts directly out to the Abyss. I know many here are doing this and I've searched the thread for the relevant info I can. I may have missed something too. But I guess what I want to know is, can pretty much any integrated be used, as long as you're careful with the usual caveats? (E.g. don't plug in/unplug while on, make sure the volume is at 0 when you turn it on, turn on source components first...?) Are there specs I should be aware of (and not cross)? Tubes and SS both ok? So many here use the Simaudio 600i which looks like a beast to me to use with headphones, but obviously it works.

Your thoughts are truly appreciated so I can put this to bed. Ty in advance.

May 28, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #10,955 of 22,443
if only such thing exist :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My take is your best bet would we audeze isine20 (open back planar iem). It's open though, so sound leak (inside/outside) does happen.
Isine 20 with a PW 1960 4 wire comes very close, but the PW 1960 costs a bit too much. My customs are the Zeus14 with the PW1960 4 wire although a 2 wire might be a bit more liking to others.

May 28, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #10,956 of 22,443
So, I'm really interested in taking the integrated amp plunge... using the binding posts directly out to the Abyss. I know many here are doing this and I've searched the thread for the relevant info I can. I may have missed something too. But I guess what I want to know is, can pretty much any integrated be used, as long as you're careful with the usual caveats? (E.g. don't plug in/unplug while on, make sure the volume is at 0 when you turn it on, turn on source components first...?) Are there specs I should be aware of (and not cross)? Tubes and SS both ok? So many here use the Simaudio 600i which looks like a beast to me to use with headphones, but obviously it works.

Your thoughts are truly appreciated so I can put this to bed. Ty in advance.
Hi,
I am using a SPEC V1, but the Simaudio 600i is highly recommended by a lot of users. I tried the SPEC and loved it almost tube like sound. Better to audit bro. You never know sometimes they just don't synergise. But I can tell you one thing though, the Abyss will be beast once you feed it power, lots of it. Just be careful with the abovementioned caveats.

As for tubes, I'm not too sure. Enjoy.

May 30, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #10,957 of 22,443
You never know sometimes they just don't synergise. But I can tell you one thing though, the Abyss will be beast once you feed it power, lots of it. Just be careful with the abovementioned caveats.

As for tubes, I'm not too sure. Enjoy.
I googled that amp. It looks nice! Class D from a boutique Japanese manufacturer, that was unexpected.

So no advice at all? I did a bit more research, I think I know some things to look for but would love to hear from those with experience. Trying to not blow up my headphones

May 30, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #10,958 of 22,443
I think that the main thing to keep in mind is that if you are using a tube speaker amp, you should use something like the Hifiman HE-Adapter. Now, I'm not sure *exactly* why that is. Something to do with the transformers and a stable load, but I'm honestly not sure. I'll let someone with more knowledge chime in on that issue.

From what I know, as long as you are careful with the volume knob, and are aware of the overall gain and power the amp puts out, Solid State Speaker Amps should be ok. I have tried a few, and haven't had any troubles thus far.

May 30, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #10,959 of 22,443
I googled that amp. It looks nice! Class D from a boutique Japanese manufacturer, that was unexpected.

So no advice at all? I did a bit more research, I think I know some things to look for but would love to hear from those with experience. Trying to not blow up my headphones
Hi,
I did run my Abyss on a highly modified Little Dot amp. I was using 7236 and 6SL7 tubes. The amp is OTL fully balanced. It had loads of power and I do use it for my LCD 3f sometimes. The Modwright K200 I think is also quiet ok. If u are uncomfortable, better not go this route. Just need to be careful.

May 31, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #10,960 of 22,443
hey guys, i have a question: i run my abyss 1266 (47 ohms) direct from the speaker taps of my integrated mcintosh speaker amp. my question is: the mcintosh has 2,4 and 8 ohm speaker outputs. which one should i use? so far i`m using the 8 ohm but will there be a difference if i use the 2 or 4 ohm output? and is there any danger to the amp if i would do so? thanx very much and regards from germany, oliver

May 31, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #10,961 of 22,443
hey guys, i have a question: i run my abyss 1266 (47 ohms) direct from the speaker taps of my integrated mcintosh speaker amp. my question is: the mcintosh has 2,4 and 8 ohm speaker outputs. which one should i use? so far i`m using the 8 ohm but will there be a difference if i use the 2 or 4 ohm output? and is there any danger to the amp if i would do so? thanx very much and regards from germany, oliver
How is the Sound with mcintosh ? What adapter do you use ?

May 31, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #10,965 of 22,443
When I got my ab-1266 TC, I retired (=sold) my HD800S. In my memory, the Sennheiser performed in some areas nearly on par with the Abyss. I today got a new HD800S which I picked up during the sale. In direct comparison now with the Abyss well burnt in, the HD800S does not even come close.

The only difference is comfort, which I must say is a real strong point of the HD800S for me with the glasses I wear (no pressure at all). But at its price point, the HD800S is a total winner, if properly driven. Reaching to the levels of the abyss - no, not at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back