The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 26, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #10,936 of 22,406
Quick question for 1266TC owners that also use IEMs. I'm in the market for IEMs and am looking for recommendations ideally in the $500-$1,000 range that have a similar sound signature to the 1266TCs and can stand a comparison without too much disappointment. They would likely be driven off a portable dac/amp at the office.

If it’s the bass slam from the Abyss you are after at $550, check out the Campfire Audio Polaris 2. Really fun IEMs. Not an Abyss but is much more pocket (and wallet) friendly.

May 26, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #10,937 of 22,406
I would like to bring up the same issue Roasty did a while ago ... I hope Joe can respond. One thing about the warranty - I got my ab-1266 last summer and registered but never received a confirmation. But anyway, here is what concerns me:

I had exactly the same issue as Roasty when I got my brand new Abyss ... some sort of distortion in the right driver, when raising the volume the driver “kicked back in”. Some weeks later, this happened more often, and in two instances the driver did not work at all. It kicked back in after some hours of not doing anything. I mailed Abyss and they could not pin down the issue (or did I describe it badly) but asked me to send it in. Which I did and I received it back after some weeks. Joe said he found nothing but the redid the connections anyway.

Since then, the issue is much better, but it still occurs - but luckily so far rarely. I appreciate that Abyss took care of it (kind of) but I am concerned in case this gets worse again since my warranty has not been extended.

Welcome to the club!
I wonder if the other guy experiencing the same problem managed to get his headphones sent to Abyss to get it checked out.

So now there are 3 people with this issue with their right side driver.

A bit worried now, since u said that you still have the problem albeit less frequent, despite having it checked out and having some fix performed.

When I do manage to get it sent in and get it looked at (I assume the dealer is going to send it back to USA), I probably won't have much time left with remaining warranty after getting the headphones back, and just hope that the issue doesn't recur as it did with yours.

Man I really wish my dealer had informed me to apply for the extended warranty when I bought my headphones. I don't really know why there is such a thing in the first place though.. U get a headphone with 1 Yr warranty, but it goes to 3 years only if u apply within 3 months. Couldn't they have given 3 years straight up?

Im checking warranty for my other headphones, and its 2 years for Empy, 5 for Utopia, and lifetime for ZMF (drivers).

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #10,938 of 22,406
When I do manage to get it sent in and get it looked at (I assume the dealer is going to send it back to USA), I probably won't have much time left with remaining warranty after getting the headphones back, and just hope that the issue doesn't recur as it did with yours.

Man I really wish my dealer had informed me to apply for the extended warranty when I bought my headphones. I don't really know why there is such a thing in the first place though.. U get a headphone with 1 Yr warranty, but it goes to 3 years only if u apply within 3 months. Couldn't they have given 3 years straight up?

Im checking warranty for my other headphones, and its 2 years for Empy, 5 for Utopia, and lifetime for ZMF (drivers).

+1 on then warranty issue. I did register but I am not aware if this went through or not.

Regarding the driver, I can at least comfort you a bit - before it was a very real problem like in your case, but since the fix it only happened twice in a couple of months. So, for the moment I see it as a non-issue. Nevertheless, it would be very helpful by Abyss to indicate they would fix the problem in the future in case it occurs again, warranty or not.

May 26, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #10,939 of 22,406
+1 on then warranty issue. I did register but I am not aware if this went through or not.

Maybe it's just me (I did get the warranty confirmation)... Had I not received confirmation, I would have reached out and asked for it immediately. [If] I just spent $5k on a new toy. I'd want confirmation that it's covered.

It sucks to hear some folks have some issues. I've met Joe and the team at Canjam and they seem like really awesome guys so I hope they take good care of the folks. I'm sure we'll hear about if if they don't :)

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #10,940 of 22,406
Maybe it's just me (I did get the warranty confirmation)... Had I not received confirmation, I would have reached out and asked for it immediately. [If] I just spent $5k on a new toy. I'd want confirmation that it's covered.

It sucks to hear some folks have some issues. I've met Joe and the team at Canjam and they seem like really awesome guys so I hope they take good care of the folks. I'm sure we'll hear about if if they don't :)

I have no doubt that Joe is an awesome and responsive person...

However, congrats that you have time to follow up on all your open ends on processes done a couple of weeks before. Sometimes things just slip when too much is going on. Wouldn't happen now, I can promise you that :)

May 26, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #10,941 of 22,406
I have no doubt that Joe is an awesome and responsive person...

However, congrats that you have time to follow up on all your open ends on processes done a couple of weeks before. Sometimes things just slip when too much is going on. Wouldn't happen now, I can promise you that :)

Just send an email to Joe to see if they processed the warranty request. I did and got a reply quickly. They are a small company with a lot of things going on.

May 27, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #10,945 of 22,406
They could if they had designed a more robust driver ;')

If you want to see a company with driver issues go check out the Audeze threads. I had the drivers fail on my 4z within 2 weeks of ownership.

May 27, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #10,947 of 22,406
Audeze is a very well known with their driver issues, their driver very easily break. I don't know if they have mitigating their driver issues or not.

May 27, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #10,948 of 22,406
Utopia drivers too. I had one side fail on me when I had the Utopias. If you look at the thread, they even have a vote with the number of people that had the left side fail.

Apparently driver issues are prevalent among high end headphones. :triportsad:

May 27, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #10,949 of 22,406
Utopia drivers too. I had one side fail on me when I had the Utopias. If you look at the thread, they even have a vote with the number of people that had the left side fail.

Apparently driver issues are prevalent among high end headphones. :triportsad:

I had thought the Utopia driver issue was more of a thing at the beginning. Did you have one of the earlier ones? Sorry to hear anyway.

May 27, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #10,950 of 22,406
I had thought the Utopia driver issue was more of a thing at the beginning. Did you have one of the earlier ones? Sorry to hear anyway.
Nah, I got them a couple of years ago (not at the beginning of production). The dealer said he sees Utopias fail all the time. Is that because more people are buying Utopias than other TOTL cans and therefore it's just a result of the large number of purchases, or does it mean that Utopias have a driver problem? I dunno.

Sidenote: I haven't had Utopias in a while and I don't miss them at all. It's funny how the mainstream press feels that the Utopias are the best headphones you can buy, but within the HiFi community you rarely hear people say that (especially on here). It seems that the people really into summit-fi think the TCs are the best headphones you can buy (me included).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back