The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #10,667 of 22,431
It felt plasticky to me. I corrected it because you own one and you would know better and did not want to give false info.

My opinion doesn't change regarding the cheap quality build of the Susvara though, especially for a $6000 MSRP headphone.

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, but facts are something else...there is no plastic on the Susvara. My pair looks quite good and I'm very happy with the build quality and to my ears, I'm right there with this:

the TC is an amazing HP that I love but I am lucky enough own the susvara as well and it is extraordinary as well...very different but extraordinary which is why I own both

Apr 28, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #10,668 of 22,431
It felt plasticky to me. I corrected it because you own one and you would know better and did not want to give false info.

My opinion doesn't change regarding the cheap quality build of the Susvara though, especially for a $6000 MSRP headphone.

Sound aside, I wouldn’t say that Hifiman headphones don’t give you the feel of luxury, and and honestly do look cheaply made. I don’t think you’re going to find a lot of people that disagree with this. The build quality and materials are not on par with the sound quality

Apr 28, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #10,669 of 22,431
It felt plasticky to me. I corrected it because you own one and you would know better and did not want to give false info. I held it in my hands maybe a good 6-7 times and I always assumed it was plastic due to feel.

Of course my opinion is just that, an opinion.

Fair enough. Hifiman is infamous for poor materials/QC after all and yes they deserve to be shamed for it but I'd say Susvara is the one exception in their lineup, despite the laughable MSRP. Hope I didn't just jinx myself there as my driver dies in the next few weeks. Generally speaking it's probably fair to say most people prefer TC over Susvara. It has a bigger wow factor sound and is more genre agnostic.. though where Susvara excels (in the midrange) is really something else. I listen to mostly jazz and acoustic/vocal music so that suits me well. I also like the comfort and aesthetic more than TC. Plenty of people have both (perhaps me in the future) and they're truly the perfect complement to each other, kind of like a Porsche and Lambo.

Apr 28, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #10,670 of 22,431
Fair enough. Hifiman is infamous for poor materials/QC after all and yes they deserve to be shamed for it but I'd say Susvara is the one exception in their lineup, despite the laughable MSRP. Hope I didn't just jinx myself there as my driver dies in the next few weeks. Generally speaking it's probably fair to say most people prefer TC over Susvara. It has a bigger wow factor sound and is more genre agnostic.. though where Susvara excels (in the midrange) is really something else. I listen to mostly jazz and acoustic/vocal music so that suits me well. I also like the comfort and aesthetic more than TC. Plenty of people have both (perhaps me in the future) and they're truly the perfect complement to each other, kind of like a Porsche and Lambo.
Sure at one point in time I considered buying the Susvara myself as it is a great sounding headphone. I know many people have multiple sets of headphones but I am one of those "have one, be minimal" sort of guys. Unpopular path, I'm sure, compared to many users on this forum!

Apr 28, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #10,671 of 22,431
I'm very much for presenting one's personal opinion in its full, unexpurgated form, regardless of thread. Granted, whether a person has the patience to deal with the all-too-predictable and mechanical responses that it might incur is another matter.

Speaking of which, and just to register my own, I believe swapping out a TC for a Susvara is simultaneously an upgrade, downgrade, and sidegrade.

:upside_down:

Apr 28, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #10,672 of 22,431
Its very easy for a headphone to get the simple genres right, where its tricky doing it all right or atleast complex genres where there is lots happening.

Apr 28, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #10,673 of 22,431
Sure at one point in time I considered buying the Susvara myself as it is a great sounding headphone. I know many people have multiple sets of headphones but I am one of those "have one, be minimal" sort of guys. Unpopular path, I'm sure, compared to many users on this forum!
I'am the same, What it does is make you pick one that you like and the other one eats dust.Like what's happenning with my Grado RS1i which I have purley from a nostalgia side of things.

Apr 29, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #10,674 of 22,431
funny, to me the susvara looks and feels great on my head and while not as elegant as the empyrean or LCD-4 I find it build quite acceptable given its extroidinary performance...lets be honest here given a choice between the comfort of wearing the susvara or TC the susvara is the hands down winner

Apr 29, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #10,675 of 22,431
Hard for me to imagine TC coming close to acoustic vocal with susvara.... really incredible... but I am mostly electronica... so it would seem TC would win here.. FYI guys anyone that wants to destroy your headphone dreams listen to the bacch4mac in 2 channel.... what it does to music is beyond belief. Essentially creates the auditory layer of the Holodeck deck from any 2 channel system... I have it set up in nor cal if anyone wants to listen.... there is simply nothing that transforms music into an experience such as this... It a bigger revolution than stereo. Happy to demo. Sorry for the sidetrack. Example... dead can dance live.... voice dead center w genelec 8341.... reverbs off 90 degrees to my side... over 4 feet away from speaker.... speakers completely vanish... it’s astonishing.... and soundstage wraps out and around you with precise location of instruments on the x y and z.... it’s like alien tech.... literally created by a Princeton plasma physicist. Convinced everyone in the world will hear this over the next 3 to 5 years and will change the home music experience forever... incredibly most music from the 60s And 70s sounds best... I’m not a jazz guy but omg what this does to jazz.... I have listened and now love music I hated because of Bacch. It can be used for HP as well I set up with the susvara but TBH it pales in comp to 2 channel. Read some of the reviews.... I had a hard time believing what people were saying about their experience until I tried it and was beyond floored.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #10,677 of 22,431
Hard for me to imagine TC coming close to acoustic vocal with susvara.... really incredible... but I am mostly electronica... so it would seem TC would win here.. FYI guys anyone that wants to destroy your headphone dreams listen to the bacch4mac in 2 channel.... what it does to music is beyond belief. Essentially creates the auditory layer of the Holodeck deck from any 2 channel system... I have it set up in nor cal if anyone wants to listen.... there is simply nothing that transforms music into an experience such as this... It a bigger revolution than stereo. Happy to demo. Sorry for the sidetrack. Example... dead can dance live.... voice dead center w genelec 8341.... reverbs off 90 degrees to my side... over 4 feet away from speaker.... speakers completely vanish... it’s astonishing.... and soundstage wraps out and around you with precise location of instruments on the x y and z.... it’s like alien tech.... literally created by a Princeton plasma physicist. Convinced everyone in the world will hear this over the next 3 to 5 years and will change the home music experience forever... incredibly most music from the 60s And 70s sounds best... I’m not a jazz guy but omg what this does to jazz.... I have listened and now love music I hated because of Bacch. It can be used for HP as well I set up with the susvara but TBH it pales in comp to 2 channel. Read some of the reviews.... I had a hard time believing what people were saying about their experience until I tried it and was beyond floored.

I'd like to hear it, maybe when shelter ends. I'm not too far from Oakland. :L3000: In layman terms this supposedly turns any stereo recording into a binaural experience right? Does it do room correction as well?

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #10,678 of 22,431
I'd like to hear it, maybe when shelter ends. I'm not too far from Oakland. :L3000: In layman terms this supposedly turns any stereo recording into a binaural experience right? Does it do room correction as well?
It’s beyond binaural.... binaural happens to be one of the better recording techniques to capture the “soundfield” but the audio meta data exists to reconstruct space In 80% of stereo recordings. I’m actually near stanford.... happy to give you a demo everyone that has heard it can’t believe what they are hearing... and it does not degrade the sound.... in fact I’d say it gives you the best representation of sound possible... and really only possible now due to today’s compute power... there is a reason Elon musk is sponsoring his Princeton lab. Pm we and we can find a time for you to swing by my pad and check it... I am near university ave. Yes it does it’s own form of room correction.... version coming that essentially does beam forming.... which takes the room out of the equation wether you have treatments or not.... sci fi man... like stereo in the 60s 70s I’m convinced we are on the cusp of a new revolution in music because of this.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #10,680 of 22,431
It’s beyond binaural.... binaural happens to be one of the better recording techniques to capture the “soundfield” but the audio meta data exists to reconstruct space In 80% of stereo recordings. I’m actually near stanford.... happy to give you a demo everyone that has heard it can’t believe what they are hearing... and it does not degrade the sound.... in fact I’d say it gives you the best representation of sound possible... and really only possible now due to today’s compute power... there is a reason Elon musk is sponsoring his Princeton lab. Pm we and we can find a time for you to swing by my pad and check it... I am near university ave. Yes it does it’s own form of room correction.... version coming that essentially does beam forming.... which takes the room out of the equation wether you have treatments or not.... sci fi man... like stereo in the 60s 70s I’m convinced we are on the cusp of a new revolution in music because of this.

Sweet, Stanford is much closer to me. I'll take this to PM, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back