The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 27, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #9,286 of 22,406
My TC has arrived and finally be able to join this party~

Upgraded from my 4-year-old Beyer T1V2, I must say the TC slays! No offense to Beyer but Abyss is in total different league!
As a newbie, I'd say even without mod, in terms of comfort, it's not as bad as others have been saying. At least to me, I don't feel tired at all for 3 hour listening.
I am now pairing it with the Simaudio 430HA. With the ear pads rotated to the position where it's barely touching my skin, the result is an super airy, crazily huge soundstage. But I have yet to hear the amazing BASS everyone has been talking about. I have kept on trying different positions but that's the best I've got so far (no amazing bass but huge soundstage).

Could you guys share your way of finding the amazing bass??

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #9,287 of 22,406
One thing for sure is to burn them in. I found that even waiting an extra 24 hours made a noticeable improvement. After 100 or so, I felt like the tonal balance evened out to its final state.

Nov 27, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #9,288 of 22,406

Upgraded from my 5-year-old Beyer T1V2, I must say the TC slays! No offense to Beyer but Abyss is in total different league!
As a newbie, I'd say even without mod, in terms of comfort, it's not as bad as others have been saying. At least to me, I don't feel tired at all for 3 hour listening.
I am now pairing it with the Simaudio 430HA. With the ear pads rotated to the position where it's barely touching my skin, the result is an super airy, crazily huge soundstage. But I have yet to hear the amazing BASS everyone has been talking about. I have kept on trying different positions but that's the best I've got so far (no amazing bass but huge soundstage).

10 to 11 o clock position of the ear cups
is a good start. U might be too far off the ears. They need to be touching but just. Play arnd with the drivers, turning them inwards just a tad. There is also a video on youtube. Enjoy the beauty.

We are using the same amp I see. But I have now moved onto driving it using a 2-channel amp.

Nov 27, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #9,289 of 22,406
is a good start. U might be too far off the ears. They need to be touching but just. Play arnd with the drivers, turning them inwards just a tad. There is also a video on youtube. Enjoy the beauty.

We are using the same amp I see. But I have now moved onto driving it using a 2-channel amp.

You've described the exact positioning and tuning of the ear cups and frame that's required to get the best base imo :)

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #9,290 of 22,406

So there should be no gap from the ears, right? with 10/11 o clock position, it feels tighter. Before trying 10 and 11, I was stopping at 7 o clock position which left out a small gap between the ears and the cups.
The 430HA is already a beautiful amp, may I ask why changed it to a 2-channel amp?

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #9,291 of 22,406

Upgraded from my 4-year-old Beyer T1V2, I must say the TC slays! No offense to Beyer but Abyss is in total different league!

The gap between the ear pads and your head is positively correlated with bass level. If you start to hear bass distortion, you will know the ear pads are too far away from your head.

As for fit to ensure the best bass: First, try to spread the two arms out to their fullest. Then gradually move the ear pads closer and closer to your ears. Next, try to rotate the headphone arms as well. Also, you need to find the best position for the ear pads. I'm at like 10 or 11 o'clock. It took me quite a long time to get the fit right with the TCs, but once you get it, it will blow your mind.

Also, please note that if you have a big head like me, you may need to actually bend the headphone arms out a bit. That sounds like a bad thing, but don't worry. Abyss has a video showing you exactly how to do that on youtube. Bending the arms outward a bit really helped me achieve the best sound quality

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #9,292 of 22,406
Cautionary note on bending the frame. On the previous Abyss pair I had, I managed to bend the frame maybe one extra degree outward, or maybe less. This ended up making them more uncomfortable than before for me personally, as it resulted in more pad pressure on the skin right above my ears.

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #9,293 of 22,406
I’m receiving my TC later on today. This may be a dumb question, but when you say the ear pads should be just touching the skin, are you referring to the face or the outside of the ears? Thanks.

Also, any tips for breaking in? Any certain volume or type of music? Can you play them 24/7. Thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #9,294 of 22,406
I’m receiving my TC later on today. This may be a dumb question, but when you say the ear pads should be just touching the skin, are you referring to the face or the outside of the ears? Thanks.

Also, any tips for breaking in? Any certain volume or type of music? Can you play them 24/7. Thanks.
Face/head. They go around your ears

Nov 27, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #9,296 of 22,406
The gap between the ear pads and your head is positively correlated with bass level. If you start to hear bass distortion, you will know the ear pads are too far away from your head.

As for fit to ensure the best bass: First, try to spread the two arms out to their fullest. Then gradually move the ear pads closer and closer to your ears. Next, try to rotate the headphone arms as well. Also, you need to find the best position for the ear pads. I'm at like 10 or 11 o'clock. It took me quite a long time to get the fit right with the TCs, but once you get it, it will blow your mind.

Also, please note that if you have a big head like me, you may need to actually bend the headphone arms out a bit. That sounds like a bad thing, but don't worry. Abyss has a video showing you exactly how to do that on youtube. Bending the arms outward a bit really helped me achieve the best sound quality

Thanks for the tips!!!
Adjusting this thing really makes my hands hurt...Right now the pads are sitting in 1 o'clock, with the arms out to the fullest and a little bent out. The bass seems to be coming out but yet to be amazing. Will try to burn it in this week to how it goes~

Nov 27, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #9,297 of 22,406

I broke mine in by playing a music radio channel through them for 5 days at around 80% of my normal listening volume. It seemed to do the trick.

Nov 27, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #9,299 of 22,406

IME, the most bass came from the pads seams lined up at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock, IOW the seam was at a 90 degree angle from the top. This created a large gap toward the bottom of the ear which acted like a large port. The bass in this position was huge, but too much so, in that audible distortion would frequently occur.

I concur with others on the 10-11 o'clock position as being ideal. Those are the two positions I use and seems to be the most balanced, esp through the mids.

Nov 27, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #9,300 of 22,406
I agree with @tholt ... I too struggled with the bass slam that Abyss users rave about. I came from TH900s... a bassheads dream headphone. I was ready to sell the 1266s after 10 minutes of owning them. I felt duped and was very discouraged. But after time and a ton of experimentation... I came to realize that the TH900S have great bass slam but nowhere near the refinement of LFE when compared to 1266s.

Take some time and fiddle with the pads and the fit.

Be patient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back