The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #7,546 of 22,434
In reading the CamJam 2019 NY thread I don't think the driver is new. From Abyss site:

https://abyss-headphones.com/products/abyss-ab-1266-phi-headphone

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Brand New!!!

The Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC is the apex of the headphone world.

Many years of development and research went into the making of what many consider the finest sounding headphone money can buy. Patent-pending ultra thin speakers deliver a most natural sound to your ears.

This latest version boasts our factory applied oven cured ceramic coating in a two tone luxury black color for a more sophisticated look. Larger more comfortable ear pads improve the sound even further, in total taking the Phi's acoustic performance to even higher levels of sonic bliss.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I would expect the words "new" or "Improved", "changed", or "refined", in that "Patent-pending" sentence. TC may refer to the new finish coatings or process as someone previously mentioned, or maybe Joe is just messing with us.
If so, maybe we just "took the bait" and hooked ourselves, LOL!

Bottom line for me; I listened to my Phi with CC pads (added after they were introduced), on Friday and it sounded very good to me. I plan to listen to them again today, I seriously doubt they will not sound very good today because they don't carry the "TC" moniker.

That being said, I do have 2 complete HP rigs, one upstairs and one downstairs, and I have entertained the thought of selling some of my other phones in the past to have one pair of Abyss for each rig......It's not easy being an audiophile, LOL!:joy:

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #7,547 of 22,434
There are comments in the impressions thread from NYC Canjam indicating this a revision with new drivers. The website doesn't seem to be updated properly?

The "TC" moniker I find so over the top. :)

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #7,548 of 22,434
I know your post is referring to the Hugo 2 vs TT ( non TT2 ) so I cannot really help you as I have the Hugo TT 2 only and have not heard either of the mentioned above BUT..... before the TT 2 I had Yggy A1/A2>Woo Audio WA5>Tak300B which was a wonderful pairing with the Abyss 1266 Phi CC. One of the best I have heard. Well, that was until the Hugo TT 2 arrived. I quickly soldered up a dual 3 pin XLR to 4 pin XLR adapter to unleash the 18 watts @ 8 ohms directly out of the rear of the TT 2. I dont think anyone takes into consideration the dampening interconnects make. Even coming and going from DAC to AMP. The advantages I've gained being able to listen directly from my source AND with plenty of power has left my jaw on office desk. Sure, it makes everything sounds better, but once again, I am listening to music for the first time. Just as I was when I first received the Abyss.

I don’t mean to rain on your parade but I’m pretty sure I read a post from Rob Watts in the Hugo TT2 thread that said you should not plug headphones into those balanced rear outs.

Feb 17, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #7,549 of 22,434
Looks like new TC model has newly designed 66mm speaker drivers (previous version 63mm). I expected this step. Joe was able to fit AB-1266 driver into Diana chassis, so I expected that AB-1266 will be improved with new drivers, or that Abyss will release completely new model, with newly designed drivers.

Feb 17, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #7,550 of 22,434
Looks like new TC model has newly designed 66mm speaker drivers (previous version 63mm). I expected this step. Joe was able to fit AB-1266 driver into Diana chassis, so I expected that AB-1266 will be improved with new drivers, or that Abyss will release completely new model, with newly designed drivers.

Well then, we just need to wait for comparisons of 63 to 66.

Feb 17, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #7,551 of 22,434
A couple of interesting findings. Diana Phi has a different, lower, impedance than Abyss Phi CC. Yet same size as original Diana?! Is it really the same driver as Abyss Phi CC?

What am I missing:

https://eu.abyss-headphones.com/col...roducts/diana-abyss-thinnest-luxury-headphone
€3.450,00
  • Large 63 mm patent-pending planar speakers deliver stunning sound
  • Impedance 40 ohms
https://eu.abyss-headphones.com/collections/abyss-headphones/products/abyss-diana-phi
€4.395,00
  • Large 63 mm patent pending Phi planar drivers with ultra-low mass diaphragm for extremely fast bass impact and subtle lifelike details to music
  • Impedance 32 ohms
Abyss Phi CC:
Impedance: 42 ohms nominal (non-reactive)

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #7,554 of 22,434
So now it's just a case of waiting to see if an upgrade is available, or if this is only available as a new headphone. And then if you can upgrade, what it costs and what the timing looks like.

If an upgrade is available, if it's no more expensive than the Phi upgrade was, and isn't a multi-month wait, then assuming I can tell the difference (and sufficiently prefer the new version), I expect I'll upgrade. Beyond that, I'll probably just pass on this one and wait for whatever the next iteration is.

If no upgrade is available, I'll likely wait for the first revision of the TC before I jump on it.

Feb 17, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #7,555 of 22,434
I don’t mean to rain on your parade but I’m pretty sure I read a post from Rob Watts in the Hugo TT2 thread that said you should not plug headphones into those balanced rear outs.
Not true...he said this about the DAVE, but has said on multiple occasions that the TT2 XLR outs can be used for headphones if the power is needed. He just doesn't think any headphones need that much power and that the single out is sufficient

Feb 17, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #7,556 of 22,434
I think abyss 1266 is always using 66mm, just checked multiple website 63mm is only talking about diana.

Feb 17, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #7,557 of 22,434
I tried Dave in a shop with the CD player of DAVE together, the output from DAVE is not capable to drive 1266 very well in my point of view. The sound is not very satisfying with DAVE and abyss 1266, details, imaging is not up to expectation. Also, the soundstage and naturality is not good enough too.

Feb 17, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #7,558 of 22,434

You can use the rear XLR outputs to drive headphones without a problem. Rob Watts has said it is possible.

AB-1266 has always used 66mm drivers. The Diana Phi uses a 63mm driver.

Feb 17, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #7,559 of 22,434
I was at canjam and spoke to joe...it is for sure a new driver and there is no upgrade planned because as it was explained to me there is too much that would have to be replaced

Feb 17, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #7,560 of 22,434
AB-1266 has always used 66mm drivers. The Diana Phi uses a 63mm driver.

Joe exactly said: "Also to clear up confusion on the naming/drivers, the current Diana uses the same tech as the AB-1266 Phi, but it's not the exact same driver, different materials, etc. This new Diana Phi has the same drivers as in the AB-1266 Phi CC, sans a few millimeters to make it fit." So yes, you may be right. I never thought about actual name AB-1266 to have some reference to driver size. Then there has to be something new, regarding new TC model, other than driver size (maybe new material, new shape, reduced weight....).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back