The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Feb 16, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #7,531 of 22,434
I thought CC was the new style pads?

The site gives me the impression that it is a new 66mm diameter driver (as different from the Phi or meaning the Phi?) but it also appears they are going to maintain the Phi CC (now "Reference") in the line.

The TC will have a different coating finish than the Phi "Reference"?

I guess will just have to wait for Joe to clarify things.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #7,533 of 22,434
Where exactly did the 'new driver' information come from? The info on the Abyss website does not mention a new driver.
Abyss (Brand) AB-1266 (model) phi (driver type) CC (finish/pad type)
You change CC to TC and that, to me, implies a change to the coating.

FLTWS you are sortof right - the new pads were released with the CC finish, but they can be bought separately given that they just click on, where as you can't upgrade the finish on the headband obviously. So someone with a phi can buy CC pads and it's ALMOST the same as a newly bought CC, just has the older paint job.

Feb 16, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #7,534 of 22,434
Hmm, the way I read it on their website is that it's just a two tone colour finish instead of the CC. As someone said, the phi part is the driver update and the CC part is the finish update? Seems like they have just changed the finish again? Phi driver upgrade is still an option on the online store.
I'm thinking the text for the website hasn't been updated for the TC, just the name CC has been changed to TC. The description is still the same as CC and that's what the two-tone finish is referring to.

I believe the info about the new driver and "total consciousness" is coming from people talking to Abyss at CanJam NYC and demoing the new headphone.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #7,535 of 22,434
Where exactly did the 'new driver' information come from? The info on the Abyss website does not mention a new driver.
Abyss (Brand) AB-1266 (model) phi (driver type) CC (finish/pad type)
You change CC to TC and that, to me, implies a change to the coating.

FLTWS you are sortof right - the new pads were released with the CC finish, but they can be bought separately given that they just click on, where as you can't upgrade the finish on the headband obviously. So someone with a phi can buy CC pads and it's ALMOST the same as a newly bought CC, just has the older paint job.

That's what I have, the mat black finish metal Phi (purchased not upgraded) and I added the CC pads when they were introduced.

This is from the current Abyss site:

" // ABYSS AB-1266 Phi TC Audiophile Reference Headphone
ABYSS AB-1266 Phi TC Reference Audiophile Headphone

BRAND NEW!! Model AB-1266 Phi TC
We just cant stop trying to get closer to the music. Introducing the new AB-1266 Phi TC (Total Consciousness). Newly designed 66 mm planar magnetic speaker drivers deliver the absolute highest resolution of any headphone ever made. Combined with the venerable AB-1266 headphone design, newly minted all aluminum frame and posh ear pads means you’ll never have to buy another concert ticket.

A brand new generation of ABYSS planar speakers. These latest ABYSS drivers offer unprecedented levels of clarity and resolution to sound, without the typical brightness or harshness. Imagine sitting with the band, hearing what they hear, surreal is the best way to describe this new AB-1266 Phi TC."

Joe will have to clarify for us.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #7,536 of 22,434
I'll wait to see what Joe has to say, but it looks to me like a quick edit to the product page that updated the name from "CC" to "TC", mentions a different finish, and keeps the prior text for the Phi driver from when it was new. And if it really is a new, upgraded, driver, then I'm sure it'll be available as an upgrade once again - whether it's a cost effective or worthwhile one is another matter.

Though since I've only had my Phi upgrade for about a year, I might just sit this one out unless it's cheaper than last time.

Feb 16, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #7,537 of 22,434
That's what I have, the mat black finish metal Phi (purchased not upgraded) and I added the CC pads when they were introduced.

This is from the current Abyss site:

" // ABYSS AB-1266 Phi TC Audiophile Reference Headphone
ABYSS AB-1266 Phi TC Reference Audiophile Headphone

BRAND NEW!! Model AB-1266 Phi TC
We just cant stop trying to get closer to the music. Introducing the new AB-1266 Phi TC (Total Consciousness). Newly designed 66 mm planar magnetic speaker drivers deliver the absolute highest resolution of any headphone ever made. Combined with the venerable AB-1266 headphone design, newly minted all aluminum frame and posh ear pads means you’ll never have to buy another concert ticket.

A brand new generation of ABYSS planar speakers. These latest ABYSS drivers offer unprecedented levels of clarity and resolution to sound, without the typical brightness or harshness. Imagine sitting with the band, hearing what they hear, surreal is the best way to describe this new AB-1266 Phi TC."

Joe will have to clarify for us.

Ok yeah needs clarification. I was looking at this page before:
https://abyss-headphones.com/collections/abyss-headphones/products/abyss-ab-1266-phi-headphone
Which has a different description to this one:
https://abyss-headphones.com/pages/abyss-ab-1266-phi-reference-headphone
Maybe they mean 'new driver' compared to the original one because they have just updated the title of the page and left the original description of the phi CC??? If you scroll down further for package options, they still all say phi CC...
Pretty confusing
I think they need a new website guy

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #7,538 of 22,434
Aside from the TC stuff... :confused:

Anyone compared the Hugo2 vs the Hugo TT (non TT2) using the Abyss Phi CC? I find the Hugo2 does a decent job powering the Abyss, I would hazard to say that it even sounds somehow more transparent, and with greater air around the different tracks of the song than using my balanced beta22, or v280. Which is somewhat surprising to me. It seems that the TT uses older technology than the Hugo2, but allegedly puts out more power.

Feb 17, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #7,539 of 22,434
H2 cannot drive the Phi....the dave barely can

Feb 17, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #7,540 of 22,434
H2 cannot drive the Phi....the dave barely can
It can as long as you're listening at moderate volume level. I did it for months before getting the TT2. Obviously, the TT2's balanced outs made a huge difference and added a lot of meat on the bones, but the H2 did a commendable job for a long time.

Feb 17, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #7,541 of 22,434
i can barely use my dave with the phi but if you enjoyed it more power to you

Feb 17, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #7,542 of 22,434

Anyone compared the Hugo2 vs the Hugo TT (non TT2) using the Abyss Phi CC? I find the Hugo2 does a decent job powering the Abyss, I would hazard to say that it even sounds somehow more transparent, and with greater air around the different tracks of the song than using my balanced beta22, or v280. Which is somewhat surprising to me. It seems that the TT uses older technology than the Hugo2, but allegedly puts out more power.

I know your post is referring to the Hugo 2 vs TT ( non TT2 ) so I cannot really help you as I have the Hugo TT 2 only and have not heard either of the mentioned above BUT..... before the TT 2 I had Yggy A1/A2>Woo Audio WA5>Tak300B which was a wonderful pairing with the Abyss 1266 Phi CC. One of the best I have heard. Well, that was until the Hugo TT 2 arrived. I quickly soldered up a dual 3 pin XLR to 4 pin XLR adapter to unleash the 18 watts @ 8 ohms directly out of the rear of the TT 2. I dont think anyone takes into consideration the dampening interconnects make. Even coming and going from DAC to AMP. The advantages I've gained being able to listen directly from my source AND with plenty of power has left my jaw on office desk. Sure, it makes everything sounds better, but once again, I am listening to music for the first time. Just as I was when I first received the Abyss.

Feb 17, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #7,543 of 22,434

I used to have the original Hugo and used it to power the Abyss from time to time for portable...well not exactly portable as in out of doors but, umm, putterable use, meaning being able to use the Abyss while cooking or doing household chores.. - I rarely did it because it definitely was underpowered (not to mention the unwieldy stock cables) and, most annoyingly, what I’ll term Jim Gaffigan Syndrome (HOT POCKET!!!).

Just this past week, though, a couple of relatively inexpensive purchases made using the Abyss usable while puttering around the house. I got an IFi Micro DSD Black Label, which has three major advantages over the Hugo. 1) WAY more power 2) A USB connection that is perfectly tailored for tethering to an iPhone via the CCK connection as opposed to USB spaghetti 3) Considerably cheaper. I also used a really inexpensive 5 foot $150 micro XLR headphone cable from BTG audio that I used for a modified ultrasone edition 8, slapped that on the Abyss and it was so much easier to get around.
Couple that with Qobuz now being available to use with 24 bit streaming on iPhone, I have found more ways to make mundane things more enjoyable.

Now that I’ve slathered praise on the Abyss, I shall join the chorus beseeching Joe for answers about the new drivers - is it possible to leapfrog the original gangster 1266 Abyss to the TC version driver?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #7,545 of 22,434
It seems that the TT uses older technology than the Hugo2, but allegedly puts out more power.

Nope. The original TT has largely the same power output as the Hugo1. The Hugo2 actually outputs more power than the original TT according to the designer.

The following quote from the Hugo1 thread:

... Also Hugo TT share identical output stages, (except for increased bias current), same PSU voltage, same gain. So will deliver almost identical power for a given battery voltage.

Rob

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back