The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #7,561 of 22,406
Joe exactly said: "Also to clear up confusion on the naming/drivers, the current Diana uses the same tech as the AB-1266 Phi, but it's not the exact same driver, different materials, etc. This new Diana Phi has the same drivers as in the AB-1266 Phi CC, sans a few millimeters to make it fit." So yes, you may be right. I never thought about actual name AB-1266 to have some reference to driver size. Then there has to be something new, regarding new TC model, other than driver size (maybe new material, new shape, reduced weight....).

1266 stands for the year they were conceived/introduced etc.. - 2012, and the driver size - 66mm. If I remember correctly anyhow.

And yes, if it is a new driver, I would assume it's something like materials or weight.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #7,562 of 22,406
I was at canjam and spoke to joe...it is for sure a new driver and there is no upgrade planned because as it was explained to me there is too much that would have to be replaced

Thats rough for anyone who just bought a pair of CC's thinking they were the final iteration of the 1266. oof.

Feb 17, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #7,563 of 22,406
Well, if there's no upgrade path then that's one less thing to think about.

Now it'll come down to getting a proper side-by-side audition (i.e. in my rig, at home, not at a show or meet) of the new version and then deciding if it's something I want to upgrade to. While I have faith that Joe wouldn't release a new model if it wasn't an improvement over the prior one, if it somehow wasn't then it wouldn't be the first time I've heard an "improved" model of something and found I liked the older version(s) better.

My AB-1266 Phi CC won't be going anywhere until after that.

Definitely curious to hear the new model!

Feb 17, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #7,565 of 22,406
Thanks for that update @jlbrach. I really feel for the Headfi'r a few pages earlier who pulled the trigger in December. I'm holding out hope that Joe & Abyss can come to a solution for him.

I'm still rocking the OG Abyss 1266's as I just haven't had the opportunity to ship them up to Joe for the CC upgrade. It's something I've been on the cusp of doing for months. As soon as these TC's hit my dealer I'll be heading down their with my TT2 & BluMk2 for a comparison.

I have to admit, the quantum of improvement over the OG 1266's would have to be substantial as I have a concern that within 6 to 9 months there will be another iteration/improvement to the TC's.

I'd like to think that as owners of a $US4K+, non-portable, power hungry planar, one puts away when guests come around for dinner, members of this thread represent ONE OF THE thinnest slivers of customer niches in Headfi. I would assume that to be profitable in this niche Abyss would need to leverage both the products performance AS WELL AS the brand loyalty that such a small group of customers would bring to the table. I feel, up to the announcement of the TC's, they've done this well, iterative innovation and improvement is the core strategy for any orgnanisation that aspires to be around in another 10 years. I feel with the upgrade path offered to 1266 owners for driver improvements Abyss got the balance spot on by way of pushing the envelope and taking their customers along for the ride.

To not offer an upgrade, and release such a substantial improvement since the Phi CC announcement, Abyss appear to have either mis-read the community reaction, or considered it, and chosen to move ahead regardless based on the strength of the TC's. A bold move. i'm looking forward to evaluating them.

I just hope such a substantial deviation from the methods that have served both Abyss as a company, and us, as customers, so well over the years doesn't impact them adversely, because I love their products.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #7,566 of 22,406
I was told that the upgrade would cost in the vicinity of 2K making it problematic ,in addition i was told as mentioned that the upgrade would be too big a process!...I too find the constant upgrades of products we pay so much for to be less than ideal. The truth is there is a limited market for these uber high end HP's and we the consumer can change the entire situation by our own behavior. That said, i am one of the worst offenders of the need to always have the latest and greatest and am in no position to criticize anyone

Feb 17, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #7,568 of 22,406
I think abyss 1266 is always using 66mm, just checked multiple website 63mm is only talking about diana.

That's what I was thinking too!

Feb 17, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #7,569 of 22,406
Hmm still not quite sure if I believe it yet... If it is a new driver, surely everyone in the queue for the driver upgrade at the moment will pull out... Who is going to want to spend $1500 to upgrade to a superseded model?

Feb 17, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #7,570 of 22,406
I received my new AB1266 Phi CC 2.5 weeks ago. I felt upsad about this. JPS Didn’t tell me new version come very soon during the purchase, it is only 3 weeks ago. UPSAD

Feb 17, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #7,571 of 22,406
I always thought CC stranded for Ceramic Clothing.
Maybe it will be a different (T....) Clothing,
I guess that a different clothing would be also too difficult to upgrade, hence Joe's statement..

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #7,572 of 22,406
Guys, we can be in denial as much as we want, but there are enough people who have reportedly spoken with Joe at CanJam and said that they're brand new, faster, higher resolution drivers. Let's just accept it, the Abyss 1266 Phi gets even better.

Feb 17, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #7,575 of 22,406
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back