The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 26, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #6,661 of 22,434
The last days i have some fun with a modified baseplate for the earpads. I made a vented baseplate for the abyss, with this baseplate i can open and close vents to adjust the sound.

The benefit is that the headphones no longer needs to sit lightly on you ears and that the amount of venting is everytime the same. I readjusted the fit of the headphone more o less everytime i put i on with the stock baseplate - then i got this idea. thanks to my 3d printer it was easy to test and for my it works great.

i have now to earpads, the modified abyss pads and some angle pads (this pair has the same high as the stock one). If you like the regular fit simply close all vents and you can try other pads without much work.

Find the files here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2930056

have fun with this mod :)

True great mod, how do you find the mod worked out sonically ?

May 26, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #6,662 of 22,434
I wasn't sure before testing this mod if the venting at this place isn't as good as the venting between the ear and the pad (loosing stage deep/wide?). So it tried first with some spare pads i have from my th900, the angle pads from lawton audio.

But if worked very well from the beginning. The main effect are the fine controle over the lower frequencys. You can simulate the effect if you listening to the headphone and open/push back the earpad in front with your fingers. The bass gets first deeper (to much pressure on the pads with the orginal design you loose the deeper bass), then bigger, after that even bigger/bloomy and you loose details/speed.

I think with the venting holes you have a good control of the damping of the diaphragm. To open and you loosing details and controle, to closed the air pressure is to high to play freely.

As told the effects is very dominant at the lower frequency but it exist a sweet spot. I listen often to deadmau5 / 5 yers of mau5 / track 1. ghosts n stuff to test bass performance and soundstage. After the first 45seconds the bass goes really deep and you have also a circling sound (starts at 16 seconds for the soundstage. With this track the bass part is easy to test/adjust. When you hit the sweet spot you can also hear instantly that the circling sound rotates anticlockwise - otherwise it needs some seconds.

Opening vents in the front of your ear has the biggest effect, then up/down, not so much behinde you ear. so 1 down is like 1/2 front, nice to fine adjust. With this baseplate 2-3 open vents are fine for me.

I also realized that deeper earpads are better for the soundstage, the angle pads are around 2mm less deep then the orginal pads and the soundstage is a tad smaler.

Due the mod is easy done and reversible it's a great option for this nice headphone. I will also test the baseplate with some audeze lcd-3 earpads, like the softness of these pads.

Overall you can have the same quality with the orginal pads but needs some adjustment every time (also a good thing, a bit more bass for edm simply open the front a bit). I like the mod because it's easy to handle and sounds then everytime the same (and ok :wink:, i like to have a bit more pressure on the earpads and a firmer hold).

At last all this is only possible due the design of this headphone, strange and genius at the same time :). I have a big love for this headphone, my head-fi time has cut in half since i have it.

May 27, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #6,663 of 22,434
Seems like you have found another way to vent different parts of the pad without needing to rely on the big bulky frame... Do you think with this mod you could have a more 'standard' headband fitted but still have the customize-ability (pretty sure that's not a word) of the sound that you get with the stock headband, or is it not really the same?

May 27, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #6,664 of 22,434
I think it should be possible from the fit side, no longer need for the gently touch of the earpads.

But i'm not shure how big is the role (soundwise) of the firmness of the frame. With the orginal frame even minor self resonating is hardly possible - that could be a deal breaker for a regular adjustable frame (like a audeze lcd frame). My feeling is that this sturdy frame plays a big role in this construction.

Using let's say a strong custom frame tailored only for you with no moving parts would imo the best way.

May 27, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #6,665 of 22,434
I wasn't sure before testing this mod if the venting at this place isn't as good as the venting between the ear and the pad (loosing stage deep/wide?). So it tried first with some spare pads i have from my th900, the angle pads from lawton audio.

But if worked very well from the beginning. The main effect are the fine controle over the lower frequencys. You can simulate the effect if you listening to the headphone and open/push back the earpad in front with your fingers. The bass gets first deeper (to much pressure on the pads with the orginal design you loose the deeper bass), then bigger, after that even bigger/bloomy and you loose details/speed.

I think with the venting holes you have a good control of the damping of the diaphragm. To open and you loosing details and controle, to closed the air pressure is to high to play freely.

As told the effects is very dominant at the lower frequency but it exist a sweet spot. I listen often to deadmau5 / 5 yers of mau5 / track 1. ghosts n stuff to test bass performance and soundstage. After the first 45seconds the bass goes really deep and you have also a circling sound (starts at 16 seconds for the soundstage. With this track the bass part is easy to test/adjust. When you hit the sweet spot you can also hear instantly that the circling sound rotates anticlockwise - otherwise it needs some seconds.

Opening vents in the front of your ear has the biggest effect, then up/down, not so much behinde you ear. so 1 down is like 1/2 front, nice to fine adjust. With this baseplate 2-3 open vents are fine for me.

I also realized that deeper earpads are better for the soundstage, the angle pads are around 2mm less deep then the orginal pads and the soundstage is a tad smaler.

Due the mod is easy done and reversible it's a great option for this nice headphone. I will also test the baseplate with some audeze lcd-3 earpads, like the softness of these pads.

Overall you can have the same quality with the orginal pads but needs some adjustment every time (also a good thing, a bit more bass for edm simply open the front a bit). I like the mod because it's easy to handle and sounds then everytime the same (and ok :wink:, i like to have a bit more pressure on the earpads and a firmer hold).

At last all this is only possible due the design of this headphone, strange and genius at the same time :). I have a big love for this headphone, my head-fi time has cut in half since i have it.

Sound great, have you glued the your "3D vent frame" on the org. abyss pad ?

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #6,667 of 22,434
ABYSS has given their AB-1266 Phi Reference Headphone a new suit, made of, what they say is, “the hardest thin film coating on Earth”. A coloured polymer ceramic coating (CC) is factory applied and oven cured. This gives a two-tone luxury black finish and ABYSS say it also enhances the quality of sound by further improving upon the anti-resonant nature of its all aluminium components. It also allows for custom colour options.

ABYSS has also improved upon the ear pads in both appearance and function. The new pads are deeper and more comfortable, and are said to improve acoustics. The new pads will be standard issue with the new CC model, and will also be sold separately as an upgrade for any older model AB-1266.

Pricing for the new AB-1266 Phi CC is $4995 USD for the Lite version, $5995 USD for Deluxe, and $7995 USD for the Complete. Current Euro prices will remain the same.

Jun 1, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #6,668 of 22,434
ABYSS has given their AB-1266 Phi Reference Headphone a new suit, made of, what they say is, “the hardest thin film coating on Earth”. A coloured polymer ceramic coating (CC) is factory applied and oven cured. This gives a two-tone luxury black finish and ABYSS say it also enhances the quality of sound by further improving upon the anti-resonant nature of its all aluminium components. It also allows for custom colour options.

ABYSS has also improved upon the ear pads in both appearance and function. The new pads are deeper and more comfortable, and are said to improve acoustics. The new pads will be standard issue with the new CC model, and will also be sold separately as an upgrade for any older model AB-1266.

Pricing for the new AB-1266 Phi CC is $4995 USD for the Lite version, $5995 USD for Deluxe, and $7995 USD for the Complete. Current Euro prices will remain the same.

Is there really any color other than black that people want their headphone in?

Jun 1, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #6,669 of 22,434
So... the ABYSS 1266 PHI CC is a new upgrade with better sound improvement, I just bought the phi for half a year and the upgrade is here:triportsad:.. Is there any chance to upgrade the 1266 phi to CC?

Jun 1, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #6,671 of 22,434
So... the ABYSS 1266 PHI CC is a new upgrade with better sound improvement, I just bought the phi for half a year and the upgrade is here:triportsad:.. Is there any chance to upgrade the 1266 phi to CC?

I'm not sure if you would be able to hear much difference with a different type of paint... I'd say if you asked Joe there would be options for you if you really wanted it.

Is there really any color other than black that people want their headphone in?

Purple and gold obviously.

Jun 2, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #6,673 of 22,434
i cant imagine anyone possibly upgrading a Phi due to a new paint job lol....i say that ass a Phi owner and a habitual upgrader

Jun 2, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #6,674 of 22,434
It's not just the paint job, the pads have also been upgraded. :ksc75smile:

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #6,675 of 22,434
Of course, knowing your beloved, expensive and relatively new toy looses the flagship status is never pleasing … Also, the value of the current Phi in the used market is going to suffer from the CC introduction.

That said, I am not even remotely thinking of selling mines in the foreseeable future, and I am not sure the ceramic coating SQ enhancement "by further improving upon the anti-resonant nature of its all aluminium components" is going to be dramatic.

On the other hand, I am happy to see the new pads, which look more comfy and luxurious, and, based on my experience on how sensitive the Abyss are to pads positioning, I am prone to believe that they will indeed affect the sound presentation as well in a noticeable way. They are not cheap, but I am pre-ordering a pair.

In the end, it is good that JPS provides an upgrade path to current Abyss owners as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back