The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 17, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #6,646 of 22,392
New 1266 pads are coming in July, Can order from the ABYSS website or from your dealer. They are slightly deeper and softer, and offer a bit larger soundstage.
Will let you know when available.

Any details on pricing at this point? Or is that info coming at a later date closer to release? The original pads were/are a bit on the expensive side so I'm hoping these are closer to Dianas pads in cost ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :)

May 17, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #6,647 of 22,392
New 1266 pads are coming in July, Can order from the ABYSS website or from your dealer. They are slightly deeper and softer, and offer a bit larger soundstage.
Will let you know when available.

Joe

Will the new pads ship with new headphones ordered after july or will they be optional?

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #6,648 of 22,392
@Joe Skubinski, first,looking forward to giving the new pads for a spin, second, so how was the Bavarian Single Malt?!?!?

May 17, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #6,650 of 22,392
People shouldn't forget the all velour custom earpads that Joe made a few months back.

I think only one person owned them.

As far as I remember it was Beolab and they were Alcantara. He special ordered them I think, a one off.

May 18, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #6,652 of 22,392
Joe

Will the new pads ship with new headphones ordered after july or will they be optional?
They will ship with new orders going forward.

Any details on pricing at this point? Or is that info coming at a later date closer to release? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :)
Unfortunately they will not be inexpensive.

@Joe Skubinski, first,looking forward to giving the new pads for a spin, second, so how was the Bavarian Single Malt?!?!?
Even though it wasn't aged smooth it kept me coming back for more. smiley_abyss1.png

Last edited:
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
May 19, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #6,654 of 22,392
15267315783523068014026914012011.jpg For those of you with a hot spot on the apex of your head OR with the ear pads sitting too low, I suggested an easy solution that works for me but you will need to find a squarish foam pad about an inch in thickness. You will cut a circle in the centre of it, which takes the pressure off of the apex and spreads it around the rim of the circle of the sponge. It's not the most attractive but I can wear my Abyss for hours with feeling any discomfort at the top of my head. I'll try to take a picture later.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #6,655 of 22,392
No Problem, let me know how it goes. :)

I am still getting used to the way it fits, but so far it feels more secure and it's nice not having the headphones rest on the tops of my ears.
I think I like it though.
Luckily I had some of the Velcro wraps coming in the mail, so I am using those in the same form as your picture.

May 22, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #6,657 of 22,392
The AB-1266 plug wiring at the headphone mini 3 pin XLR.. pin 1 is negative, and pin 3 is positive (pin 2 n/c)

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
May 22, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #6,658 of 22,392
As far as I remember it was Beolab and they were Alcantara. He special ordered them I think, a one off.

Yes i did a special ordered on the one off Abyss Alcantara pads , they look and sounds great, slight more resolution, but slight lighter overall but, great to have on some albums / recordings where they excel .

May 25, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #6,659 of 22,392
Over the last couple of weeks, I had the chance to try at home two high-end aftermarket cables for my Abyss Phi, namely the Danacable Lazuli Reference (thank you, @vtvu!) and the Double Helix Cables Prion4 (courtesy of fellow audiophile @_gamma_).

lazuli-zoom.jpg

prion-zoom.jpg

I am considering a replacement of the stock JPS cable mainly for two reasons: first, I don’t like its looks and ergonomics, and, second, I am looking for ways to solve the sibilance issue I am still having (while much reduced after some efforts in other areas of my system) on some female vocal tracks.

I was a bit skeptical about how audible the effect of headphone cables would have been, especially considering I am far from having golden ears, so I was prepared to hear negligible or no differences at all (also given the good reputation of the stock JPS cable), and stay satisfied with an improvement on the aesthetics and handling side.

Obviously, I was wrong.

Since the very first listening, it was very easy to pick the main changes provided by the Lazuli or Prion4 to the “baseline” Phi signature with the JPS.

To put it simple, the Lazuli was markedly warmer while the Prion4 was clearly more detailed and grain-free.

As long as the listening time and tracks / genres variability increased, the comparative character of the three cables became more delineated, and it was easier to articulate more, on top of the blunt distinction above.

Trying to categorize the outcome of my experience, here are some notes.

For the sake of clarity, all three cables provided a tremendous sound quality, and the differences, while clearly detectable in a critical listening mode, are in form of nuances, at least for my sensitivity.

Look and Feel

Both Lazuli and Prion4 exude high-level handcraft.

I prefer the Lazuli by a fair margin, because it is very fat and satisfying to handle, yet not too heavy and has great flexibility. Also, I like that it has an Y-shaped sheathing that makes my rig look more clean, compared to the two-cord design of the JPS and Prion4.

The stock JPS looks cheap in comparison to the other two, and I don’t like its quite stiff, plasticky and sticky sheathing.

jps.jpg

Bass

The bass is one of the areas where the differences were easiest to detect.

The Lazuli bass is gorgeously deep and rich of harmonics, very full while remaining under control and not overwhelming. It has the longest decay and lesser speed of the bunch, with very pleasing results on the right tracks.

The Prion4 bass is extremely deep, but also extremely tight. You get a nice punch, and very easy to follow double-bass (or electric bass) lines, while in some cases you miss the richness and bloom of the Lazuli.

The JPS sits in between the two, and it is more aligned to my tastes. It is full and rich enough where you expect it to be, while remaining extremely fast and impactful. The signature visceral impact of the Abyss is best rendered with the stock JPS cable in my opinion.

Midrange

Here, the Lazuli is the winner for me because it provides the right amount of warmth to the Phi, while remaining resolving and detailed enough. The vocals, for example, have more body and flesh to the bones, and the wooden instruments are richer, more palpable and ... woody.

Also, the presence of vocals / solo instruments is enhanced, due to a more forward display.

The main difference I could detect between the JPS and the Prion4 was about detail retrieval, which is extreme, almost spooky at times, on the Prion4, which was also slightly more liquid, grain-free.

Both Prion4 and JPS share a neutral / cold-ish midrange, where the Prion4 further accentuates the analytical character of the Phi.

Trebles

Here I preferred the Prion4. It was the only one to almost completely dissolve my idiosyncrasy with sibilant passages / digital glare, and has an extension and smoothness that makes plucked instruments such as guitar, harpsichord sound heavenly, while on the lean side.

Between the slightly warmer Lazuli and the more neutral JPS I could not decide which I liked most, both cables are very good indeed.

lazuli.jpg

Resolution, Transparency and Detail

This is another area where I would put the Prion4 as the winner. I was able to hear more easily details, background noises. Articulation of low-level vocal speech was more straightforward. I would say that the Prion4 is almost hyper-realistic, in that it really grabs your attention on a lot of things you have not noticed before on well-known tracks and that would be hardly detectable in a live listening. Really exciting for an analytical type of listener (like me), and perhaps a bit fatiguing for people who want to just enjoy the music flow.

The JPS is also a detail and transparency champion, and, overall, I was not missing too much the Prion4 when I came back to the JPS.

The Lazuli portrays a more cohesive and unified presentation, with more blended details, and the air between the instruments / players is not like an empty space separating them, but a physical medium (like real air, but a bit thicker than what I like) connecting them together.

20180518_175456.jpg

Soundstage

The JPS soundstage was the one I preferred. It is the one, to my ears, that makes truly shine the Phi at resembling a speaker. This is because it puts some distance between the listener and the closest player, and from there it further adds a width and depth of field which is really amazing. Instruments are well separated yet displayed in a credible three-dimensional space (with the help of the DAVE and its crossfeed – which I moderately use set to 1, i.e. the lowest grade).

Prion4 came second, with a slightly more forward first row of players and not as deep field. Instrument separation was top-notch though.

The Lazuli puts you more within the action (you-are-there instead of they-are-here): you feel surrounded by the music and the soundstage is very large, but at the expense of depth and height. Again, it is a matter of tastes and I can easily see how some would like the Lazuli more than the JPS.

Micro and Macro-Dynamics

I liked the Prion4 for microdynamics and the JPS for macro. The very quick and abrupt dynamics changes are just thrown at you in a unique effortless and visceral way, (almost) like a big speaker can do if properly driven.

The Lazuli provides a smoother, rounder response where an equal or even larger mass of air is moved around your ears, just in a more relaxed way.

Wrap-up and further developments

From this very enjoyable experience, the first thing I concluded is that the stock JPS cable is a very good sounding cable (which is not always the case for other TOTL headphones), and its tuning with the Phi seems carefully matched.

That said, both Lazuli Reference and Prion4 impressed me very much, and while in different ways, they could indeed be seen as upgrades of the JPS stock.

With an infinite budget, I would see the Lazuli as a nice complement, which I could use when I am in the mood for a warmer, more emotional connection with the music, and for most vocal tracks, where it clearly outperforms the JPS and Prion4 for me. On the other hand, if seen as a replacement, it sacrifices (while slightly) some of the aspects that I like the most on the Phi.

The Prion4 is more like an extreme version of the JPS: very clean, transparent and detailed. It provides crazy resolution and finesse, while being a bit leaner than I would have liked, especially in the bass region.

It would be tempting, but I am not sure I could justify the investment over the improvement.

Another two cables that I would like to try are the JPS Superconductor and the Lazuli Ultra. Based on the reviews I read, they could provide the type of improvements I am looking for, with no (or minor) drawbacks.

But, they are well above my budget right now, so I think I will stay a bit longer with the JPS stock (will look for an aftermarket sleeving at least), unless a very good deal comes out in the classifieds :)

Plussound and Lavricables make cables for Abyss as well. They are in a lower price range compared to the Lazuli and Prion4 but seem well thought and built. Anyone has experience with them?

I’d like to hear what other Abyss users have experienced with cables upgrades!

Last edited:
May 25, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #6,660 of 22,392
The last days i have some fun with a modified baseplate for the earpads. I made a vented baseplate for the abyss, with this baseplate i can open and close vents to adjust the sound.

The benefit is that the headphones no longer needs to sit lightly on you ears and that the amount of venting is everytime the same. I readjusted the fit of the headphone more o less everytime i put i on with the stock baseplate - then i got this idea. thanks to my 3d printer it was easy to test and for my it works great.

abyss_vented_earpad_base_1.jpg abyss_vented_earpad_base_2.jpg

i have now to earpads, the modified abyss pads and some angle pads (this pair has the same high as the stock one). If you like the regular fit simply close all vents and you can try other pads without much work.

Find the files here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2930056

have fun with this mod :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back